AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several members stated that they heard that the Zenith DTV1080 would be available at select retailers by

October 1. As it's October 2, has anyone seen a DTV1080 in stock? Hopefully, there won't be anymore delays.

Andrew

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
I don't remember anyone specifically saying "October 1st".

Many reports (including mine) relaying info from Zenith have said "October". This could mean this week, or the week of Halloween.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember several avs members saying the DTV 1080 would be available in early October. Also, a poster on the ***************.com (under the Zenith section) stated that Zenith told him the DTV1080 would be at select retailers by October 1.

Andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Sabin (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
WOW! "Viscount" sure don't "discount". I spoke with Cousins this morning and the latest from their Zenith distributor is sometime this month. Probably more likely the middle to later part of the October. It never fails to amaze me that each and every new box faces these delays.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I work for a scientific instruments manufacturer as a product evaluator. I evaluate the new products for functionality and shake the bugs out. Our company (and others in our industry) also have this problem of delayed product shipments. The root cause is too aggressive an introduction date by Marketing coupled with too few resources for testing. Often, when the product becomes 'final', last minute bugs are found and have to be fixed and another 'Final' product is sent for final testing. Eventually a shippable product comes out xxx weeks late.

This delay doesn't surprise me at all (although the delays seem excessive compared to the ones we've had.)

Since I'm not in Marketing, I'll blame the Marketeers for unrealistic product cycles. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

"We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities!" ... Pogo

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like Zenith has done it again. Derwood posted on the ***************.com that Zenith has pushed back the DTV1080 until Nov. 1. Why can't they just give a release date and stick to it? I'm starting to think they are deliberately lying to us, hoping that suckers like myself will continue to wait.

·
Registered
152 Posts
When I called Zenith in June, they said this model DTV tuner would be available in the first or second quarter of 2002.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Andrew,

I decided to do a little checking, and I believe this is the info you are referring to:

"My latest information is that it will be released in 2 weeks, about the 1st of October." This was posted by Gary Merson.

I have no new info on this, but based on previous experience, my advice is not to hold your breath. It could show up tomorrow, it could show up in a week or two, it could show up in November.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rays,

The Zenith rep must have thought you were asking about a different model or gave you the wrong date. To my knowledge, Zenith was telling everyone the DTV1080 would be available in July or August back in June. However, with each new delay, the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2002 is starting to sound more accurate. Hopefully, it won't be that long.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Can purchase it from: http://www.viscountvideo.com/zenith.htm

I checked this link. $999 for the DTV1080? You've got to be kidding. Try cousin's video here and get it for $699.
The list on this unit is $799. Viscountvideo page shows $1099 list to make their inflated $999 look good. Isn't there a law?

[This message has been edited by sdf777 (edited 10-03-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.