AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any word on any future Firmware updates for A1/XA1?

Anyone know if there will be any future firmware updates beyond the 2.0 Firmware for the older A1 models?

thanks

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
This is about the 10th thread on this in a month.

Robert from VE has told us that Toshiba has commited to supporting the A1/XA1 through at least the end of this year. He's also indicated that there will be an update at some point this year to address some outstanding HDMI-->DVI issues and maybe some other things.

Toshiba is understandably focused more right now on support for their new players with a FW update for the A2/XA2 coming out within the next couple of weeks.

Next time do a search.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SORRY ... did a search just now. I originally scanned the first 3 pages and saw nothing but XA2 and A2 Firmware threads... even the sticky had nothing on A1 firmware.

I see its back more then 3 pages since the last update to the thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post9510869

·
Registered
828 Posts
maybe they will be dropping some sort of Super Ultimate Extreme firmware update on us. I assumed it would be a few weeks after the A2/XA2 got its first update.

Be interesting to see if there are any updates besides the DVI fix...

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/0

This is about the 10th thread on this in a month.

Robert from VE has told us that Toshiba has commited to supporting the A1/XA1 through at least the end of this year. He's also indicated that there will be an update at some point this year to address some outstanding HDMI-->DVI issues and maybe some other things.

Toshiba is understandably focused more right now on support for their new players with a FW update for the A2/XA2 coming out within the next couple of weeks.

Next time do a search.

Robert actually said support at least into 2008 (was told at CEDIA) -- December anyone
? Lot's of time yet for them to turn their attention back to us'ns.

I'm hoping to hear something by April, given there's still the A20 to go!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Well... the first gen player owners have been neglected for 5+ months with some known issues. I wonder what is there to understand but understand the 1st gen owners defecting to BD or going neutral sooner than they would have. All the FUD from BD is working for some, but the continued neglect from Toshiba isn't helping the situation.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
i tend to agree with horroscope. they should fix it for those of us who got the ball rolling in the first place, not force us to fork out another $500.

besides. based on a couple replies in the new 1.2 firmware thread, it doesn't even look like they've fixed the issues with dvi on the A2.

i'm starting to get pretty frustrated with all of this. i want to be positive, but when a company says they're going to fix something, then they roll out a fix and it doesn't fix it, well, that's pretty frickin' lame.

i haven't lost hope, but we'll soon see whether they've addressed the key issues.

i think it's funny that they would "focus all of their resources" on 1080p/24 actually. let's get 1080i/60 right for god's sake.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Patience is a virtue guys.

I find it funny that since we were spoiled with 3 fw updates early on we expect another RIGHT NOW! Can you name me another product that has done 3 updates already in this "war" on either side?

Most people don't even know what firmware updates are, let alone how to get them. Just have a little patience and faith. Tosh has given us no reason to believe they will ignore us first adopters. Give them a little benefit of the doubt will ya?

I'm sure that since the players haven't even been out a year yet, they are still working on some of the fixes. They have shown the ability to listen and resond to us. Maybe Tosh was a little busy:

1) getting 2nd gen players out for the masses to help win the war

2) getting all its partners, goals, and strategies in line for CES

3) getting new contacts and deals done at CES to help preserve out initial investment

Just another opinion I guess. Go ahead and defect to BD if: you are in a hurry to buy a player that doesn't do anything better, but costs twice as much; buy movies that have less features/quality yet cost more as well; and support a whole format that doesn't think anything should be made mandatory on players so you never know what feature added on a disc will work and which won't- That could be sort of fun actually, like gambling in Vegas...except the house always wins last time I checked.

So maybe you should just relax, step back, enjoy what you have, and give Toshiba and HD DVD a little time.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolintheRain /forum/post/0

I'm sure that since the players haven't even been out a year yet, they are still working on some of the fixes. They have shown the ability to listen and resond to us. Maybe Tosh was a little busy:

3) getting new contacts and deals done at CES to help preserve out initial investment

So maybe you should just relax, step back, enjoy what you have, and give Toshiba and HD DVD a little time.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and patience. I didn't know toshiba tech support/firmware divsion was doing all that work.

Either way, we're still supporting HD-DVD... toshiba may neglect us 1st gen owners...but we'll stay faithful......

·
Registered
2,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac /forum/post/0

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and patience. I didn't know toshiba tech support/firmware divsion was doing all that work.

Either way, we're still supporting HD-DVD... toshiba may neglect us 1st gen owners...but we'll stay faithful......

Until the software dries up

·
Registered
981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolintheRain /forum/post/0

I find it funny that since we were spoiled with 3 fw updates early on we expect another RIGHT NOW! Can you name me another product that has done 3 updates already in this "war" on either side?

Most people don't even know what firmware updates are, let alone how to get them. Just have a little patience and faith. Tosh has given us no reason to believe they will ignore us first adopters. Give them a little benefit of the doubt will ya?

Just another opinion I guess. Go ahead and defect to BD if: you are in a hurry to buy a player that doesn't do anything better, but costs twice as much; buy movies that have less features/quality yet cost more as well; and support a whole format that doesn't think anything should be made mandatory on players so you never know what feature added on a disc will work and which won't- That could be sort of fun actually, like gambling in Vegas...except the house always wins last time I checked.

PS3 has had 3 firmware updates and did so in the course of a month. Toshiba's stopped its firmware updates as soon as they had A2's about to arrive. Now that the A2's here, they're all about that.

There's only so much they can do with the old hardware, admittedly, but really Toshiba has no reason to update the A1. They hope that everyone who bought into the A1 will go buy into the A2 or XA2 or A20. Helps their "sales numbers" to have the same people buying the hardware over and over as it inflates their units in homes numbers.

So what reason is there for them to update the A1 they don't even sell anymore? Want a Toshiba update? Go buy an A2 and get some updates until the inevitable A3 comes along. Then no more A2 updates for you.

What Toshiba says it wants to do isn't always what it winds up doing. I'd not count on any more A1 updates. And I'm one of those poor souls with an A1 suffering from audio sync...

·
Registered
10,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman /forum/post/0

I've got the A1 and a XA2. My feeling is if they had released a bug free A2 & XA2 Toshiba could have spent their time fixing the A1 issues.

Jim

True words of wisdom. My sentiments exactly..I was ready to spring for the XA2 but am holding off for awhile to see how the problems are handled. In the meantime, Toshiba needs to fix some of the outstanding issues with the A1/XA1. Otherwise, they risk losing future support from the early adopters who've already paid the price of admission, like me.
The fact that the A2/XA2 's still suffer from 1st generation-type issues is not totally comforting.

ss9001

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman /forum/post/0

I've got the A1 and a XA2. My feeling is if they had released a bug free A2 & XA2 Toshiba could have spent their time fixing the A1 issues.

Jim

Well... if Toshiba had fixed the outstanding issues on the 1st gen prior to releasing the 2nd gen, then the 2 gen wouldn't have suffered from 1st gen issues? Toshiba needs to do diligence here, or at least show they're trying. I see more formal HD-DVD player owners buying PS3's... just look at poll. The poll says almost 50% of PS3 owners also own HD-DVD players. It seems like toshiba's working for Sony in helping 1st gen owners defect.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac /forum/post/0

Well... if Toshiba had fixed the outstanding issues on the 1st gen prior to releasing the 2nd gen, then the 2 gen wouldn't have suffered from 1st gen issues? Toshiba needs to do diligence here, or at least show they're trying. I see more formal HD-DVD player owners buying PS3's... just look at poll. The poll says almost 50% of PS3 owners also own HD-DVD players. It seems like toshiba's working for Sony in helping 1st gen owners defect.

Seems like a tough situation for Toshiba, but their primary purpose has to be to win the average consumer (worldwide), and that means deliver the cleanest mass volume player they reasonably can and in a timely manner. Just as their attention was turned to the G1, so it now must be turned to G2 -- G2 consumer reaction now being at least as important as that of G1 used to be.

So yes, I guess we're unavoidably second class citizen's right now, but that doesn't mean we're forgotten. If the A2 isn't highly successful, then we can forget any hopes of further studio neutrality from the BDA side, and could easily lose Universal as HD-DVD only. Personally, I'm rooting 100% for Toshiba being ueber successful with both the US and European launches (with that nice lead on the PS3 in Europe
) and thereby presenting a huge case to the BR studios.

I definitely want to see 2.1 show up, but there's so much at stake that I have no problem with hanging tight until they can safely return their attention to us.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.