AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time starting a thread here, but I've been perusing this forum for years.

Setup:

I currently have a pioneer VSX-1123-K. I mainly bought this receiver because it was the only receiver for it's price with a built-in HDMI matrix/splitter (but I often just use it as a splitter), and for that it works pretty well. I currently have a 4 year old Optoma gt700 (Native resolution: 1280x800, 720p) connected to the main HDMI out, and connected to the second HDMI out I have a 55inch LG (Native 1080p). I'm also hoping to

[Minor] Issue/Annoyance:

If I've got friends over, and they're watching a movie on the projector, and I decide to turn on the LG in another room, the video on the projector cuts out for anywhere between 5 seconds and 15 seconds (being an older projector, it can take a while to establish a signal). It's meant that I've often had to walk back to the projector room, and replay what just happened because people missed what just happened.

I'm moving soon, so a) this has seemed to be a good time to test out ways to solve this issue, and b) at the new place I'm hoping to add more screens into the mix, so resolving this issue seems more important right now.

What I've Tried:

So the first solution/device I tried was to setup was to buy a ConnectPRO HDMI EDID Cloner/Emulator (it's basically supposed to be like Gefen HDMI detective). I thought that by placing it between the second HDMI out on the receiver and the LG TV, it would make the pioneer receiver think the LG was constantly on and receiving a signal, and as such, turning the TV on or off wouldn't make the receiver need to resync the signal. Reviews on amazon seemed to suggest that this would work, and one user said he was using it with a mac so he could plug and unplug HDMI monitors, and the mac thought there was always a monitor connected. I couldn't get it to work, and when I emailed and then called their customer service representative he walked me through a few steps, and then said the device was acting peculiarly, and I should return in for another one. He said he thought it should accomplish what I wanted it to, but I'm not certain he understood what I was trying to accomplish.

So I returned the ConnectPRO HDMI emulator, and have also sent the receiver in to be repaired for an unrelated issue. I may try to order another ConnectPRO HDMI emulator, but for the time being, I thought I should try something different. Since I'm moving soon, and since I wanted more TV's in the mix, I decided to order an HDMI splitter. I picked this one because it was supposed to have the ability to over-ride the EDID of the displays/monitors/TVs, and I thought that might make it not need to pull EDID info from the TVs and would remove the need to refresh/resync the signal.

I received HDMI splitter with EDID settings yesterday and since the receiver is in the shop decided to connect 3 different displays: the Optoma projector, my 55inch 1080p LG, and a 32inch 720p LG I'm borrowing from a friend. And I tried different sources: My Windows 7 Desktop, my U-verse cable box, and an AppleTV. I tried different EDID settings and also switching the order that the TVs/projector were connected/powered on, and regardless of what settings I tried, the same thing that had happened with the pioneer happened. The one interesting thing I found out was that if either (or both) of the LG TV's are on, and I turn the Optoma Projector on (or off) the signal on the LG's doesn't go out, but if I turn on/off either of the LG's, the signal on the other LG and the projector goes out for 15ish seconds. (I thought taking the 1080p LG out of the equation and just using the 720p projector and 720p LG might make things not need to resync/re-establish connections, but I was wrong, that made no-difference.)

Queries:

So now I'm back to the drawing board. I completely know this is such a minor issue but I really want it to go away, especially before I add a TV in the bedroom and kitchen of our new home mirroring the projector's image in the living room.
  • Is there no way to get rid of the need to resync/re-establish connection every time a TV is turned on or off?
  • Might the need to resync/re-establish a connection every time a display is powered-on be caused by HDCP issues/requirements? (The ConnectPRO representative said that wasn't the case.)
  • Should I try to order a Gefen HDMI detective or another ConnectPRO HDMI EDID cloner?
  • Does anyone have any experience with other solutions to this [minor] annoyance?

I'm sorry this is so long, and for such a minor-seeming annoyance, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience, answers, or suggestions. I've also posted questions on the Amazon pages for the ConnectPRO , and multiple HDMI splitters , and people have responded for each device saying each device should correct the problem/annoyance, which (thus-far) has not proven to be true. (I also posted the question on the Gefen HDMI detective amazon page, and the answer I got wasn't too helpful.) I don't know if I just haven't been clear, so in this post I'm attempting to be very detailed and clear.

Thank You for your help,

-Matthew

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
This is a HDCP issue and you also have an EDID issue. First, your lowest common denominator resolution will be 720p for both displays. You will either have a resync of video as things go to 720p or 1080i, but more realistically, you have a HDCP handshake that needs to be established between the TV and the projector and the A/V receiver. This is still the case with all current model A/V receivers that are on the market and all the splitters which I have seen.

I expect Joe will chime in with a possible solution, but basically you need a splitter that maintains HDCP and EDID settings across all outputs at all times which may be a splitter which is fairly pricey, but does what it is supposed to do. Keep in mind that your resolution will be limited to 720p/1080i as the older projector won't be able to handle 1080p resolution. There are some scaling options out there which are a fair bit pricier which could be considered as well.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Like many EDID Emulators the unit you link to lacks (in my experience) the ability to hold a constant handshake.

