Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I recently had a subwoofer getting damaged by UPS and they are asking me for an original invoice to prove what the sub is worth. I obviously don't have it because it's a few years old so I was wondering if someone who is suscribed to the audio bluebook in Audiogon could run me a report on this sub. It's the B&W Matrix 800 ASW. I could suscribe to it but I just think $20 for one report I need is way too much. If anybody can do this for me I would be willing to pay $5 via paypal.

thanks!

Jorge

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Jorge,

I'm not a guy, but as a fellow Indianapolis audiophile/videophile I'll give you the info for free.

Current Blue Book on th B&W ASW800 sub is $840.00 (New price was $1600.)

If it will help with UPS, you can PM me your fax number and I'll fax the printout to you so that you'll have something in writing. (Or, I'd be happy to snailmail a copy to you.)

I had a pair of Alon Thunderbolt subs shipped from the East coast last month...arrived safe and, er, sound...whew!

Rackon

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
FedEx ground is your friend :) Seriously - their rates for heavy items are a lot cheaper than UPS, and from what I have read online they are much better about refunding for damages.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Kendrid, we are in agreement here. The Thunderbolts came from Rhode Island, paid second day delivery, and arrived in good shape in one day!

I used to own a retail business that shipped a lot of fragile merchandise, including large amounts of crystal and glass. UPS was a pain, never wanted to pay claims, yada yada... Once I discovered Fed Ex Ground (15 minutes from my house, open til 9:30, will pick up, cheaper than UPS for heavy items...) , it was a happy day. I shipped a pair of Spica TC60s to Boston 3rd day for under $30 and they got there the next day! Of course, there was also the time I shipped 4 boxes to Kansas City - 3 went to KC and one went to Chicago before it reached KC.

No shipper is perfect, but I've been very satisfied with price and service from Fed Ex. Knock on wood, no electronics or speakers damaged yet.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kendrid
FedEx ground is your friend :) Seriously - their rates for heavy items are a lot cheaper than UPS, and from what I have read online they are much better about refunding for damages.
Avoid using FedEx ground if you are shipping internationally. I sold my preamp in Audiogon to a person in North Carolina. Shipping from Canada to the USA via FedEx ground has been nothing but a nightmare for both of us. The preamp was held up in customs even though all the paper work was completed. I had to call FedEx to find the whereabouts and only then did they tell me it was stuck in customs otherwise it would still be there. FedEx ground as I found out do not guarantee delivery (times).

It was cheap though. I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
UPS held up an amp in customs that I purchased from Canada. It took much longer than expected to clear. It most likely wasn't UPS' fault, but it was a pain either way.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
The thing that irks me about the FedEx Ground fiasco is that if I sent this International Priority (2-3 days) FedEx would use their own brokerage company and it would get to the recipient. I ask the questions up front but I get the real answers after the fact. rant

·
Registered
224 Posts
Tales like these is the reason I never use anybody's ground service to ship internationally. That said, on the whole, I've had much better handling, and cheaper, faster service from FedEX Ground than UPS. This is based on my experience shipping a several hundred items in a two year time frame.

No shipper is perfect. Problems will arise. (I'm sure most of us can tell horror stories.) But when shipping internationally, be aware delays may occur, some outside the control of the carrier.

Last time I had something shipped from Canada, it came from Coincident, and arrived in about 7 business days.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rackon,

I got your fax!! thanks so much sending it. I'm going in today to Office Depot and starting the saga of getting paid for this sub.

I took a picture of my B&W 800 ASW sub after the damage... this is way you insure packages! :

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcambe...chedmagnet.jpg

The sub had to be dropped from the moving truck for the magnet housing to fracture and detach from the cone. It's so sad that such a nice, hard to find sub ended up this way...!

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
I wish you the best of luck getting your $$$ for the sub. It's been my experience that UPS will find some way to deny payment.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I went over to Office depot today and they said an Inspector will call and come to my home tomorrow to assess the damage. I'm expecting an excuse like :

1) you packed it poorly or

2) the package was too heavy (90lbs) or

3) this was already like this

Any tips as to what I can do to get the inspector to admit they were the ones damaging it? (which they were, by the way)

thanks!

Jorge

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The inspector showed up at my home on Thursday and after seeing the damage and the package she went on to give me "advice" as to how to package and ship, etc... Although I explained that I have shipped many packages and I always use double box and extra cuhioning, she kept on talking as if I would have shipped the B&W sub in a plastic bag. I'm expecting them to deny the claim so is there such thing as an appeal to a denied claim?

Any of you that went through this process and was able to get paid even after the initial claim was denied?

thanks

Jorge

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick follow up on this ....... UPS Paid!!! I'm so glad this turned out ok. Here's some suggestions that helped me a great deal :

1. Never accept responsibility specially if THEY were the ones that damaged the package

2. Explain clearly (and politely) step by step what you did to pack the item.

3. If you explain that you have shipped an 'x' number of packages in the past that seem to have an impact since they think you do know how to pack.

4. Stay on them. Call and follow up as often as necessary. Always be polite and eloquent.

5. Write down all the details. Never give an "I don't know" for an answer.

Hope you are never in a situation like this but if you are, maybe those points will help you.

Jorge

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.