AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard these things are great bang for the buck and Im looking into purchasing some new ones and my calculations are that is going to cost about 350 to get everything. I'm specifically looking at a modified version of Diamond 8 Cinema. The center channel, and 8.1's for the front and the dipole surrounds. I have a Cerwin Vega HTS-12 that Im goin to use for the sub.

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/diamond8.htm

I'm really kinda superised but when I searched nothing came up and I figured at least somebody else would have experimented with these.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Jag,

Try here for some reviews.

http://www.audioreview.com/A-V+Pream...L_1001crx.aspx

I don't have any personal experience with them, but as you describe, a good price/value for the money from what I have read. Ubid.com has them on their site on a consistent basis. Not sure about this particular model.

There are other manufacturers in this price range. I am sure others who have more expertise then me will suggest other brands.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been reading Audio Review all day and they sound like they would be great but theres not that many reviews on them yet. Thats why I was asking here. But you gotta admin the Kevlar for cones sounds sweet :)

And actually now that I think about it, probably is a damn good idea.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just curious, but why is Kevlar considered such a good material for driver cones? I've read things suggesting that its a good material for it, but never any actual reasons why it is.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
First of all, Wharfdale has been around forever. They have made some very well respected products like the Diamond.

As for Kevlar, the reason is that it has an extremely high stiffness to mass ratio which yeilds a quick reacting cone and very little flex. Theoretically comes closer to a true 'pistonic' motion.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well let me ask this.... If these speakers are great which I think theyare. Why are there no other threads on here about them? That was what I was really wondering was are these not good for HT or do people just not like them? I know some of the audioreview people dont use them for HT purposes thats why I'm asking, because these are at damn good prices and yet nobody has them...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I may be completely wrong on this, so forgive me if its so but...

I've gotten the impression that a large majority of the people on this forum have more expensive systems than what you (and myself) are shopping for. As you can see from the fixed support threads, a good deal of them have Swan Divas as well as other similarily priced equipment. Not to say that you're alone with the price range you're shopping for, but that's just the impression I've gotten. So if these people already have, or are shopping for more expensive equipement they're less likely to have done any research on speaker lines like the Diamond 8s.

·
Registered
404 Posts
i have the emerald 97 series -they are a nice speaker

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar
Well let me ask this.... If these speakers are great which I think theyare. Why are there no other threads on here about them? That was what I was really wondering was are these not good for HT or do people just not like them? I know some of the audioreview people dont use them for HT purposes thats why I'm asking, because these are at damn good prices and yet nobody has them...
Don't let this discourage you. Wharfedale just isn't as well known in the US as some other makers of mini speakers like Paradigm, NHT and Energy. The Wharfedales have the same trade-offs as the other minis, great imaging and compact size on the plus side, not much bass or able to play real loud on the minus side. Everything I've seen on the Wharfedales is positive, and I've heard them, they're a fine mini. If you like the speakers get them. Just insure that if they'll be placed close to a TV, that they're a shielded model.

Seth

·
Registered
731 Posts
Wharfdale makes "full range" floor standing models as well as monitors. Wharfdale is a well respected manufacturer of mass market speakers -kinda like Infiniti or Polk in recent years. Wharfdale makes some very nice speakers, particularly for the money. As with many things the more you spend the better performance you will get.

If this is your first set of HT speakers, I say go for the Wharfdale you will be pleased. although if you spend a little more you could go with Diva, Paradigm, or Energy and be Very pleased.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Wharfedale speakers are quite nice and very competitive. Don't be misled by their lack of popularity -- that is due to poor distribution. They are much better known in the UK and compete against the likes of KEF and B&W. I haven't heard their small speakers but with their reputation they are worth an audition.

Besides, there are lots of very good speakers not often mentioned on this forum. Just shows how many good speakers are really out there.

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies, I went ahead and ordered the rears and center for 220 shipped. Not bad at all. I think I am going to go the ubid route for the 8.1's Because they were 200 at the site I found the center and surrounds at. Ill give you guys a followup later after I have played with them for a bit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just be careful at ubid with their shipping cost. You may bid $50 on a speaker only to pay that + their processing charges + $0.99/lb... which for speakers can really get up there and surprise you. But if you look at the bottom of the description page it usually gives you a shipping weight so you can calculate it.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Hello Jagouar,

I have 4 of the Emerald 97 towers and plan on collecting more when I have the space. You will not be disappointed with the Diamonds. They have received reviews of very good to excellent from many sources.

To me, Wharfedale in the US is a treasure trove of quality merchandise at unbelievable pricing. People pay more in other parts of the world where they are more familiar. We get to steal this stuff here in the States.

·
Registered
488 Posts
man, i hate to open this wormy can without evidence, but i came across several really bad posts/reviews about wharefdales about 3 months ago. i cannot remember where i saw the posts, but some very unhappy folks were writting. i am sure they are pretty decent speakers just going from some happy owner comments, and wondering if they are to be considered "better back in the day"?

no flame intended.

:)

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
I know there were some issues with some of their bigger speakers. Don't remember specifics or what the end result was since I don't follow Wharfdale closely.

Honestly though, most of their RAVE reviews have always been on their smaller monitors. The Diamonds are up there in sound quality with classics like the Celestion 600, Rogers LS 3/5A, etc. Great soundstaging, tonal balance, and dynamics but limited in bass and overall output.

Those two shortcomings are the reason IMHO that they are not widely discussed in a home theater context.

·
Registered
404 Posts
there grills stink thats my only complaint

i opened up my emerald 97s to look at the crossover-i found internal braceing -good amount of fill -heavy maginets -large cross over - i looked inside my def tech too wharfedale was equil

speaking for the emerald series they are a well made speaker that has a very nice tweeter(i want norh 6.9 but these sound good enough too save up for the 9.0)

i also heard that they have a good customer service dept

·
Registered
448 Posts
I used to own a Wharfdale center, It was very nice. Great speaker!! I later stepped up to the Diva's by Swans.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.