AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Same here.

Still nothing on their web site (just checked).

I may give them another call (201-229-4000) this week. I'll post what I find out, but I don't expect to hear any good news. If they were going to release something in July, we should have heard more about it by now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well I just called.

Here is what I found out:

They have a model number SIR-TS160 with DirecTV support that he has in his database but no information on it was available.

I asked him for a gut feel as to the release date and he said that he hasn't even heard of a rumor for the release yet.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
 This article was written less than two months ago and it says the non-DIRECTV models were supposed to be out this month (June) with the DIRECTV-capable model following in July or Aug. Over the last couple years, DIRECTV-enabled HDTV STBs have almost all been at least 4 months later than company estimates, but wouldn't you think the non-HDTV ones would be close, especially from the company making the best-selling non-DIRECTV STBs today?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm interested in the non-directv model WITH the digital output - so I can use a HD-VTR when they finally become reasonably priced. It would be nice to hear something from the company about when it's gonna be ready.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was at the Widescreen Review D-VHS demonstration on Saturday and they had the new Samsung STB. I didn't catch the model#, sorry. According to Perry Sun at WR, Samsung told him it would be available in about a month. They had it hooked up via 1394 Firewire to the new JVC D-VHS deck. We watched the Tonight Show from the previous evening that they had taped using this combination. The picture was beautiful from a Runco DLP projector.

Just wanted everyone to know it does exist, although it's anyones guess when it will go on sale.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Samsung has to have the DVI STB's ready for their new DLP RPTV's! :)

Should be out within the the next 3 months.

I'm sure hoping both of these items are well executed. I'm looking forwared to fully digital HD!

Jerry H,

So does that mean the TS160 has both DVI *and* Firewire? Or did the model you saw have only OTA and FW?

That's great!

Ken

·
Registered
32 Posts
I saw it in low light conditions and didn't see the model#. Only saw the Samsung name on it. Don't know if this model had DVI but it definitely had 1394 since it had been used with the new JVC D-VHS to record the Tonight Show OTA.

I found more info yesterday that said Samsung will have a couple STB out soon. One will be OTA only with 1394. The other will be DirecTV capable with DVI but no 1394. Sorry, forgot what the model#'s are.

Jerry

·
Registered
93 Posts
If I recall correctly, the DirecTV version is the 160, while the non-DirecTV version with firewire (or was it DVI) was 165. This was the infomration I recevied a few weeks back.

The last time I called, only a 151 (non-DTV) and a 160 (with DirecTV) could be found in the ( a different person mind you) database.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
This sucks. SIR-T165 was suppose to be out now. I hate when manufacturers announce something and don't deliver. I hope that it will still come out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.