AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://us.lge.com/download/product/f...2448/dn798.pdf

It supports 1080p HDMI, DTS SPDIF output, has optical and coaxial SPDIF output, claims component upconversion (likely with unprotected tittles), and USB for JPEGs, MP3s, WMAs.

It claims DVD-Audio support but I doubt it as no analog audio 5.1 output (it's possible to output DVD-A through HDMI to appropriate receiver but I doubt this is the case).

$100 from BB seems very affordable. $90 at CC.

How is the PQ? What chipset? I suspect Zoran as Zenith (its partner) uses Zoran a lot.

· Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it does any video via USB, only music and photos.

· Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would you pleeeeeze open it up to see what chipset it uses (preferably take a photo of its inerts and uploaded here after resizing to 640X480). Thanks so much.

· Registered
22 Posts
The LG DN798 definitely upscales non-encrypted content over component. The picture at 1080i over component looked comparable to similarly upscaled video produced by an LG LDA511. I returned the DN798 as soon as I discovered it will not play VCDs, SVCDs or xvid/divx avi files. This is interesting because the picture posted above clearly indicates VCD on the drive tray.

The LG DN798 seems to contain a crippled firmware in which VCD, SVCD and xvid/divx support has been removed. Are there patent licensing issues in the States that LG chose to avoid? The physical appearance of this player is the same as the Canadian LG LDA831 which does support VCDs, SVCDs and xvid/divx avi files. I would speculate that the firmware is the only difference.

I wonder if it would be possible to fix the DN798 using firmware from the LDA831?

· Registered
10 Posts
i just bought one yesterday, PQ is as good as my HTPC was. USB hasn't worked yet, it recognized my external HD but wouldnt play the music file because its WMA Lossless, not MPEg or "under 256k" sample rate, go figure, I ain't downgrading the whole library. Nice dvd player tho.

· Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey /forum/post/0

It supports 1080p HDMI, DTS SPDIF output, has optical and coaxial SPDIF output, claims component upconversion (likely with unprotected tittles), and USB for JPEGs, MP3s, WMAs.

It claims DVD-Audio support but I doubt it as no analog audio 5.1 output (it's possible to output DVD-A through HDMI to appropriate receiver but I doubt this is the case).

$100 from BB seems very affordable. $90 at CC.

How is the PQ? What chipset? I suspect Zoran as Zenith (its partner) uses Zoran a lot.

Here is my review as I just purchased a DN798 player and am now returning it.

Overview: I purchased a LG 42LB5D 42" LCD 1080p display about a week ago and am thrilled with it. I was playing DVD's initially with my original XBOX over component video cable which is a pretty nice progressive scan DVD player. DVD's looked gorgeous with practically no grainy or pixelation anywhere. I used "The Island" as a test DVD since it has a lot of scenes with bright areas like sky or shiny white surfaces where grainyness would be visible and would degrade the experience.

Reason for Buying: Since the XBOX produced such a good picture, I didn't really need any upconversion I thought, but I did need an extra DVD player for the house since one from the other tv's died and the XBOX creates a lot of heat in the enclosed cabinet that I use in the main room where the new 42" tv is. My thought was to move the XBOX to the other room and get an upconverting DVD player for the big screen. I couldn't imagine the picture would improve much with an upconverting player, but I figured I would try it and see what happened.

Results:

I first hooked up the DN798 to my LCd panel with HDMI and set the resolution to 1080p on the player. Playing "The Island" was noticeably more grainy and not as "smooth" feeling. Next I figured maybe the issue was the cabling, so I switched from HDMI to Component so it would be a fair comparison against the XBOX. There was no perceivable difference to me. Next I set the resolution down to 480i on the upconverting DN798 which I assume means I turned the upconversion off. At this point the pictures was pretty much the same as what I was getting from the XBOX, but I still feel like XBOX was a fraction better.

Evaluation:

Either my LCD panel does its own upconversion that is better than the DN798's upconversion algorithm or the DN798 has a poor upconversion algorithm. Since the XBOX looks great even when the source is 480i, my guess is that the TV has a superior scaling algorithm and doesnt need the source to be the native res to get a good image. My plan is to buy the cheapest Walmart progressive scan with component video DVD (which looks like a Duramax which is 27$) and see if it looks as good as the XBOX. I am mostly just trying to hold off until one of the HD formats "wins" and the players come under 300$.

My advice would be that if you have the 42LB5D lcd panel, DONT get a upconverting dvd player since the tv seems to do a great job scaling on its own. Maybe some older LCD panels had terrible scaling algorithms and requiring an upconverting dvd player.

-David

· Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before you return it, open it up and let us know what chipset it uses? I doubt LG uses "proprietary" chipset of their own.

· Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does it pass DTS via SPDIF (digital out via coaxial or optical)?

· Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey /forum/post/0

Before you return it, open it up and let us know what chipset it uses? I doubt LG uses "proprietary" chipset of their own.

I ended up deciding to keep it. When I use component cables and 480p, the display is flawless on my set and since my TV is LG, the codes work really well, the few others that I tried, the remote codes were iffy. Additionally this player does FFW and FREW really smoothly and seems to play a lot of scratched disks that previously were not working. Just dont depend on it for upscaling.

Anyways, here are pics of the inside:
http://www.davidlovell.com/temp/dn798_full.jpg
http://www.davidlovell.com/temp/dn798_view1.jpg
http://www.davidlovell.com/temp/dn798_view2.jpg

-David

· Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlovell /forum/post/0

I ended up deciding to keep it. When I use component cables and 480p, the display is flawless on my set and since my TV is LG, the codes work really well, the few others that I tried, the remote codes were iffy. Additionally this player does FFW and FREW really smoothly and seems to play a lot of scratched disks that previously were not working. Just dont depend on it for upscaling.

Anyways, here are pics of the inside:
http://www.davidlovell.com/temp/dn798_full.jpg
http://www.davidlovell.com/temp/dn798_view1.jpg
http://www.davidlovell.com/temp/dn798_view2.jpg

-David

So based on the pictures and some searching, looks like the DN798 is MediaTek chipset MT1389QE (I've only seen references to others using MediaTek MT1389SE)

-David

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.