Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Has anybody got experience using Genelec speakers for HT. I was just deciding between the Dynaudios & the PSB, when I heard a pair of these speakers in stereo mode. They sound incredibly detailed, although lacking some warmth. How are they in 5 speaker configs?

They are active speakers with built in amps & really small for the way they sound.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The Genelec demo at CEDIA was one of the most impressive at the show. Best Subwoofer demo by far. They take a different approach being active...but they are using their studio expertise and letting it trickle down to the theater market. The Genelecs are the defacto standard of recording studios in Nashville and LA. My brother is in the music industry and owns Genelec in his personal studio and ALWAYS mixes on Genelec - no exceptions. Likely about 75% of recorded music is mixed on Genelecs. They are quite impressive to say the least.

Brent Huskins

Media Design

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
One thing about the genelecs are that they are grossly overpriced. Yes, their top of the line HT equipment will sound great but cost a fortune. I've listened to a full genelec HT208 setup (fed by a lexicon mc12) at a local dealer and left totally unimpressed. On the other hand, give the mackie HR824's a try. A fraction of the genelec cost and plays beautifully. I auditioned these in my home this past weekend and could not believe my ears. These are going to replace the B&W's I have now. If you're seriously considering genelec, you owe it to yourself to go and audition the mackies and see if genelec is really worth the money.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The Genelec 1030A, 1031A, 1032A are some of the best sounding monitors I have ever heard...but they are in the studio line of products

That said - in the HT market - the HTS6 sub system for theater use is unbelievable. Probably the best sub I've EVER heard. I also think that the mackie's are very nice.

Brent Huskins

Media Design

·
Registered
102 Posts
i would look at their powered studio monitors for that nit picky detail and qualitythey are used for, but i've never heard their home theater products as my experience with genelecs are from spending time at recording studios, but those are great, i personally dont think that the 1029a's and such are overpriced, take a look at the 2 way monitors

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 1029's retail at approx $500 each in Europe & $800 each in India. That means about $4000 for 5 speakers + the cost of a sub. Their 7060 sub costs $3000 here which is way out of my price range. The dealer is saying I wouldn't need my reciever but i am not too sure of that. He is asking me to use a DVD player with a built in decoder. Maybe without the sub, it would be in my price range using a Rel subwoofer. But the dealer says their sub is the best part with a great bass management system. It may jus be too expensive at the prices in India. Let me talk to the dealer again.

They do sound great though.

I believe the only difference between the 1029 & the HT205 (or the 1030 & HT206) is that the HT models switch on when they sense the signal coming in from a DVD player / Preamp.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Genelec HT210 Home Theatre series sounds excellent, but like everyone is saying, it's pretty damn expensive. You need to be pretty serious to spend what they're asking for the 5.1 setup... it MSRPs for $15,950.

One step down from this (pricewise) is the M&K S150P full active series, which will also set you back quite a bit. Their 5.1 setup which uses the MX5000 MkII sub MSRPs for $13,900.

The Mackie HR824s are also fully biamplified actives (THX PM3 certified), but use an 8" driver instead of a 10" like the Genelec. Surprisingly they keep up incredibly well with both the Genelec and the M&K setups for less than half the price of either one. A 5.1 setup of Mackies with their THX 15" studio sub MSRPs for $6,750.

I've heard all three and yes there is an audible difference, with the Genelecs sounding the best to my ears, but it's not a $10,000 difference IMO. Unless money is no object, I'd go for the Mackies.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Besides the Mackies and Genelecs, have any of you listened to the Event Electronics 20/20bas (biamped system) 2-Way monitors? I compared these to the Genelecs in the same catagory and found my ears got a lot less fatigued over time. They are supposedly near field monitors but they put out a lot of focused sound from a distance. I'm not sure how they would work in a home theater enviorment but since I already own five of them I think I'll give it a try. I'm a bit reluctant to spend the $650 or so on their subwoofer but I've heard it's pretty good.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
The JBL LSR28P is a most impressive active monitor also, but like the Genelec, quite expensive. Technologically, I think it's the most advanced. The woofer uses triple voice coils, one for forward motion, one for reverse, the third for dynamic braking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have owned a Mackie Hr824 theater for a one year now and would never switch to passive speakers. I initially auditioned Genelec, but ended up with the Mackies because to my ears they were as good. Not to mention about half the cost. The dynamic range and accuracy of the Mackies is unbeatable. When I am watching We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson I hit 110 db consistently and the Mackies do not flinch. Do you know what kind of amp and passive speakers you would have to invest in inorder to even come close to 110db? I have a Rsw15 partnered with the Mackies and it is a very nice match. I am looking at replacing it with the Mackie Thx sub though.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Who wants 110db? That sound pressure level is unrecoverably destroying the hair cells in your ears. Not much need to buy detailed and expensive speakers after a few sessions using these levels.

I would stay safely below 90db and look for a speaker that provides the most natural sound. The Dynaudios seem to be closest on your list.

A speaker being detailed does not necessarily imply an artificial raise in the higher frequencies.

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thomas

I did buy the Dynaudios & they are fabulous. I have the A82 with 122C & A 42W. I also have a Rel Strata III sub but I am not sure that it adds anything to the sound the Dyn's do.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Good choice. Coincidentally I have a REL Storm III and I found they do add to the sense of space especially with 2-channel music.

If you enter a room with your eyes closed you still have a good feel for it's size just by listening. For large venues the REL makes this more realistic for me. I have a few Choir recordings that do not contain any low frequencies in the actual voices but they sound rather different with and without the subwoofer.

Then of course there is synthy bass on my one Kraftwerk CD....

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually I did notice that the soundstage is a lot bigger in the high frequencies when the sub is on. I thought this was due to the amp having more power to drive the speakers, since the amp of the sub was doing the low frequencies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.