Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all..

This is sort of a rant...... Why can't company's get it together and give the people what they want!

Give us

- MP3

- WMA - including lossless and DRM

- AAC

- WAV

Give us

-Digital outs

Give us

- wireless option

- wired option

- able to play off the computer in the next room

- For extra dollors hard drives on the unit it self.

Give us

- An interface that can be used on the screen (tv) or from the unit it self, or from a remote with lcd screen (extra money)

Give us

- Random play, able to make play list.......

- Able to view random pictures stored on the computer in the next room, so when music is playing you can turn it on... Sort of like a screen saver.

And make it at a price point that will compete with the other units that are out there..... $500 or less. I don't think HD type stuff will make it at this price point.....

Ok did I forget anything........

R~

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Multi-zone capability? Give me an Audiotron with most of the features in the main post. (Make the fancy remote optional, and if it has RF remote capability, make sure that it also has IR codes). If a model has a built-in HDD, make sure that it's also an SMB server. If I need access to my global music collection from anywhere else, I'll buy a diskless model and plop it down whereever.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The main reason that none of these new thin clients support decoding any of the new audio or video compressed formats listed is that they are hardware decoders. The silicon they use is sold by the same company's that supply the DVD industry. That is why all of these guys have the same decode feature set (i.e. MPEG-1/MPEG-2 Video, JPEG Still images, MP3 for audio). Look at any typical low cost DVD player and it supports the exact same list of compressed formats.

The local CPU processing power in your typical DVD chip is also way under-powered to do any software decompression. At least in the AudioTron they have enough local horse power to do software decompression. That is one big advantage in the AudioTron's favor.

It is possible that the hardware in these devices might improve next year since the DVD silicon suppliers pretty much all added WMA, AAC, Mpeg-4, ... for new DVD players for this Christmas. The trick down effect might get this new silicon into a new version of these thin clients next year sometime.

Even if the hardware is improved the big problem with these devices in the software.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tivo series 2.

pc or mac. On mac u plug it in and it works. on pc u need some config.

Cause i've read on how mac works this it how it works. Connects to home network. Auto detects music library from iTunes library. You can search it and listen to your mp3 aac aiff or wav playlist. Apple AAC files bought from itunes music store have cover art embedded in the file. Whether or not the tivo can see this yet i don't know would be cool though.

Also it sees your iPhoto library and you can have a slideshow of ur pictures sorted or random. Thats how it works but but for more than one room i guess u need the tivo in every room. All controlled from the tivo. Still pretty nifty even though it doesn't do everything u want it to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What about the Gateway connected DVD and Go-Video 3270. They come closest to giving everything you want, the biggest ommission being the hard drive. But then it only costs $200 and it also is a progressive scan DVD player. It has a PCMCIA slot for the netword card and is currently available for wired or wireless but presumably you could put in a HPNA or any other PCMCIA network card if you so desired.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rhett7660
And make it at a price point that will compete with the other units that are out there..... $500 or less. I don't think HD type stuff will make it at this price point.....
If you mean "HD video," I tend to agree. But if all you want is is HD still capability for, e.g., higher-resolution menus and the display of digital photos, I don't know why that would be expensive. It doesn't call for anything that you can't get with 2-3 year-old technology used in chips embedded in motherboards for a marginal cost of, what, maybe $15?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.