AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have had my Dish 6000 for about a week and I love it! It is very stable compared to the WinTV-HD card that I just returned to Hauppauge. I have one problem though. The HDTV images are too dark. This was also true with the WinTv card, however, I was able to adjust the brightness level on that card.

Is there a way to adjust the brightness on the Dish 6000? If I do it at the projector, My CRTs start to bloom and I can start to see the retrace lines. This is not good!

If I can not adjust the brightness at the Dish 6000, is there some exteral box that I can run my RGB through to do it?

Thanks guys.

BTW, I am using 720P.

------------------

Mark A. Torre
The Torre Home Theater

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Mark,

Need to calibrate on the projector. No option on the STB. Brightness is consistent with the DST-3000 for me and some other posters.

Tim

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Mark,

Great theater! I've bookmarked your site so I can steal ideas when I get around to building my own. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

You may want to look into the DVDO iScan Pro. This will give you external control of brightness, contrast, saturation, sharpness and hue. I have no experience with this unit myself, but a search in the "Video Processors" forum should answer most of your questions.

Hope this helps...

Chip

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Torre:
If I do it at the projector, My CRTs start to bloom and I can start to see the retrace lines. This is not good!

This sounds to me like your tubes may be close to their lifespan. They should never bloom unless the cathode emmision is low. i.e. a worn out tube.

Could also be poor HV regulation or mis-alignment of the grid bias on the tubes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Chip,

You're right, the iScan Pro is a good match with the 6000 - in SD mode. However, Mark mentioned the HDTV image, which would not go through the iScan (unless Mark watches the HD channels with the 6000 set to SD mode - which reduces the image quality to a DVD, at best).

Glimmie may be right about the tubes. Although I hope not.

Regards,

BryanP.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your responses. The DVDO is not an option for the reasons stated. As for the tubes being worn, this is not a concern. They have 924 original hours and no trace of wear whatsoever. The NEC XG projector will "let" you crank the brightness up into the danger zone unlike some others (e.g. Sony). The Blue and Green will definately bloom if I get up to 75 - 80 on the brightness. Other sources like my PC allow a modest brightness setting of 50%. The Dish 6000 (digital stations only) are way too dim.

I am going to try 1080I and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again.

------------------

Mark A. Torre
The Torre Home Theater

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, 1080I is brighter than 720P. I will leave it at 1080I. It is not as "crisp" as the 720P, especially during commercials I see a lot of interlace jidder. It is still not as bright as I'd like but I was able to bring the brightness down about 15%.

Thanks for your help.

------------------

Mark A. Torre
The Torre Home Theater

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.