AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HP Pavillion dv7-1157cl notebook with a Blu-Ray ROM running Vista 64. I created AVCHD DVDs of my home video using the Imagemixer 3 SE software, which is bundled with the Canon HF100 HD camcorder. I am unable to play these DVDs on my notebook using Quickplay; I get a message saying to insert a DVD. I verified that my notebook can play regular Blu-Ray disks.

Has anyone been able to generate AVCHD DVDs using Imagemixer 3 SE and play them back using Quickplay?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
if it's a blu-ray rom, doesn't it mean that you can't burn a blu-ray dvd? it's read-only for blu-ray.

i'm going to take a wild guess and say that you created a standard mpeg2 dvd, not an avchd dvd, but maybe you could confirm that by trying to play the dvd back in your home dvd player?? or did you burn avchd to a standard dvd-r blank? in that case, maybe you could try installing the free vlc media player, or try to play the dvd back with windows media player... see if it works with other software.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ImageMixer 3 SE software allows authoring of MPEG 2 as well as AVCHD DVDs. I burned AVCHD on a standard DVD-R. I read that others have done this and played their AVCHD DVD on both PS3 and Blu-Ray players. I have neither, so I was hoping I could play my AVCHD DVD on my HP notebook using Quickplay.

I tried reading the AVCHD DVD using VLC media player and WMP, but neither program can read it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
worst case, you should be able to export an edited avchd .mts file from imagemixer to the hdd, then copy that avchd file to a dvd-r as a data file, not a video file.

in other words, the dvd-r isn't in the format of a video dvd, it's setup to store files just like your hdd is... vlc and media player will be able to play back avchd files, but it may not be at full framerate, if it isn't a quad core cpu.

you could always import those edited avchd files into a dvd authoring program at a later date, and create a dvd that way.

how were you attempting to open the dvd you created with vlc and wmp? you should be able to navigate into the file structure of the dvd with windows explorer, and right-click to open up the video file itself, it'll be the biggest file.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was able to play individual .m2ts files on the AVCHD DVD that I created using WMP and VLC media player. That is fine for archival purposes, but my goal is to author AVCHD DVDs that can be played directly on a Blu-Ray player.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i did some research on authoring avchd blu-ray onto standard dvd-r discs... it looks like mixed compatibiliy results are typical, unless you own a ps3... here is an interesting thread on the dvdlab forum:
http://www.mmbforums.com/ipb/index.p...741&hl=blu-ray

here is a great thread, with links, on creating these blu-ray dvds on standard dvd discs, see if anything in there helps:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/avchd-for...ease-help.html

i would be inclined to take that dvd you made into best buy or somewhere, and see if it'll work in other models of blu-ray players.

you can also experiment with other blu-ray authoring software, maybe nero? or whatever people out here have been using.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.