AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an NEC GP-3000 and everything seems to be proceeding as it should, but then when I try to connect it (S-Video is all I have at the moment) the screen starts rolling from left to right, right to left, etc...and is totally distorted.

Will the set up remote (Aftermarket, coming in the mail) fix this, or is this a sign of serious problems ahead. Any help would sure be appreciated!

BTW, it is floor mounted and I have set the polarity, and screen size accordingly.

Thanks,

Derek

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Maybe, but unlikely. Sounds like the oscillator is off frequency. GP3000's can be problematic. Does the on-screen display look ok? Or is it both?

Did you check all the connectors under the hood to make sure EVERYTHING is plugged in tight? Check the test switch on the deflection board, make sure it's set to normal, or the picture will not lock. It's a little dipswitch..... I don't recall the exact location, but it's on the main deflection board when you open the top cover. I "think" it's towards the rear right corner when you face the front of the projector as floor mounted.

Marc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Marc,

There are 2 of thos switches and both were set to normal. The ONLY adjustments I made (with strict adherence to the manual) was the polarity change for floor mounting, DIP Switch settings, and lens curvature for a smaller sized screen (from 100 to 60").

The onscreen display (although out of focus) looks okay (all black with basic lettering), it is when I try to source it via S-Video or BNC adapter to direct composite video that I have problems. I am sure the adapter board is included because I am able to get a picture, it is just a horrible disfigurement of what life on Mars must be like.

What tests or adjustments can I do?

Thanks for the help, Fanatic :)

Derek

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Hmm... sounds like the video oscillator is out of spec. Have you tried leaving it on for a while like this? Like an hour or so.... I saw this on another GP3000, and it would slowly come in. It got better and cured itself as the projector was used again.

I know there's a small pot that can tweak this. I don't remember where it was anymore. Maybe Doug does... we talked about this some time ago.

Don't throw any money into this unit, as the powersupply will probably die soon enough. There is a list of capacitors that must be replaced to keep it alive. If you fix it to prevent this failure, it should be fine. If it dies beforehand, however, it will be very difficult to get it going again. The problem you have and the powersupply are the 2 failures on this unit. Once fixed, it is a nice projector, though.

Marc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The projector appears to have had some aftermarket work done. Some of the capacitors look like they have had a little too much silicon applied to them to be factory condition. Also, the badge on the back says "Audio Visual Innovations - Tampa, Fl." I am sure the unit is in great condition besides this problem. Power, boards, etc...all look very clean.

It must have been damaged in shipping. Very disappointing.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I had one that looks pristine, but had the same problem. Let it run some and see what it does. Try tapping on the boards to find any bad connections.

Marc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It just got worse instead of better. I have contacted the seller so we can claim the shipping insurance because the item was working fine when it was sent. Hopefully I don't get screwed on this one, because that is $550 I can't afford to lose right now.

What about the PG-6000? Would it be a good unit to own?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Much better, and you can actually fix it.

Marc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its funny, but I twisted one of theose miniscule dials on the board (I twisted all of them) and one of them actually cleared up a lot of the rolling and disfigurement. It is FAR from perfect, but I will see what happens when the remote gets here. If it is not fixable, then I know it was damaged in shipping.

I will have a PG 6000 very soon (with a remote made for the 6200), so I am very glad to here that this unit is markedly improved.

Thanks Tinman, without these forums, people like myself would be lost...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the NEC PG-6000. I'll have the remote for it soon. So far, no picture :( The "standby" light just flashes leading me to believe there is a problem. I am ready to give up on the CRT dream very soon.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Did you try the power switch in the back? What does the LED display say? It should be 00.

Be aware that the PG's generally do NOT have a video decoder board installed. It is an option. These units are designed to be fed RGBHV, line doubled at minimum, and a HTPC will really make it shine. Open the metal cover in the rear of the chassis with the fan on it. If the slot that's in the very back (the short one) is empty, no video decoder. That would give you a blank screen.

Marc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You were right! There was no board in the MB slot.

Will an RGB to RCA converter box work? And if so, will any box do (e.g. Alpine KCE-150V)?

I have a Progressive Scan DVD Player with component RCA connections, and I was hoping that this will work.

Please let me know and thanks again for lowering my blood pressure :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really appreciate your answering my questions. I investigated some signal switchers and I was wondering if the PG will accept 480p through its RGBHV BNC connectors if I use a component to RGB signal switcher like Audio Authorities Model 9A62?

Thanks,

Derek

·
Registered
549 Posts
Derek,

Do not give up on the CRT dream, my friend. The fixed pixel nightmare is easier to enter, but less satisfying overall.

You should get an image with that component to RGB transcoder, taking the output from the DVD player and converting it to RGB. Make certain you plug in the H and V synch properly, and make sure the player is set to progressive output.

IF you have trouble getting a remote, let me know.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will always listen to a rogue philosopher!

Thank you for the advice, I think I will keep the PG and not give up on it. Once I get it running, I'll upload a pic.

I have 2 remotes coming. If the aftermarket one for the GP-3000 works, I'll be selling the GP pretty cheap to anyone interested. I will offer it to AVS members first before sending it to CRTcinema.com. I should have the remote in about 2 weeks, and of course, as you can gather from reading above, all problems with the unit will be listed.

Thanks again,

Derek

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
John,

How are you John? Just talked to Gladys tonight.

Derek,

The GP 3000 is known for a weak video board, the vertical standing small sub board has a pot on top. If you rock it back and forth a tad it will most likely lock up BUT it wont stay, it also has a weak voltage regulator on the same board.

Dont bother running video / s-video on this model, its getting older and caps dry out.

It can still put out a pretty good image on RGB. I have seen these do pretty well using a doubler and a good set up.

You dont want to start turning pots on this model (except the one above) it wont matter it wont stay.

If you plan on keeping you will need to replace the power supply caps before it blows the coveted chip we cant get. Its a must if your going to keep or resell with any confidence. If you do sell as is tell them up front to do it. After that it should be dependable if set up right, crt phosphors are pretty durable on this model. Plenty of used parts around also. I have about 10 parts projectors, all with bad chips in the power supplies. Doug

Send the power supply to Tinman to replace the caps, better ask him first.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hey Doug!!

I've been surfing the clinical depression surges, and 'finally' got back to the behavior that allows me resiliency enough to handle stress. (I'm on my way to the club for a long run now, after I write this.) I didn't handle this Iraq action very well, and then tax time snuck up on me. It sucks not having a concept of time--I am constantly surprised that the garbage men are back each week!

Is this GP 3000 the same chassis that the Landegger's have? I hope to see them when I get to Los Angeles early next month. As a matter of fact...I'll be in Diamond Bar this trip too, visiting a friend and looking over his Niles Audio Intellicontrol and Panny 57" HD RP. When's lunch?!

Hey, I still have those two 6PG chasses...one actually an older Runco 900 that just won't do anything on red horizontal. Could that just be a connection, or do you think it is the board? NOTHING works on horizontal, but vertical is fine. I've been meaning to take pictures of the boards for you...but I was busy that day. Ahem...

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Doug, thank you for the valuable info. I just bought a DVDO iSCAN Plus for $175 and I will use this to test both units. The remote for the GP-3000 will not be here for another 2 weeks, but I will keep you informed if you are interested. I am running out of "working capital" quickly.

I will sell the GP-3000 with the remote for about $750 if the picture looks decent and the remote is fully functional as a service remote.

This way, with minor adjustments that you have already stated, someone can resell or keep a very nice projector in every other respect.

I will keep the PG-6000 if it works well, at least for a while until I can save for an 8" or 9" CRT projector.

Thank you for the great advice! Oh, and I suffer from stress as well being in the military, and I find movies to be the best anti-depressant on the market!

You guys looking forward to Matrix Reloaded, T3, etc...?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yeah,

I always feel more real whenever I leave a good movie. Hollywood does a great job capturing our visual and auditory senses...but once the story ends, I realize I can still smell, taste and touch.

And have a spirit alive within me. THAT they'd love to imitate...but they will never even come close.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, that is why I write. It allows me to create things that I haven't seen anyone else think of, and the experience cannot be replicated be anything tangential or linear in thought when comparing a movie.

Worlds and characters and music are more real then ever when you are the one creating them. It is a great feeling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.