AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
Just test buy it, you'll be blown away.
Well, there is something like a $150 fee if he has to return it to his local shop.

He hasn't experienced any DLP yet, so I don't know about his tolerance to rainbow effect.

He's a game enthusiast like me without much money to blow away, so I don't feel confident saying the "buy it anyway " line.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Well you didn't say anything about him being a game enthusiast. More information would be helpful.

I wouldn't bother with this unit for a game enthusiast. Some will refute what I am saying but the image at times can be far too dark with not enough contrast, plus one tends to spend many hours playing games that I don't feel it's worth burning the bulb life.

I had all my systems hooked up to the X1 as I am an enthusiast of gaming as well and I no longer have them hooked up. I went back to a direct view for games. Projection is just never bright enough for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin

Well you didn't say anything about him being a game enthusiast. More information would be helpful.
Let's see. He plays Xbox, GC, DreamCast, PS2, Saturn, SNES games.
Quote:
I wouldn't bother with this unit for a game enthusiast.
Wow .. that bad ?
Quote:
Some will refute what I am saying but the image at times can be far too dark with not enough contrast,
Is it as bad on all connections ? (S-video, Component, VGA)

Is it more concerning a particular system ?

Wouldn't switching the X1 on the presentation setting alleviate somewhat the problem ? (more brightness but less film like colors ?)
Quote:
plus one tends to spend many hours playing games that I don't feel it's worth burning the bulb life.
Playing games would be the raison d'être of this unit, aka it's main purpose.
Quote:
I had all my systems hooked up to the X1 as I am an enthusiast of gaming as well and I no longer have them hooked up. I went back to a direct view for games. Projection is just never bright enough for me.
I didn't experience that problem with gaming on my Davis DL-450, hooking up DreamCast (VGA), Saturn (S-video), PSX (S-video), PC-Engine (composite).

Could it be a meaningful difference between the two projectors ?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
539 Posts
Demo? I didn't need no stinking demo! It has been the best video purchase I have ever made and it might even be the best single thing I ever bought for myself. Is it perfect? No, but then it only cost me $900 and my standard picture is 87" diagonal for 4:3 and 80" for 16:9. You show me an 80" TV of any sort for $1000 that looks as sharp and clear as the X1 and I'll buy it sight unseen.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
blueroc,


I tried alot of different connections and while game images looked very cool at times I felt the image was nto only overwhelmingly large but there were times when dark areas of games were dsiplayed and I found myself trying to compensate and doing alot of fiddling with brightness and contrast etc. The common man would probably love it with no complaints but I felt the games had to much of a film like look and I wanted them to be more vivid with better contrast between characters and backround textures.

At times I found the image much too dark and had a hard time distinguishing between objects and textures in the backround. Games like Mace Griffin and the big one that did it for me was Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I tried S-video and the Vesa connector.

Ultimately I moved all of my systems back to my 27 inch Samsung HDTV.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top