Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

There is a posting on ebay from an outfit in Chicago, selling used projectors such as Digital Projection and Barco. The Digital unit is 8000 lumens, WAAYY to much for my needs. The Barco (Reality? ) is 5000 lumens. Anybody ever hear of or see these units. Since they are in Chicago, I will go see them , of course. This is good timing , since I will be starting on my theater in a couple of months.

David

------------------

DES

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
3 chip dlp is a great technology.

Please get the model numbers. You do not want to get an older unit that lacks some of the features found on the newer machines. The newer units have every feature you can think of, allowing you to do custom ratios and grey scale and put them into memory and much much more.

The pictures these things throw are stunning and the colors are dead on.

Keep us posted on what you find out. Also what are the resolution of the chips. Are they 800x600 or 1024x768.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I have seen in action an older Digital projection 800x600 5000 lumens model, and although it made a very vivid and colorful image for computer presentation, it was awful with live video from a DVD. It might have been better with an external scaller, the DVD was directly connected. My point is, don't buy one unseen just because of the specs.

I have also seen a Barco 9100 (or 9300, I am not sure) reality which was awesome on video with bright scenes, but quite bad with dark scenes, not so much because of a limited contrast ratio but because of a very uneven dark level across the screen.

------------------

Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.