AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just found out last night that while every other speaker I have has a max wattage between 100-120, my center channel is only rated for 40-80W MAX.

OK, big fubar on my part, especially since I already painted the grill and I'm ordering the one that should in it's spot as we speak, however...

In the mean time, is there any relatively simple way to underpower the center channel on my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR608) by 20W or so so until the proper speaker arrives?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo_reich /forum/post/19631669

In the mean time, is there any relatively simple way to underpower the center channel on my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR608) by 20W or so so until the proper speaker arrives?

Sure. Do not max out the volume control. Problem solved.

AJ

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Odds are good you won't have issues. As long as average power is sufficiently low, almost guaranteed with movie, you are good to go.

But to answer your question ...

* Play at lower volumes
(recommendation - play at volumes where the audio quality is not reduced due to distortion)

* Set it's channel trim lower (not recommended!)

* Raise it's impedance (no better than the second method, and would require an inefficient and pricey dummy load, not recommended)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength /forum/post/19631741

Sure. Do not max out the volume control. Problem solved.

AJ

LOL, no sound was coming out of it at all, when I noticed the problem. I went into the receiver's speaker calibration mode and it doesn't let me adjust the volume of the test tone so when the tone hit that speaker the receiver immediately shut down and went into protection mode. When I pulled it out of the wall to check the wiring I noticed it was only a 40-80W max load speaker and not the 50-100W I thought I ordered.

Going without a center channel for a week isn't going to kill me but I figured I'd ask to see if there was a simple way to get a week's worth of service out of the bloody thing so I at least felt like it was worth "something" since there's no way I can return it having already painted the grill.

·
Registered
686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo_reich /forum/post/19631866

Now I'm wondering if the problem may be unrelated to the load since even at lower volumes (relative to the sound coming out of the L&Rs) I still get nothing from it...

Sounds like either a bad speaker or a wiring problem.

Cheers,

SB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts