AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Steve has had these filters long enough for the lead customers to already get them. Anybody care to give initial impressions? I'm really looking for someone to use and calibrate with a CC30R filter on the HS10 as that is the one I'll likely get assuming the performance/quality is there and I can justify the $100 price tag.

Waiting,

dagger

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'm close to the top of the list. From the timeframe I was given (2-3 weeks), that puts it out another week or 2. I have been playing with a 30 and 40 gel i found at a camera shop in the meantime, and it looks as though the 30 is actually a little better match than the 40 with my particular projector. I will be trying the 30 & 40 glass filters and will report back.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
flyt100 - thanx for the info. I'm a bit surprised - I thought Steve had them in stock - if it's 2-3 weeks then enhancedHT is providing a Broker service which keeps their inventory costs down but causes delays getting them like this? I'm close to ordering a CC30R, but wanted to hear at least 1 person say they are satisfied with the lenses (fit, finish, performance, no reflection issues since they are clear, etc).

Thanx,

dagger

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am using a Tiffen Glass Series 8 CC40R filter with great success. It was a little hard to find one however, it is holding up to the heat and light of my HS10. I paid $20 for the filter new from a source I found on a Google search. It is about the same size as the Sony Lens and I just needed a simple modification to get it to fit over the lens.

It is not anti-reflective coated and there are no reflection problems or loss of lumen's that I can tell. The quality of the glass and coating is excellent. I will report back after I get several hundred more hours on the lens.

Michael

·
Registered
318 Posts
what is the difference between the c30r and the c40r...i ordered from steve the c40r without knowing the difference...I have an HS10 and Im projecting to a 98" diag screen Dalite HCMW

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
what is the difference between the c30r and the c40r...i ordered from steve the c40r without knowing the difference...I have an HS10 and Im projecting to a 98" diag screen Dalite HCMW
Stick with the CC40R HS10 combo. The CC30R is in-between the Sony Cinema Filter and the CC40R in terms of color correcting.

You will not be disappointed with your choice.

Michael

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The CC40R blocks more green and blue light than the CC30R (10% difference.) The 40 will give a better black level as it cuts more of the leakage. The 30 could possibly give more brightness but its better to go with better blacks.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
builty - in another post someone with a CC40R and Smart III system I believe reported his best calibration actually resulted in not maxing the red panel out and thus a CC30R would have been better. I really enjoy the brightness on my Firehawk screen now (ColorFacts calibrated 30-100IRE), but do want more black level and shadow detail but without sacrificing too much brightness. I believe the 30R would be much better than the magenta 20M that Sony included (which I'm not going to use). That's why I'm hoping for someone to test one of these puppies (against a CC40R would be even better!).

Cheers,

dagger

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
dagger, whem I did my own DIY calibration my green and blue maxed out before the red did, indicating that a CC30 would probably get me closer to matching all 3 colours. Because of my white screen I decided to go with the 40 and lose a little brightness but gain some blacks. If you are really concerned about brightness then the 30 may suit you better.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by daggerNC
flyt100 - thanx for the info. I'm a bit surprised - I thought Steve had them in stock - if it's 2-3 weeks then enhancedHT is providing a Broker service which keeps their inventory costs down but causes delays getting them like this? I'm close to ordering a CC30R, but wanted to hear at least 1 person say they are satisfied with the lenses (fit, finish, performance, no reflection issues since they are clear, etc).

Thanx,

dagger
Dagger (and others)-

No, I am not simply brokering these filters to "keep inventory costs down". As I've said in various posts and on the EnhancedHT website, this filter is a new product that is being manufacutered exclusively for EnhancedHT.

I announced these filters on April 4th (9 days ago) with a clear indication to "please allow at least 14 days to ship". Don't worry as soon as they arrive, they'll be on their way.

It takes a bit of time to line up manufacturing, etc. for a brand new product and hopefully we'll end up having this in people's hands within about 30 days from when the problem first arose. I think that is a pretty reasonable turnaround! I appreciate everyone being patient.

And as always, if you order a 40 and end up needing a 30 (or vice versa) we're always happy to exchange it at no cost.

Thanks to everyone for their support of Enhanced Home Theater and SMART.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to email me at [email protected] .

·
Registered
88 Posts
While I'm waiting for the glass filters, I found some gel filters at a camera store to play with (30R and 40R). I had some red left with the 40, and the 3 colors seemed to max out at the same point with the 30. Other HS10s/bulbs could be different I guess. I will do the final tweaks and post my opinion when I get the glass filters in.

I have a HCCP screen (gain 1.1) 133'', so the 30 gets me some more light which is useful at this size, and the black is probably as black as others using the 40 on a smaller screen. In fact, I put the gels side by side on the lens cover (left and right half), and flipped between the 2 settings.

I didn't notice much if any difference in the blacks, but did see a noticable difference in brightness (77 vs 65 Lux at screen). The measurements showed slightly worse blacks with the 30, brighter IRE100, and similar CR.

My bet is I'm going to stick with the 30, but I will make this final runs when they show up.

Steve has been more than helpful, and said that it would be a couple of weeks before they come in. I have no doubt that they will be in soon and will work fine.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Steve - nothing negative meant by my post, and it was my fault for not reading they will be shipping in about 2 weeks. A brokering model (eg., little or no on site inventory) is sometimes required for some scenarios (many of the large HT/camera vendors don't inventory all items and require the customer to wait and receive the unit usually drop shipped). You have been very supportive of the members of this forum and me and I will be ordering my glass filter from you this week - and thanks to your excellent offer to allow for a free exchange if the filter type doesn't work it looks like I'll just go ahead and get the CC30R (and I'll even read the fine print on when it is expected to ship :D).

Cheers,

dagger

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.