AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Samsung (HLR-5667w) 56" DLP TV in March of 2006. To this day it's my biggest purchase and means the world to me...I don't have much else besides gaming that makes me happy and I always worry about stuff, and bought a $500, 4-year warranty on it.

The HDMI port went out on it in April 2008, but since I had had a bad experience with a TV repair back in 2005, I decided to just let it be, until early July of this year when I decided it was finally time to fix it so I could hook-up my new laptop to my TV via HDMI.

The repair shop for some reason couldn't do the digital board repair in-home like I have seen done for others with the same TV, and for the last three weeks exactly have done the following.

First 7 days - Haven't looked at TV

Days 7-14 - Waiting for digital board

Days 14 - We ordered the wrong board, ordered the right one

Day 21 - The board is actually on national back-order, call your warranty provider.

I'll never see my TV again basically. I called Circuit City's warranty place and they've all been very nice and she said she is referring it to their "Comp Team" is what I think she said for review on getting a new TV. I asked her what all that entails and she says it's a brand-new TV, but may be different model/brand and will be "comparable". I'm wondering how things like this usually work...are they usually better, or worse than your previous TV they're replacing? Like is it possible I'm going to get a new 1080p Samsung DLP, or is it more likely I'll get an off-brand LCD with same resolution and ports, etc.?

Also, is 56 inches kinda a weird size? I've been told it is and I'm worried I'll lose size too, but I'd be fine with that if it meant I got 1080p, I'd go down 10 inches if it meant 1080p.

Anyway, just wanted some help on this, I've been worrying like crazy over this for three weeks now and it doesn't seem to ever end.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
I bought a Samsung (HLR-5667w) 56" DLP TV in March of 2006.

Ok

Quote:
Also, is 56 inches kinda a weird size? I've been told it is and I'm worried I'll lose size too, but I'd be fine with that if it meant I got 1080p, I'd go down 10 inches if it meant 1080p.

Hun?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
You should not be worrying because it looks like you are going to be getting a new tv. Very nice.

What they may offer you, because Samsung no longer makes DLPs, is an LCD tv. No way will it be 56" cause the largest ones top out at 55".

Whether you feel its a better or worse tv, wait till they offer you something, check it's reviews and ratings and if it sounds reasonable, take it. If not, ask for something better and see what happens.

I'd call the warranty people every few days so they don't "forget" about you till they offer something. Good luck and relax, a tv is coming to your home!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Agree with mes444, don`t worry too much about it. Its nice that they are offering you a new TV. If the service center is near by make a visit every now and then just to make sure they hurry a bit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what they offered:

A Mitsubishi 60inch DLP (WD60737), that is 1080p, and not only has one HDMI input, but three. I was shaking as I got off the phone and went to review the TV before I made my decision, since all they told me was the model number. He told me it's brand new and is a model that just began a few months ago. I almost cried when I saw it was 1080p, because just 3 weeks ago when I got my laptop was the first time I ever saw 1080p in my life and I love it, and was wishing my TV 1080p now too, but knew it'd be years until I could upgrade. Nearly every spec seems to be 4x better than my Samsung.

This is the only good call I've ever gotten regarding this TV repair, it was one setback after another, never anything good, and just three long weeks of worry, and I worried a lot.

I should hear from the company that will be shipping my TV within 7-10 business days to setup a delivery date

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm in that process now with CC warranty. Had a Hitach 50vs810 LCD 720p capable of 1080i and light engine is going out. Big green blob on screen. Warranty said they they would give me a Mit's wd60737 DLP if I wanted. told me to think about it and check it out. I called back and left message that I wasn't interested in that model as it didn't quite measure up to the options my Hitachi had, so they called back next day and offered wd65737. After reading up here on the forumn and researching the Mit's line I countered with a wd65837. They called back and said OK, they ordered it and will be here tomorrow, delivery people called yesterday. If I understand and remember right, the CC warranty is a customer satisfaction warranty, so I suppose that's why they went with my offer. I hope the wd65837 turns out to be a decent choice, although I will be in a slight bind. I will need to upgrade my DirecTV to HD eventually, maybe even my stereo receiver. From what I have read here, that model Mit's is really a decent choice.

Anyway, that's my experience with CC warranty. So happens I have a Sony SRXD that went out same time with Sam's warranty, they just gave me my purchase price back on it, see the KDS-xxA2020 thread on that one.

I think most people here will agree the Mit's line is a decent choice. Was worried about DLP at first, but hopefully it will work out to the good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long after you agreed to it with CC did the other delivery company call you to setup a delivery time?

I don't think I really had much to negotiate with them, since they were giving me a TV that way way better than the Samsung in both size and specs, so I would have felt like a jerk saying that's not good enough, and if I have problems with it, at least I know I have a good warranty over it for at least a few months (warranty expires next March, it was for four years)

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNSCleric /forum/post/16915707

How long after you agreed to it with CC did the other delivery company call you to setup a delivery time?

I don't think I really had much to negotiate with them, since they were giving me a TV that way way better than the Samsung in both size and specs, so I would have felt like a jerk saying that's not good enough, and if I have problems with it, at least I know I have a good warranty over it for at least a few months (warranty expires next March, it was for four years)

8 days after agreed, delivery called.

It's up to you, study over the specs on the model they offer and compare to what you have. If not satisfied ask them for another choice or even if you just not sure ask them for another choice. Like I said, the CC warranty is a customer satisfaction warranty. If the offer you a wd60737, counter wih a wd65837. You have to be satisfied, doesn't matter your TV may or may not be as good as they offer.

They were really nice, didn't argue or dispute me in anyway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm satisfied for now...unless this new TV is defective or has problems within 3 years, I would say the warranty was well worth the money, although from now on I think I'm going to just get "Personal Articles" insurance from my normal insurance company, as that is way cheaper and seems to be better...I just put it on my new laptop and from what I've read online it works better than anything else.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, it might seem minor, but I over-think everything and am dying for my replacement TV. Was it 8 business days or normal days? Also, when the delivery people called, it was just a couple days after that they delivered it?

So if I had the same timing has you did, I would get my TV a week from Monday, cause 8 days would be next Friday, then they'd probably set the date for Monday, that would be awesome.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNSCleric /forum/post/16915875

Also, it might seem minor, but I over-think everything and am dying for my replacement TV. Was it 8 business days or normal days? Also, when the delivery people called, it was just a couple days after that they delivered it?

So if I had the same timing has you did, I would get my TV a week from Monday, cause 8 days would be next Friday, then they'd probably set the date for Monday, that would be awesome.

8 business days, originally they said 7 - 10 business days. They called on 8 and will deliver on 10. Reason it took so long is they did not have that model in stock. It would have been 2 - 4 if I took their original offer.

Plus I have to get a new warranty extension, so good idea, I will check out the personal articles warranty on the new one as well as their offer from their web site. I have looked at it as they said I would have to have the s/n from new TV first.

Like you said, warranty was worth it even if you paid 400, where can you get a new TV for that?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, nice...hopefully mine is that quick then, but I'm prepared to wait two weeks.

Thank you for your posts too, I didn't expect to find someone going through my exact situation right now, so it was nice to hear, hope you like the new TV you negotiated for.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNSCleric /forum/post/16915906

Oh, nice...hopefully mine is that quick then, but I'm prepared to wait two weeks.

Thank you for your posts too, I didn't expect to find someone going through my exact situation right now, so it was nice to hear, hope you like the new TV you negotiated for.

No problem, this is a good forum, keep checking back as others will chime in and you may find your new TV on here with tweaks or adjustments to improve it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHitachi /forum/post/16915976

No problem, this is a good forum, keep checking back as others will chime in and you may find your new TV on here with tweaks or adjustments to improve it.

Yeah I for sure will be checking out the owner's thread or whatever there is for this new model of TV to see stuff like that. I tweaked stuff with my DLP due to things I read on here and it made it way better over the years. I joined here in March 2006 and that DLP was the reason.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I lurked around for years following the problems with the set I used to have and finally joined recently for same reasons you had as well..

Good luck with your new set too!

Update. Wow, they just called and are delivering in 10 minutes, WOOHOOO!!!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNSCleric /forum/post/16921580

How are you liking it? What are the differences between the 65837 and the 60737 besides size?

Looks really good in HD, but it has a bad Light Engine. Lasted about 4 minutes. Gotta call them Monday.

differences if I remember are dark detailer iris for better blacks or dark scenes, some extra inputs on side, extra HDMI input 4, instead of 3, extra menu for tweaking all the video settings, a programmable day/night setting. Oh yeah, big blue accent light on bottom of TV you can turn off and on. I think net command too, that allows you to control other equipment with TV remote.

Have a pic of it in the mit's 737, 838 owner thread post 1646.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post16923538

If I did it right, link above.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
Looks really good in HD, but it has a bad Light Engine. Lasted about 4 minutes.

Wow

Your kidding..

Replacement TV blows in less than 5 mins

1 - 20 of 43 Posts