AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
they specifically told me that it won't work. 16:9 at that resolution is not supported according to their tech support

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
It's so bizzare and backwards that Faroudja won't produce a NR that works with a native 16x9 digital projector.

Wonder how that relates to the Seleco 300 (native 16x9 DLP) that will have one built-in as the scaler?

Faroudja is old news, and old technology. Charging > $3,000 for a box that does what a HTPC does but without 16x9 display compatibility is nonsense. Who cares how good their algorithms are or how they once led the market. In a few years other companies will be producing superior algorithms for a fraction of the cost and implementing them in products that actually make sense.

I know I sound bitter. That's what happens after you've argued with a Faroudja tech who claims that consumers can achieve better picture quality by using their comb-filter with a DVD player (outputting composite) vs going straight component-video. When I explained that didn't make sense because DVD was natively component anyway and therefore going component would logically look better than downmixing the video stream to composite then processing it back to component again...even with a comb filter as good as theirs...I was told "that's YOUR opinion"... When I tried to get this guy to just accept that DVD was a natively component medium I was told "that's YOUR opinion" too. Granted this conversation took place upon DVD's inception...but still...

You can't imagine how he responded to the notions of 16x9 offering superior resolution for 1.66:1 or wider aspect ratios... (ok, I'll give you a hint...I must have been a pretty opinionated person that day)

-dave

[This message has been edited by DaViD Boulet (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
243 Posts
> with a DVD player (outputting composite) vs going straight

> component-video. When I explained that didn't make sense

> because DVD was natively component anyway and therefore

> downmixing the video stream

DVD is natively digital. Not component, not composite.

You should get superior results by converting to analog as late as possible (HTPC with DVI out->projector with DVI in). However, component does offer superior bandwidth to composite.

Just my 0.02 currency units.

Krishna.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.