AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the only program I've found that can turn divx into .mp4 aac is super and it results in turning a 700MB divx file into a 4GB+ mp4 file I'm really hoping it gets divx playback.

I mean seriously I must have 900+GB of divx TV shows I'd love to play on my PS3 and when I can buy a $30 DVD player that can do divx ultra certified why can't my $600 PS3 do it???

I've given up hope on my Hd-A2 doing it any word on the PS3 doing it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't think we'll ever see divx/xvid support from Sony. However, you can install Linux on the PS3 and run your movies from there with VLC or whatever program you feel like installing.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think Nero Home Media and Tversity will transcode it via pc to the ps3, look at their respective websites. Maybe TwonkyVision also.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I hope Sony will sell us a DivX/XviD codec too.

SUPER doesn't seem like a great choice for video encoding. MeGUI or PS3 Video 9 look to be much better. And right now, what snoots said is probably the best bet. Just get a upnp server to transcode it on the fly for you.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by awx /forum/post/0

I hope Sony will sell us a DivX/XviD codec too.

SUPER doesn't seem like a great choice for video encoding. MeGUI or PS3 Video 9 look to be much better. And right now, what snoots said is probably the best bet. Just get a upnp server to transcode it on the fly for you.

Thanks for the info.

Transcoding the divx into other formats tends to eat up already precious hard drive space. I may have 3TB but I've only got about 200GB free.

I may just say the hell with it and buy the new Pioneer DV-V400 for $99 and hook my USB 120GB laptop hard drive to it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
On the fly transcoding doesn't use any space but it does require CPU power on the server.

But it sounds like you have a solution. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itaintrite /forum/post/0

Don't think we'll ever see divx/xvid support from Sony. However, you can install Linux on the PS3 and run your movies from there with VLC or whatever program you feel like installing.

I don't think it will be too long before Sony supports XviD/DivX. Just keep looking for MPEG-4 ASP (Advanced Simple Profile) support and that'll be the key.

You might need to remux the files from .avi to .mp4 though.

Heck, maybe they'll even add .avi support but I'd rather they stick to better standards like .mp4 or .mks.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade /forum/post/0

I don't think it will be too long before Sony supports XviD/DivX. Just keep looking for MPEG-4 ASP (Advanced Simple Profile) support and that'll be the key.

You might need to remux the files from .avi to .mp4 though.

Heck, maybe they'll even add .avi support but I'd rather they stick to better standards like .mp4 or .mks.

Same here. The more I use mp4, the more I like it. I'm remuxing a lot of my AVI Xvids into mp4s now.

With every DVD player in Walmart supporting Xvid, I don't see the point in the PS3 not having it. It's not as high quality as AVC and Sony already supports that.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
If you think hell is going to freeze over soon then yes I'd say that divx/xvid support isn't too far away.

I can see MS going Xvid/Divx before sony. Why? Because sony makes movies like Spiderman and other big hits and Xvid/Divx still remains the #1 way of pirating it.

Who knows, I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky042 /forum/post/0

Since the only program I've found that can turn divx into .mp4 aac is super and it results in turning a 700MB divx file into a 4GB+ mp4 file I'm really hoping it gets divx playback.

I mean seriously I must have 900+GB of divx TV shows I'd love to play on my PS3 and when I can buy a $30 DVD player that can do divx ultra certified why can't my $600 PS3 do it???

I've given up hope on my Hd-A2 doing it any word on the PS3 doing it?

it doesn't need to support those, the 1.8 update made the PS3 a total home entertainment beast

install nero media home (you prolly have it already) or TVersity (Free) and you can stream anything you want to your PS3 just fine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts