AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just browsing a forum at BillFitzmaurice.com and found a thread where it was stated by Bill F. that 7 ply 1/2" lumber with a thin veneer outer layer is no good for this project as the veneer will separate from the core material. Unfortunately that is exactly what I built mine out of and am now wondering if I should scrap the cabinet and start over?

I don't recall reading anything that said not to use that type of plywood
That would have been pretty good info about 300 cuts ago.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think scrapping it completely wouldnt be very productive
just with all the time you put in...if you want to build another for yoru own peace of mind then I say go for it...but I would deff see what this one can do and go from there!

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkidd /forum/post/18272029

That's signature material right there

I say go with it

You've got nothing to loose at this point.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Did you do mitered corners to make the box finished? Why did that person state that the veneer would lift? From box flex? If braced, it shouldn't do that, so I don't see the concern.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You shouldn't be concerned but as an added touch you should have used screws through out..... I fastened mine from the inside with pocket screws.. throughout .... I did mention this in some of the builds....

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
The lumber place I ordered from told me that it was 5-ply birch, but they failed to mention that the outer plys were a thin veneer.

Because of this, I made sure to use a LOT of braid nails and make sure the veneer wasn't lifting up on any cuts, and if it was, I cut out the bad parts and made sure to use a ton of glue there.

I did test with 2 pieces glued together, and it actually broke the wood before lifting the veneer up. Unless you're moving these around a lot, I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you have proper bracing and screws/nails in place well.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt /forum/post/18274121

The lumber place I ordered from told me that it was 5-ply birch, but they failed to mention that the outer plys were a thin veneer.

Because of this, I made sure to use a LOT of braid nails and make sure the veneer wasn't lifting up on any cuts, and if it was, I cut out the bad parts and made sure to use a ton of glue there.

I did test with 2 pieces glued together, and it actually broke the wood before lifting the veneer up. Unless you're moving these around a lot, I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you have proper bracing and screws/nails in place well.

I am a professional cabinetmaker. You are fine, a glue line is a glue line.

Enjoy the sub.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/18274175

I am a professional cabinetmaker. You are fine, a glue line is a glue line.

Enjoy the sub.

We've had a number of builders who used plywood with thin outer veneers that delaminated. Blondewood from Lowes is one reported brand. The fault is not only the thin veneer but also the inferior glue that's typical of Chinese plywood. I tested it myself, found it unsuitable, and posted a warning about it on my site and in the plans.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice /forum/post/18275501

We've had a number of builders who used plywood with thin outer veneers that delaminated. Blondewood from Lowes is one reported brand. The fault is not only the thin veneer but also the inferior glue that's typical of Chinese plywood. I tested it myself, found it unsuitable, and posted a warning about it on my site and in the plans.

I caught that too late in my case. However, the wood I used was actually Canadian birch, and the laminate is held on quite well.

I would have rather have used the correct wood, but so far so good.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris /forum/post/18273872

You shouldn't be concerned but as an added touch you should have used screws through out..... I fastened mine from the inside with pocket screws.. throughout .... I did mention this in some of the builds....

Damn thats pretty nifty! I just used tons of brad nails. But that looks much better not that anyone will ever see it though

·
Registered
881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkidd /forum/post/18272029

So I was just browsing a forum at BillFitzmaurice.com and found a thread where it was stated by Bill F. that 7 ply 1/2" lumber with a thin veneer outer layer is no good for this project as the veneer will separate from the core material. Unfortunately that is exactly what I built mine out of and am now wondering if I should scrap the cabinet and start over?

I don't recall reading anything that said not to use that type of plywood

im curious to see some pics

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I've built cabinets with MDF, Arauco, Particle board, A/C Ply, OSB, Baltic Birch, and the cheap Chinese ply from Home Depot (Birch and Agathis?), among other things. All worked well enough, some work better. Current favorite? Arauco.

Relax. This is a THT for a home theater, not a Titan or Tuba that will get transported and gigged with every weekend, right? It will work OK. Honestly - I have tried to break simpler cabinets made of Home Depot's Chinese ply constructed with PL and brad nails, they are pretty solid. Sure it will break eventually. I've not met a cabinet yet that I couldn't break if I tried hard enough. Sure, the Chinese ply is junk when compared to true Baltic Birch or even Arauco, but you've got it and you're using it. A properly braced folded horn like Bill's THT is a STURDY enclosure, much stronger than a similarly-sized conventional box enclosure. Put it together properly, things will be fine.

If it makes you feel better, I currently have four horn or tapped horn subs constructed of the cheap Chinese ply from Home Depot (before I knew better), as well as a few other builds made of it out there, no reported problems yet, and they have all been used, some even gigged with. To be entirely honest, though I am using 3/4" Arauco for the cabinet, I am using scraps of the cheap Chinese plywood as bracing in my Shiva-X2 tapped horn build. Make sure the joints and braces fit tightly, either use brad nails or predrill for your screws, use enough PL (not too much), and use some clamps to keep things straight, you should be OK. Some people dado their cabinets, I've built cabinets with and without. I don't have problems with the plywood cabinets failing, I typically kill the drivers.

Even if it falls apart, you're only out three sheets or so of cheap plywood and some of your time. That sucks, don't get me wrong. The driver and amp will be fine, and you've learned how to build a cabinet in the process, so the next one will go a lot faster. Another thing to remember, the "expensive" plywood really isn't. With a little shopping, I have found true European birch 5X5 sheets for $30, and Arauco for a bit less, even in the Pacific Northwest. Now that I know where to look, it is much easier to find.

·
Registered
901 Posts
man, you worry more than a woman

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Supply /forum/post/18277871

man, you worry more than a woman

I'm just being cautious. After seeing all the screw ups you had in your build I'm covering all my bases

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkidd /forum/post/18278077

I'm just being cautious. After seeing all the screw ups you had in your build I'm covering all my bases

Ha ha ha ..that was classic ..sig material..

·
Registered
901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkidd /forum/post/18278077

I had one screw up, but still had both my THT's build in 5 days.

I now understand why your Audio Guy turned your business away.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Supply /forum/post/18281114

I had one screw up, but still had both my THT's build in 5 days.

I now understand why your Audio Guy turned your business away.

Not because I ribbed him a little, he is not that thin skinned.

With the amount of BS you dish I didn't think you would mind getting a little back

·
Registered
901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkidd /forum/post/18281237

Not because I ribbed him a little, he is not that thin skinned.

What the...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts