AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just got a Samsung HLN567W which I hooked up to my HTPC via DVI. With Wide(TV) there is slight overscan, and I was wondering if there was any way in the service manual for reducing it like many CRT RPTVs can. Or is the focus "fixed" and non-adjustable?

I know about the Wide(PC) option, but I would rather keep the 1:1 pixel mapping.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by olyar15
Hi all. Just got a Samsung HLN567W which I hooked up to my HTPC via DVI. With Wide(TV) there is slight overscan, and I was wondering if there was any way in the service manual for reducing it like many CRT RPTVs can. Or is the focus "fixed" and non-adjustable?

I know about the Wide(PC) option, but I would rather keep the 1:1 pixel mapping.
Check the HTPC threads. Someone has figured out a custom resolution to do that.

Most people just use Wide (TV) for DVD and Wide (PC) for their Windows desk top.

Here is one link.

Click here.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Gonna disagree slightly here. There is almost no good reason to use PC-Wide and I can't image that many people are using it for windows desktops. Trying to read blurry text = bad.

The unfortunate news is that there is no way to adjust the TV to reduce overscan. You've got two options

1) Use powerstrip to create a desktop slightly smaller than 1280x720 so the entire desktop fits within the visible range

2) Get used to the overscan. You set your windows to open to the full visible range and get used to any other quirks. After a day or two it all seems pretty normal.

·
Registered
316 Posts
whats overscan ?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Morpheus, overscan is where the picture signal is larger than the viewable area, resulting in the edges of the picture being "cut off" and not visible. Not noticeable with regular TV signals since you don't know what the full signal looks like to begin with. Using a PC input, it is quite obvious since you can tell what the full signal looks like. This is something that virtually all TVs have.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
How much overscan do you have? When I had my 437 calibrated, the calibrator told me mine was 2% and that it was pretty good.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't know the precise percentage overscan, but when I have my desktop displayed with a maximized window, looks like half the title bar on top, half the start bar on the bottom, and about the width of the mouse cursor on either side. Not a lot, but my previous display was a 50" plasma with 0 overscan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.