AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I definitely see issues - breakups and dropouts - on VHF during storms, and to a lesser extent on low UHF (RF channel 16). I think that's pretty widely acknowledged.

I don't experience any problems on RF channel 22 and above.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Impulse noise (of which lightning is a major producer) has always been a problem on VHF-low. It is even more problematic now that the VHF stations are transmitting at lower power since they have gone digital.

·
Registered
148 Posts
In my area, all the stations that will interrupt regular programming for severe weather information are all on the VHF high band. If there is a tornado forming nearby, I might miss the information during a dropout. Local radio won't tell me, because all radio programming these days is voice tracked and automated by a computer. The emergency alert system is only activated if a tornado is headed towards a metro population. DSL goes down during heavy thunderstorms, satellite TV cannot be relied upon either. NOAA weather alert radio is now the only option.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw /forum/post/16976675

We have a thunder storm in progress at the moment. Our two VHF highband stations are an unwatchable, pixellated mess. It would be tolerable, except for the audio dropouts.

I admire your resolve to watch TV during lightning storm, I shutt off the tv

and only then stop trembling, alo

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
I should've said, thunderstorm in progress in an adjacent county. Lightning doesn't have to be close to ruin VHF reception.

If lightning's hitting around here, I unplug the TV and disconnect the coax.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw /forum/post/17006626

Lightning doesn't have to be close to ruin VHF reception.

You got that right! I live just outside the service contours of several hi-band VHF's. A thunderstorm anywhere near their towers (~60-75 miles away) will disrupt my signals. The other problem is co-channel interference.

I do realize, at my distance, I am lucky to be able to receive digital signals with any degree of reliability.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickGA /forum/post/17023433

You got that right! I live just outside the service contours of several hi-band VHF's. A thunderstorm anywhere near their towers (~60-75 miles away) will disrupt my signals. The other problem is co-channel interference.

Both problems here, too. But we live inside the predicted coverage areas of the high VHFs, and are on a hilltop with LOS. VHF, at least at the power the stations have been allowed to use, just doesn't work well for fringe viewers. But UHF is excellent here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts