AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It will be a while before I can allocate a space in the house for home theater sound, so I was wondering if there was any way / any headphones that could mimic 5.1 -> 7.1 sound?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
This is one of the best solutions: http://smyth-research.com/

The thing it does that others do not do is that it tracks your head movements and adjusts the sound accordingly. When you have real speakers and you move your head, the sound changes. When multi-channel is normally simulated that effect is lost and as a result, the rendering is not as convincing. The Smyth headphone has tracking sensor on the headphone and the base station to perform this adjustment in real-time.

In addition, it can capture the in-room response of a theater and then simulate it with headphones. It is uncanny to take the headphone off and hear the real system with essentially no difference!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm confused about how much data you can get across 2.4ghz under near ideal conditions, and whether that's anywhere near enough to support 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed audio.

I'd be very happy with a wired alternative, but there doesn't seem to be much offered there.

I also want to get something with multiple drivers per headphone. I've had a hard time coming up with meaningful technical specs on web sites that sell headphones.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. I have lots of studying to do. I don't understand the technical process by which special headphones fool the ear / brain into hearing sound from different directions when there is just one speaker per ear.

But apparently there are gaming headsets with multiple drivers, for whatever reason.

·
Registered
30,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasitter  /t/1416877/any-way-to-mimic-theater-sound-w-headphones#post_22159259

OK. I have lots of studying to do. I don't understand the technical process by which special headphones fool the ear / brain into hearing sound from different directions when there is just one speaker per ear.

But apparently there are gaming headsets with multiple drivers, for whatever reason.
I have no idea how the gaming headsets do it but there's good explanation at the Smyth Research website explaining how they do it (and do it well).  My report on these is: http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-45

1 - 7 of 7 Posts