One of our customers over here in the UK went with the ConnectPRO solution as he felt the solutions we were offering him (HDMI Detective+ by Gefen or Dr HDMI by HD Fury) were too expensive.

The ConectPRO is now on eBay and his system is working as required having installed the Dr HDMI we supplied – I am equally as sure the HDMI Detective+ would have worked (we have supplied lots of both).

EDID emulation is only part of the equation.

HDCP is definitely at play.

Your Source can only ever Output a single format so if you bring another Display on stream whilst part way through a movie the New display has to support the format the Source is outputting – otherwise you would need to pause the movie and reset the Source to Output a signal both Display devices support.

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1525854/any-way-to-setup-an-hdmi...hen-monitors-are-powered-on-off#post_24569317

This is a HDCP issue and you also have an EDID issue. First, your lowest common denominator resolution will be 720p for both displays. You will either have a resync of video as things go to 720p or 1080i, but more realistically, you have a HDCP handshake that needs to be established between the TV and the projector and the A/V receiver.

AV_Integrated, thank you for your response. I'm well aware of the "lowest common denominator." Essentially, most (if not all) of my tests have been at 720p. I don't understand why the (native-ish 720p) projector powering on doesn't cause all the devices to need to resync and re-establish a connection, while the 1080p LG TV does, and so does the 720p LG TV. As mentioned above, the issue persists if I take the native 1080p TV completely out of the equation, and am only dealing with the two (native) 720p devices, and even then, it only occurs when powering the smaller LG on or off, powering the projector on or off doesn't make the smaller LG lose the signal.

I must admit, I did think it could be an HDCP issue, but a) the ConnectPRO representative told me that shouldn't be causing the problem (though I don't know how much he understood my issue) and b) I still don't understand why only powering on the TVs cause this issue. I've been thinking about this a lot, and have even considered the option of setting up computer monitors (preferably the ones with built-in speakers) as the TVs for the other rooms at the new house. My limited experience with Monitors VS TV's is that Monitors never make a computer need to re-establish a connection or resync when powered on or off, but TV's normally do cause computers to do that. It wouldn't be ideal, as I would probably be able to get larger TVs for the same price as a 27-inch monitor with speakers, but it's an option I've been considering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1525854/any-way-to-setup-an-hdmi...hen-monitors-are-powered-on-off#post_24569317

Keep in mind that your resolution will be limited to 720p/1080i as the older projector won't be able to handle 1080p resolution.

While two of the sets being tested are Native 720p. ALL the sets can receive and handle a 1080p signal, they just internally have to downgrade it to 720p. The Optoma projector, for example, normally receives a 1080p signal from my xbox360, so again, I don't quite understand why the that would be causing these issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand  /t/1525854/any-way-to-setup-an-hdmi...hen-monitors-are-powered-on-off#post_24569340

Like many EDID Emulators the unit you link to lacks (in my experience) the ability to hold a constant handshake.

One of our customers over here in the UK went with the ConnectPRO solution as he felt the solutions we were offering him (HDMI Detective+ by Gefen or Dr HDMI by HD Fury) were too expensive.

The ConectPRO is now on eBay and his system is working as required having installed the Dr HDMI we supplied – I am equally as sure the HDMI Detective+ would have worked (we have supplied lots of both).

Thank you for responding Joe. I've seen your input on many threads I've read here. (I appreciate your input on threads, though often I can't afford the solutions you suggest.
) Hah, so on that note, I actually bought the ConnectPRO on ebay. :) And it's currently being shipped back to the seller after the ConnectPRO customer support representative, Michael, told me it was defective. (I got the impression that they just have one [very friendly] customer service representative.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand  /t/1525854/any-way-to-setup-an-hdmi...hen-monitors-are-powered-on-off#post_24569340

EDID emulation is only part of the equation.

HDCP is definitely at play.

Your Source can only ever Output a single format so if you bring another Display on stream whilst part way through a movie the New display has to support the format the Source is outputting – otherwise you would need to pause the movie and reset the Source to Output a signal both Display devices support.

Joe

I fully understand that the outputting device can only send a single format. It's just annoying that the video goes out when all the devices can support (receive) the same resolution/signal/image. And so it's annoying when the signal goes out for a while, and the footage is lost and then comes back with the exact same resolution as when it went out. Nothing has changed. Though I do understand how the HDCP might be what's causing the issue. Would you happen to know why monitors/projectors (at least mine) don't cause these HDCP issues, while my TVs do? I'm really hoping to find a smooth solution to this.

Would you think that the Gefen HDMI Detective could fix this issue? I was considering that device before I went with the ConnectPRO, and even posed the same question on amazon as I had posed with the ConnectPRO, though the one response was less helpful, so I decided to go with the ConnectPRO.

Again, thank you all for your time and input,

-Matthew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts