AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you must not like musicals..it won best picture

it is a great looking movie

another thing...why post a stupid comment, predictions meaning the quality of the BD, if you dont have anything pleasant to say go sit in a corner and talk to yourself about it

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
JCRC, thank you for your insightful analysis. You know, I happen to think that Crank is an awful film, but I don't go into threads spouting off about it.

Anyway, yes it is grainy, and the grain varies based on the lighting conditions. The scenes with spotlights, and dark scenes are affected the most, and I think it's due to the original cinematography. They had to push the film stock to bring out the details, and grain is there as a result.

However, it does look sharp and detailed, and considering that the grain is necessary I was very pleased. I didn't see compression problems, but I've just skimmed around the disc so far without sitting down to watch all of it yet.

I can't comment on the audio though, since I don't have an HDMI receiver, but the Dolby Digital track did sound good.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Yes it is grainy in the darker scenes. It was in the theater too. I think it looks fantastic. The colors are more vibrant and the details are very apparent. Little things like details in the costumes and fabrics really come out. It is an AVC encode and I'm also happy to report that the infamous pixelation of the final dance scene behind the huge array of light bulbs that marred the SD is gone!!

I checked out the bit rate in this scene with my PS3 and it jumps to over 40 mbps and consistently hovers around the 35 mbps marker.

Move over Phantom, there's a new outstanding sounding musical in town!! Disney has utilized the most out of this 5.1 48khz/24 bit PCM track. It is simpy phenomenal!! The vocals are so clear and distinct and the swelling music never overwhelms the vocals. I was hoping for a top notch soundtrack and Disney DELIVERED!!! Just outstanding stuff. I seriously can't get over the soundtrack. This is what it's all about.

If you like Chicago this is gonna be a real treat for you.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I second what TK said, this is the first blu disk that I felt like tossing my 2cents on and he summed up my impression very nicely

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.