AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody has the Shaw cable HDTV box. What do you think. I am having a hard time trying to find info on this. Talked to Shaw, and they are giving me confilicting info on number of HDTV channels, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have it. There are 5 channels:

130 - HDTV demo (PBS, sports, time shifted prime time HD shows, etc)

136 - KOMO Seattle (ABC)

137 - KIRO Seattle (CBS)

138 - KCPQ Seattle (FOX)

139 - KING Seattle (NBC)

That's it. Opinion: CBS is great, NBC and ABC can be pretty good, FOX is pretty bad as it is always 480p. Most programming is upconverted outside of prime time and some sports. The demo channel is either showing visually great but otherwise boring stuff from PBS (except Soundstage which is unbelievably good) or time-shifted primetime stuff from the 3 networks.

I am spoiled by the HDTV channels - I don't watch analog channels anymore because the PQ is so awful in comparison. The digital SD channels are tolerable.

If I was doing it again I would wait and see.

There is a rumour that the current Motorola DCT5100 HDTV digital cable box that you have to buy at $700 is going to be replaced with a newer PVR-type model. There is another rumour of 12 additional channels by the end of 2003. I asked Shaw about these rumours and they replied with boiler plate responses so don't put much credence in them.

Hope this helps.

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.