AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that XA1 and XA2 share the same remote codes (either remotes will control either player). I would like to keep XA1 in my HT as a backup player to my XA2. Is there any way that I can use the remote to control each player separately?

·
Registered
69 Posts
You might need to get a high-end kind of solution to this. For example, http://www.mynevo.com/ has remotes that work with an extender kind of module the NevoConnect, which can route your IR to individual components.

This is done by IR repeater cables which go from a port on the back of the NevoConnect straight to the IR receiver on your target device, which means that the IR is not broadcast to both of your players. On the NevoConnect, you can use 6 of these to either send out IR or RS232 serial codes (some receivers, HDTVs and media servers take RS232 serial commands). But you have to use this with one of the Nevo remotes, which means that the total cost of this solution could cost just a little less than your two HD DVD players combined. On the other hand, you'll wind up with a remote control system that can also do home automation, like dimming your lights and closing the curtains, etc.

Some cables like this came with my HP desktop PC which has some tv-tuner and media center features.

There's a pretty good explanation at the Home Theater Blog about this kind of thing:
http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet...o_install.html

Maybe you can start there and find a less expensive way to get what you need.

If you could at least get one device to be powered totally off (and not on standby), then you might have a lower-tech way to get just one of the two players to respond to the remote.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravster /forum/post/12982818

You might need to get a high-end kind of solution to this. For example, http://www.mynevo.com/ has remotes that work with an extender kind of module the NevoConnect, which can route your IR to individual components.

This is done by IR repeater cables which go from a port on the back of the NevoConnect straight to the IR receiver on your target device, which means that the IR is not broadcast to both of your players. On the NevoConnect, you can use 6 of these to either send out IR or RS232 serial codes (some receivers, HDTVs and media servers take RS232 serial commands). But you have to use this with one of the Nevo remotes, which means that the total cost of this solution could cost just a little less than your two HD DVD players combined. On the other hand, you'll wind up with a remote control system that can also do home automation, like dimming your lights and closing the curtains, etc.

Some cables like this came with my HP desktop PC which has some tv-tuner and media center features.

There's a pretty good explanation at the Home Theater Blog about this kind of thing:
http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet...o_install.html

Maybe you can start there and find a less expensive way to get what you need.

If you could at least get one device to be powered totally off (and not on standby), then you might have a lower-tech way to get just one of the two players to respond to the remote.

My low tech solution is to have power unplugged to my XA1 for the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman /forum/post/12993501

My low tech solution is to have power unplugged to my XA1 for the moment.

...and mine was to unplug the XA1's IR repeater from the connecting block...

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
MX850 and MRF250 will do it. Patience on eBay can get you that combo at a reasonable price. The other benefit is total control of your system with one remote. And if WAF is an issue, the MX850 is a great solution.

You would program the XA1 as one device, the XA2 as another device, and then program one IR repeater to control the XA1 and the second to control the XA2.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts