AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
there have been a number of threads you can find with the search function.

Short version: really varies, depends on the particular Geek Squad calibrator. If you get a good deal, done well it is a worthy calibration, but you can also generally find equal or significantly superior results with better ISF services. But looking elsewhere you also run into the same problem: equipment capabilities, experience, and knowledge varies a great deal from calibrator to calibrator.

Note of disclosure: I was previously affiliated with a BBY-owned company, and I did go through their ISF training a couple years ago.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I had a Samsung HL67A750 LED DLP calibrated by BB 2 1/2 years ago. 2 point grayscale and CMS controls are only available in the service menu. The calibrator did adjust GS but didn't touch the CMS. It was not worth the three hundred dollar price tag. Once I obtained my own equipment I was able to greatly improve the picture.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/19623769

I had a Samsung HL67A750 LED DLP calibrated by BB 2 1/2 years ago. 2 point grayscale and CMS controls are only available in the service menu. The calibrator did adjust GS but didn't touch the CMS. It was not worth the three hundred dollar price tag. Once I obtained my own equipment I was able to greatly improve the picture.

What equipment are you referring 2? I'm a noob here

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox_ws6
What equipment are you referring 2? I'm a noob here
I have ChromaPure software, an i1Pro spectroradiometer, and a Chroma 5 colorimeter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did a couple of years back and they really didn't do a great job. I ended up buying digital video essentials: HD BASICS on bluray and did it myself. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Plus if you do it yourself, it will more likely be suited to your viewing tastes.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbdss /forum/post/19659798

I did a couple of years back and they really didn't do a great job. I ended up buying digital video essentials: HD BASICS on bluray and did it myself. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Plus if you do it yourself, it will more likely be suited to your viewing tastes.

A good calibrator will ask what the conditions are when you watch your display, and will calibrate appropriately. If they don't sit down with you after the calibration to determine if the client is happy with the outcome, and tweak the display to the tastes of the viewer appropriately without causing additional harm to the calibration, then they haven't done their job. Bottom line is, BB generally only allows for 60-90 minutes to do a calibration. This isn't anywhere NEAR enough time IMHO. Heck, it often takes me the first 45 minutes to setup and chat with the customer. The BB approach is often get in/get out, move onto the next display. Not a good way to approach a calibration, and calibrators who often have to deal with the after BB effect, have to somewhat fight a battle that calibration isn't worth it since the BB calibrator often left a bad taste in the client's mouth. DVE can get you about 70-80% of the way there, but the greyscale, gamma, and CMS can not be dealt with using such a disk. My two cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having worked closely with the Geek Squad program for more than 5 years I can tell you that there are great calibrators, "OK" calibrators and bad calibrators available from their stable. I have witnessed some fantastic work and impressive research from many of the Geek Squad calibration technicians.

Asking questions of the technician is a real key. Time spent on a job is not a very good indicator of quality. I have performed 60 minute panel calibrations that turned out just great-so- ask questions of the person who will be performing the work.

CMS- as long as your calibration pro is well equipped to perform the adjustment AND the adjustments offered by your display manufacturer actually work - you are in good shape. The vast majority of people shouldn't be too concerned about it.

Good and Bad Geek Squad Calibrators- there are good and bad calibrators everywhere. Believe me, plenty of people are hanging their shingle with an ISF, THX, LMNOP logo and calling themselves calibrators. Out of every 500 you might find 30 who are really good at what they do. Again- do a little homework about picture quality issues and ask questions. Don't invest in a guy who simply tells you about calibration. He probably memorized that script a long time ago.

Ask for a referral from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Rule of thumb- be comfortable with your choice and prepared to live the result-

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK Jackson /forum/post/19697492

CMS- as long as your calibration pro is well equipped to perform the adjustment AND the adjustments offered by your display manufacturer actually work - you are in good shape. The vast majority of people shouldn't be too concerned about it.

Unless things have changed recently, BBY techs are not equipped with hardware that would be very useful at all for CMS work. Unless it has changed from the pucks, they are not equipped nor at all trained unless they teach themselves on their own, and even if they know how a CMS works and how to calibrate it, the hardware is not useful for that...

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

They do grayscale for two inputs ... if possible. No cms. They are not equipped for doing it ... nor were they trained to do it ... nor do they have the time to do it. 80 min windows do not allow for much when set up and break down take 20 min of that total.

regards

1 - 12 of 12 Posts