AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to make SD signal look at least a little better on an HD TV? I was researching a little bit and I found out that the reason that regular signal looks like hammered crap on an HD TV is, that they simply did not put in the SD processor into the TV. What a terrible idea lol. Anyway, perhaps I could run the signal through my HTPC, and sort of "clean it up" so that when it gets fed to the TV, it looks a little better?

Or perhaps there is some kind of converter box that I can place in-line that could help out? For a little while at least, I am stuck with regular, non-HD satellite. And it looks real bad on my 52" 1080p Sammy LN52B750. Just thought I'd ask. Please try not to explode at me too awful harshly for not already knowing everything there is to know about AV.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaycoolJr /forum/post/18129043

Is there any way to make SD signal look at least a little better on an HD TV? I was researching a little bit and I found out that the reason that regular signal looks like hammered crap on an HD TV is, that they simply did not put in the SD processor into the TV. What a terrible idea lol. Anyway, perhaps I could run the signal through my HTPC, and sort of "clean it up" so that when it gets fed to the TV, it looks a little better?

Or perhaps there is some kind of converter box that I can place in-line that could help out? For a little while at least, I am stuck with regular, non-HD satellite. And it looks real bad on my 52" 1080p Sammy LN52B750. Just thought I'd ask. Please try not to explode at me too awful harshly for not already knowing everything there is to know about AV.

Even though generally not recommended (if you have a decent signal), I would turn the sharpness control to maximum.

Someone else should be able to tell you if there is any form of outboard signal processing that could help you.

·
Banned
783 Posts
G I G O

"You can't polish a turd."

etc. etc. etc.

You just can't take a low res (standard definition) overly compressed signal and expect it to look that good on a HD display. Some do better than others but it all boils down to your source.

Switch to an HD source as soon as you can.

Good luck.

Regarding Spyboy's comment; you can spend $ 800 for a DVDO Edge processor, but even that can't work miracles.

·
Registered
536 Posts
1. Get the best source and connection that you can get: digital SD via HDMI is generally much better than analog SD via coaxial cable.

2. Calibrate your tv.

3. If you have good video de-intelacer/scalar processor, say in a mid to high end receiver, try it to see if you get better results by using it.

4. Try your tv's noise reduction and/or sharpness controls to see if you can improve the picture that way.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Higher-end TVs have the best image processing, Sony does this as well as anyone. That's about the best you can do, beyond making sure you maximize your source quality. There are expensive image-processing units out there, normally used commercially but personally I wouldn't spend the money.

I like what jvernon said about polishing turds.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
One school of thought is to turn off as many picture processing functions as possible (e.g. DNR, Dnie, Dyn Contr, Edge Enh ). Also, lower sharpness by about 80%, and lower the Backlight. I improved SD (from Comcast) tremendously on my LN52A860 without affecting HD by doing these things. Most importantly, it eliminated ringing around objects.

Here are my settings. Notice Sharpness at 20 and Backlight at 3 in Movie mode (for watching in darkened room). Also, except when playing Blu Rays, I keep AMP on low to eliminate possible blur.

HDMI

.STD.Mov...Dyn

BackL..4.3.....5

Contr..84..78..90

Bright.43..45..43

Sharp.50..20. 65

Color. 43. 43..48

Tint50/50

Detailed Settings (STD, Mov)

Black Adj, Dyn Contr, Edge Enh, xvYcc,: off, off

Gamma, Flesh tone: 0,0

Color space: Native, Auto

Pic Options

Color Tone: normal, warm1, cool1

DNR: off, off, off

Dnie: off, off, on

HDMI Black Lev: norm, norm, norm

Film Mode: off, off, off

Blue mode: off, off, off

Amp: low, low, low

Good luck. Also, jump over to the B750 thread and post your question there.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Waycool.

Every year the digital HDTV makers put faster and more expensive video computer processor chips into their models in order to do a betterjob of "inventing" the content of the additional pixels required to upscale SD content which is about 400K pixels per frame to 2.1 Megapixels per frame in the case of a 1080p TV. So each year the top end models of each HDTV manufacturers units do a better job with SD content.

The TV network broacasters pay many thousands of $ for stand alone upscaling hardware systems which they use when broadcasting progams "filmed" with SD cameras for on their HD resoluton channels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.