AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 37pfl5332 LCD tv.

Now if I leave the set off for a week or so, and then turn it on for the first time I only get audio. No video shows. I can change the channels and it will change no problem, but I will get no video.

When I turn the set off and then immediately turn it on again, everything would be back to normal. Now if I don't leave the set off for long periods of time, everything is fine.

I'm baffled.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Is the screen lit dimly (as LCDs tend to be in "dark" scenes) or is it completely dark? If it's dark, the backlight isn't coming on. I have repaired computer monitors with bad capacitors in the power supply that will come on with repeated tries. If the set is new enough, maybe it's a warranty claim.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdre /forum/post/16927818

Is the screen lit dimly (as LCDs tend to be in "dark" scenes) or is it completely dark? If it's dark, the backlight isn't coming on. I have repaired computer monitors with bad capacitors in the power supply that will come on with repeated tries. If the set is new enough, maybe it's a warranty claim.

Out of warranty. It's completely dark.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The problem you are having is with the 'inverter' used to power the backlight of the display.

I have a 46" Phillips that has not had this problem, but the 42" Vizio I bought my wife over two years ago has had this problem for the last year.

You turn it on after sitting cold a long period, 1-3 days or more, no picture only with sound. Flip it off and back on again, and then the screen comes back on with the normal blue background and then goes to the TV station or audio input last used.

While I hope the day doesn't come that my wife's vizio doesn't come back on due to a failing inverter due to the fact that Vizio replacement parts are next to impossible to find outside of the used market, your local Phillips service center should have them available if it completely fails.

This seems to be a common problem with all LCD TV's. I do wonder if the LED backlight LCD's fair better than these.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocketAzzWIPE /forum/post/16927882

It's completely dark.

What source are you using? External box or internal tuner? If you press menu on the Tv remote when it's completely dark, do you see anything?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn /forum/post/16929297

What source are you using? External box or internal tuner? If you press menu on the Tv remote when it's completely dark, do you see anything?

No I don't see anything. It's completely dark. Using the internal tuner. I could also be on one of the hdmi ports and it will still do the same thing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggblukat /forum/post/16928011

The problem you are having is with the 'inverter' used to power the backlight of the display.

I have a 46" Phillips that has not had this problem, but the 42" Vizio I bought my wife over two years ago has had this problem for the last year.

You turn it on after sitting cold a long period, 1-3 days or more, no picture only with sound. Flip it off and back on again, and then the screen comes back on with the normal blue background and then goes to the TV station or audio input last used.

While I hope the day doesn't come that my wife's vizio doesn't come back on due to a failing inverter due to the fact that Vizio replacement parts are next to impossible to find outside of the used market, your local Phillips service center should have them available if it completely fails.

This seems to be a common problem with all LCD TV's. I do wonder if the LED backlight LCD's fair better than these.

Well that sucks.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocketAzzWIPE /forum/post/16929549

No I don't see anything. It's completely dark...

Backlighting is not coming on intermittently, caused by-

Defective backlight (replace panel)

Defective inverter (replace inverter)

Defective Tcon (replace Tcon)

Defective powersupply (check for bad caps or replace board)

Defective SSB/Scaler/Main (replace)

Since it's so intermittent the only troubleshooting is to check for bad caps on the powersupply and re-seat lvds cable (ssb to Tcon). After that start replacing boards. Unless you can get it to "fail" then check some voltages. Board prices at encompassparts.com login as guest & search with model number

1 - 8 of 8 Posts