AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
They should be released within the next few weeks according to the latest from Zenith. I'm hopeful this will be the best tuner yet, but only time will tell. I thought the same of my Sony HD100, but not anymore.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I too have been waiting for the new Zenith STB. However, with Dish still in the picture to purchase DTV, and a future exchange to Dish hardware, a possibility, I cannot spend 600 dollars on a unit that may be obsolete in the near term. Am I missing something in my reasoning?

Michael

------------------

tuckerdog

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
nothing ventured, nothing gained

also there just ight be a lawsuit that would drag on for years if there is a forced change

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm just curious, from reading the specs I don't see anything there that the current crop of STBs don't already do. Why is this one better?. I'd love to get out from under my bug-ridden Sony HD100 but I would need the 480i/1080i variable mode. Does the Zenith have this?.

Tony

·
Registered
71 Posts
That link doesn't appear to work anymore, and a search of their website doesn't turn up any press releases since May (weird). I also can't find the PDF for this that was referenced in another thread. Do any of you know where I might find that?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Unfortunately no news to report. Considering that HDTV receivers with DVI and firewire are on the horizon, I'm starting to wonder if this receiver will ever be released. I don't know how Zenith expects to sell many DTV1080's with receivers equipped with firewire on the market soon after its availability.

Andrew

·
Registered
23 Posts
This looks like exactly the kind of receiver I want to buy (thanks to simultaneous outs).

We have a projector that accepts VGA and Component, but no Firewire or anything. I really hope this comes out soon...

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The firewire is a big issue for me too..

I want an upgrade from my DTC-100. The Zenith has several features which sound very attractive: 720p output, simultaneous HD and SD output, consolidated program guide (DirecTV, Digital TV, and Cable(?) in one guide).

But, I am also interested in the JVC HD VCR, which requires firewire.

There is also the big unknown of the downres'd DirecTV content. They MAY constrain the output of copy protected content, like HBO, over analog outputs.

I am very tempted to get the Zenith anyway.. But, I will wait to see one in person before I decide. If it included the firewire port, it would be a no brainer.

[This message has been edited by tji (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Sabin:
Unfortunately no news to report. Considering that HDTV receivers with DVI and firewire are on the horizon, I'm starting to wonder if this receiver will ever be released. I don't know how Zenith expects to sell many DTV1080's with receivers equipped with firewire on the market soon after its availability.

Andrew
You have made this comment on several threads and I think it is a little misleading. To date no manufacturer has announced a DirecTV STB with Firewire or DVI. The only one coming is the Sony that only works with a specific cable system. Dish has stated that their next gen STB will have Firewire/DVI but it will not be available until late next year. I don't know how you expect to purchase a Firewire equipped STB "shortly after the Zenith is released" when no one will be selling one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.