AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recorded some material onto a disc, and accidentally hit the delete title in the edit screen. The manual says once you delete the title it's gone. Was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to recover the title?

It came off my hard drive, so I can just burn another. But I figure this won't be the last time I slip up, so just wondering if anyone knows a way to recover the title. Thanks!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
One person complained about the need to answer Yes to two confirmation dialogs when deleting a title... I guess this is what they're for.

So far, no one has tested and documented a way to read the Philips file system on the HDD or a disc.

This would be very helpful for people who accidentally delete a title, esp. on a DVD. When you delete a Title on the HDD or a DVD, it isn't really deleted, just the Title info, which is the pointer to the actual files on the disc like the filename in our computers.

From what I've read, Philips uses UDF1.02 for its file system on DVDs (HDD system still unkown?). From a Wiki entry here :

"All standard formats for video recording on DVD-style media use some version of the UDF filesystem.
  • Philips' DVD+VR format uses UDF 1.02, with an ISO 9660 bridge for DVD+R and DVD+RW.
  • The DVD Forum's DVD-VR format uses UDF 2.00 for DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM.
  • Blu-ray uses UDF 2.50 or UDF 2.60.
  • Hyper Scan game console uses a version of UDF for the game data."

Philips has a "tool" that can read and verify their UDF structure, but it's apparently for developers or some such?

I also found this SW that says it can read UDF files on a disc and recover it. One of its claims is:

"Includes a fault-tolerant UDF Reader. Provides direct access to UDF discs, including CDs and DVDs written by old versions of Roxio (Adaptec) DirectCD and Drag-To-Disk. Finds and retrieves accidently deleted files, files located in the corrupted folders, files on incorrectly closed disks, etc."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wajo. Yeah, I shouldn't be talking to my wife when I'm trying to edit... that's what I get. Fortunately, the programs still on the HDD. Gotta love that HDD!

The program you linked looked intriguing if I ever lose something vital.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vis2008 /forum/post/15559736

I shouldn't be talking to my wife when I'm trying to edit...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts