AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I was on the lookout for the perfect front projection system for the future, but now I'm betting on rear projection! www.scramtech.com They've got this killer new SCRAMscreen technology. In a 50" prototype they have 1500 alternating sheets of black and fiber optics stacked up to make a screen that drastically boosts the contrast of any microdisplay image (or any image really), and lets the projection optics compress the image (without resolution loss) and hit the screen directly rather than bank off a big mirror and then 'push' it's way through a conventional screen. The black sheets suck in ambient light and so it has basically no reflection problems, and is as little effected by bright daylight as a direct view tube!

Also, because of no big mirror and the compressed image (aimed almost straight up from the bottom of the screen), the prototype is only 9" deep! That's not plasma thin, but that's way thin enough for me! And a lot lighter than plasmas too, so it's even easier if you wanna hang it up (not my thing, but the option's there). Samsung's already started working on something with it. Now if they can just mate it to a 1200X1920 microdisplay from Three-Five, and come up with a good color scheme that'll keep it a one chip design, I'll be in "1080i line doubled to 1080P heaven". Only on a site like this can you say something that damn geeky!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I love this idea:

Quote:
"In addition, because they can be manufactured out of plastic, SCRAMscreens™ have the ability to be curved to almost any shape, to create up to 360° viewing environments."
!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Mark, I have drool on my shoes.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That's very interesting.

A friend was telling me about this just the other day.

It seems his uncle had been offered the CEO position for a company using this same technology. I don't know if it's this company or not but I did tell him to put me on the beta tester list!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Power Buy! Power Buy!! POWER BUY!!!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like a group buy wouldn't be possible. It's a rear projection screen and looks like it's only going to be used as a component in assorted RP-HDTVs. Not like you could just buy a single screen and throw a front projector behind it.

I think it'll end up being a major factor in new microdisplay RPTVs though.

All of these DLP/LCoS RPTVs that have been shown off so far have contrast/true black as their one big drawback, and this screen'll improve that quite a bit- hopefully cure the problem. One independant reporter (from eetimes I thnik?) saw a DLP projector with a 450:1 contrast throw an image on the screen, and the screen's image measured 600:1! The reporter said that it was the best big screen image he's ever seen (and his job is reporting on display technology) And that was just front projector on a 2x4 with a couple guys holding the screen! Should be much better in an enclosed controlled setup.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
milori,

Yeah that 360 degree sounded cool to me too, but I thought it'd just mention the standard RPTV aspect, and not jump ahead to the idea of a home IMAX theater! Man would that be sweet! I can just see all the suckers out there content with their cruddy little 60" HDTVs, when those of us 'in the know' are here on the forum discussing how we're all aligning our microdisplay arrays in our custom geodesic dome theaters!! Is it 2011 yet???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.