AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently subscribe to Dish network, but am seriously considering a move to Directv solely for HDTV. I live in a condo, so the option of installing a second dish to receive HDTV is out of the question.

Now here is where Comcast comes in. When I gave them the boot about a year ago, the picture on most (analog) stations was horrible. The NY locals were among the worst. Now if they were to offer NY local HDTV, while throwing in HBO, and Showtime HD, and possibly MSG and Fox Sports NY, I would likely switch back to cable for the convenience.

So if anyone has any info on the possibility that Comcast may offer HDTV sometime in the very near future, I would be most appreciative. Oh yeah..I am in East Brunswick, NJ.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I sent them an e-mail two weeks ago asking them when they would have HD. They responded back saying they are still upgrading all their systems and don't expect HD for at least 18-24 months. So looks like at least two years, knowing them, three or four.

I have to admit I don't like Comcast. They still don't offer a cable modem in my area. Their signal is horrible. They just raised the price on cable. They are a mini-monopoly with poor quality service. I wish another cable company would come in and give them some competition. The only reason I keep them is for the Comcast Sports Channel (Flyers, Sixers, Phillies, etc). I can't believe they make you purchase a more expensive package for this channel. I should be able to get it via OTA. Enough from me now.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Boy don't get me going on Comcast. I had Comcast here in Simi Valley, CA for many years. Their picture quality was terrible and they didn't pass on stereo programs in stereo. When I called them on the lack of stereo they stated that would be solved when they went digital... yeah, that was four years ago. My finest moment was when I got Dish and cancelled Comcast. However they got the last laugh. When I cancelled they continued to bill me adding penalties. I called them and they said to ignore it because the cancellation would catch up later. When it did they cancelled the charges but not the penalties. I finally just paid the $3 pemality to get rid if them. I will NEVER go back.

I now have Dishnetwork the picture is fantistically better quality and the basic cable they charge $39 for is $22 at Dish. Of course the 6000 and HD on Dish is a bonus.

Rick

·
Registered
157 Posts
Comcast - a company you just love to hate :)

I too live in Simi and have been amazed at what a slipshod operation Comcast is. Watching Comcast cable is like watching 3rd world television - channels bleed into each other, drop in and out for no reason, etc. The cable in Iraq is better.

People in the valley sometimes refer to them as Comspaz.

Comcast also does bright and customer-oriented things like taking the whole system down for servicing on Friday night at 8pm. It also seems that there are more foriegn language and home shopping channels than normal channels. Many channels are interleaved in a strange and wonderful timesharing arrangment with...yet more home shopping channels! In fact, every time they annouce new channels, at least 1/2 of them are...home shopping channels! I guess people just can't buy enough crap from HSN.

Anyway, I have a great Comcast story: A few years ago I get a knock on my door and there's a Comcast technician standing on my porch with a stern look on his face. He tells me that we're over 15 days late on our cable payment and demands that I write him a check right now or he'll disconnect our service. Trying to restrain myself from leaping at him and strangling him with some RG59U, I calmly tell him that we've been subscribers for like 10yrs and have never been late, and that the $24.95 is not going to break us - the check is in the proverbial mail. He tells me, sorry but pay up now - no tickie, no watchie.

My blood starts boiling - every muscle is tense. With a cool Clint Eastwood demeanor, I tell him "Go ahead, disconnect me. In fact, PLEASE disconnect me. I've been planning on subscribing to DBS for months now, and if you shut me down, I'll pick up a dish like TODAY and never renew my cable service".

At the mention of DBS, the guy visibly flinched (I was waiting for him to go into the Wizard of Oz "I'm Melting..." routine). Long silence. The guy sheepishly tries again to get me to just give him a check, but I hold my ground. More silece. After giving me a kind of clueless, dumbfounded look, the guy decides to call his boss, Guido. They whisper back and forth for like 10minutes. Finally, the guy comes back to the door and with a plastic smile says, "That's ok, Mr. Livesay - we've looked at your file" (My file? what are they, the FBI?) "and it looks like your good for the $24.95. We'll leave you connected..for now." Then like a parent patting the head of some confused child who just threw a tantrum he adds, "And if you do the proper research, we think you'll find that cable really does give you the best value". Yeah, right - don't let the door hit you on the -ss on the way out, Pal.

At that moment I felt like the kid who just beat the crap out of the schoolyard bully after years of abuse. I was David and mighty Goliath had just fallen. It was one of those rare, great moments in life - what a liberating experience, one for the books. I savored the moment for a few minutes in blissful silence before reaching for the phone to see if the GoodGuys had any DBS systems in stock. By the end of the day, I was a DirectTV subscriber and an ex-Comcast victim, and have never looked back since.

Of course, on my final bill Comcast hit me with a special service charge for the visit, but it was worth every penny :)

Mike

·
Registered
675 Posts
Well, I'm no fonder of Comcast than the rest of you. Unfortunately, I have old trees near my house that block both Dish and DirectTV; I had both companies out for installs. I get HDTV OTA, but I still need some other channels, so I'm handcuffed to Comcast.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Well, you guys make me feel really happy. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

I've been on the same cable for almost 20 years here in the Detroit area. Digital cable, Internet, etc. It actually doesn't work bad though the picture could be better on some stations.

It started out as Continental Cable, became MediaOne, was purchased by US West, spun off, and then purchased by AT&T.

This spring however AT&T swapped my neighborhood to Comcast for something or other. No obvious effects yet. As bad as Comcast's future plans for HDTV may be, AT&T's were non-existent.

I certainly hope it's better than these stories.

- Tom

------------------

Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
What's Wrong with Copy Protection .

[This message has been edited by trbarry (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well I'm another ex-Comcast customer in Simi. I did a happy dance when I switched to Dish. I enjoyed the moment when I told them to turn my service off. They asked if I was moving and wanted service turned on at the new address. They didn't like the answer that I wasn't moving just switching to Dish. You should have heard all the BS they were saying trying to get me to stay. And get this it took them 1 1/2 months to turn my service off and in the mean time had they collection agency call me saying I was past due !!! What a messed up company.

Ken

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I dropped Comcast for DirecTV 5 years ago and never looked back. And I've installed DirecTV systems for 6 friends and coworkers for free.

I'm not too happy with DirecTV's excessive compression artifacts on their standard-definition channels (which I hear should improve when they start moving LILs off the 101-degree bird) but it still beats Comcast's digital cable and trounces the snowstorm on their analog service.

To be fair, I am unaware that any other cable service is any better. The laws of physics of trying to do what a cable systems is doing at the current state-of-the-art play a big roll in the poor quality, IMO.

------------------

HiDefDave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.