AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought an ISCO and installed it in front of my JVC DLA G10E.

Cool thing.

What do you want to know? In germany there are several ISCOs installed since a long time, it's not a brand new product.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Set mine up tonight. Its works as advertised. Increased brightness. Smoother picture. Pixels much less noticable on my SVGA PJ. Everything just looks a little better. Only a very small amount of pincushin distortion. Very happy here. I would have set it up earlier but I had to devise a mount as my PJ hangs a little over 2' below my ceiling. Setup wasn't too difficult.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am having a problem with my throw distance.

I thought I would not have to move anything.

Maybe I am missing something.

Here is what I did:

Set the apeture to be vertical so that looking at it from the front the elipse is vertical. I used the aperture that is closest to the full open position. That is, I moved the set screw very little.

Then set this on my shelf in front of a JVC G11.

Switched the Crystal Images (5,2I) to 1365 x 1024.

Chanaged the RCA DTC100 to 4:3.

Changed the G11 to 4:3.

G11 SOURCE = AUTO

Then when I try to zoom the picture down I cannot get it to fit within my screen.

I am rougky 24 feet from the screen. Screen is 96 x 54.

G11 RESIZE s OFF.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Without the lens, can you get the entire panel (not letterboxed material) to fit the screen vertically? I had to move my pj foreward a couple of feet to use the ISCO II.

·
Registered
853 Posts
With the ISCO II you LOSE 25% of your throw distance. Just recalculate at 75% and yes, you have to move it given the same screen size.

Greg

·
Registered
611 Posts
From pictures and comments, it appears that there are four degrees of freedom for the lens. The height off the base plate can be adjusted, the rotation of the baseplate in the horizontal plane, the rotation of the lens in the vertical plane (it can be aimed up or down from horizonal) and, perhaps, some adjustment to fine tune the asymmetric nature of the as-ground lens. Someone mentioned a 'set screw.' Where does that fit into the structure? Are there additional degrees of freedom? When you move through a range of motion, what happens? If you rotate the lens upward, what happens to the image? Do you seek to set geometry first and then focus, or must it be iterative? Does the lens have its own focus adjustment, if so, we are up to five degrees of freedom. Is fine tuning of focus accomplished with the lens or the projector focus? Must you start with an accurately size, shaped and focused projector as a prerequisite?

TIA Vince

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vince:

There is an adjustment that you set to align the apeture on initial set up. You rotate the lens from the rear position to get an elipse image centered vertically to fit your lens. When you have this right a set screw gets released to hold that in place.

There is then the up and down adjustment of the stand that you mention, plus a focus adjustment on the lens.

Chuck

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hi Chuck, thanks for the feedback.

Mannfred said before he departed that if the 16:9 was being used with the short throw lens designed for rear projection [meaning a lens without offset] that the lens would merely be aligned such that the light from the projector (exiting straight out of the projector lens (no offset) passed straight through it. this would be quite easy to align and unlikely to introduce noticeable geometric distortion.

But on the majority of D-ILAs the zoom lens does have offset. In your experience is it true that the ISCO is 'pointed' such that it is aimed at the center of the screen as opposed to the top edge as is the case with the projector lens. If this is so, then this would give an easy way to get the initial alignment into the ball park. Laying a laser level along the top edge of the mounting bracket, which appears to be parallel to the boresight would be easy and make it quick to do accurately.

Have you found that the image can be focused as clearly with the lens as without it?

Do you use a hushbox? Does location of the 16:9 inside appear feasible?

Vince

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vince:

Yes, we use the Whipser Flow. We ordered the add on shelf from Dave beatty but, IMO, this shelf is not large enough for the ISCOII. I think the shelf I have was for something else. The ISCO II with stand is large.

From the tests that I did I think the picture is a little softer, but don't hold me to this.

When I get a little more time and can have the stuff here to get the throw distance right I'll do more formal tests.

The lens seems very well built.

You can focus the lens manually after you have it mounted.

Chuck

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Carlos was kind enough to bring his ISCO II to my place to show how my old Vidikron Crystal One would do: stunning! installation in a few seconds, playing with the zoom and focus and voilÃ*!

my projector is a long throw one, 8.8meter from my 3meter screen, so absolutely no pincussion, distorsion or whatever. the results were stunning: compressed screendoor and pixels was a big plus, added brightness and contrast, even colors look even better since screendoor was reduced and the dvds are played as they should or should I say naturally: in 480p-16/9 enhanced (and 576p 16.9 enhanced for PAL dvds), give or take here and there some pixels, depending on your projector of course.

The visual effect of reduced black lines and a 2.35:1 screen is stunning btw.

I really think the anamorphic enhanced images through an optical device is better than digitally, by 4/3 projectors. It's quite obvious to me.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Aren't you supposed to set the source i.e. the DTC100 to 16X9 and the projector to 4X3 for the anamorphich lens to work properly? I don't know for sure as I am awaiting the arrival of my anamorphic lens.

Larry

·
Registered
611 Posts
set the DTC-100 to 16:9 and set the D-ILA to 4:3. Then the ISCO will stretch it out. DVD players can be set the same way. Other sources can be squeezed in the Vigatec (and Rock and Leeza I think) so that the lens can be left in place.

Vince

·
Registered
462 Posts
"With the ISCO II you LOSE 25% of your throw distance. Just recalculate at 75% and yes, you have to move it given the same screen size. "

I get very confuse when I see messages that indicate a change in distance when comparing Isco vs Panny without giving all the before and after data.

I am contempating a DLA projector and an ISCO II lens. My understanding is that if I zoom my picture, sans Isco, so that it fits the height of the 16:9 screen there are no futher or minor adjustments to be made. Is this correct?

In my proposed situation, I should be able to use the zoom so that I can use the Panny or Isco from the same projection distance.

I would appreciate a confirmation before I buy all this equipment.

Thanks

Tony C

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Costanza
"With the ISCO II you LOSE 25% of your throw distance. Just recalculate at 75% and yes, you have to move it given the same screen size. "

I get very confuse when I see messages that indicate a change in distance when comparing Isco vs Panny without giving all the before and after data.

I am contempating a DLA projector and an ISCO II lens. My understanding is that if I zoom my picture, sans Isco, so that it fits the height of the 16:9 screen there are no futher or minor adjustments to be made. Is this correct?

In my proposed situation, I should be able to use the zoom so that I can use the Panny or Isco from the same projection distance.

I would appreciate a confirmation before I buy all this equipment.

Thanks

Tony C
If you can adjust the zoom so that the full 4:3 panel will fit on the verticle demension of your 16:9 screen (the width of the screen will not be filled), than you can use the ISCO II. The Panamorph requires that you can fill the full width of the 16:9 screen. If you zoom has enough range, you may be able to use either. My zoom does not. I had set up my PJ for the Panamorph. When I got the ISCO II, I had to move my PJ closer because with the zoom set to the smallest image, the screen was still cropping the top and bottom of the image. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Just a quick post to add that I got my ISCO II lens as well.

I agree that the Whisperflow shelf is too short for the ISCO II.

It still supports the new nes (I had an ISCO I), but 1/3rd of the base extends past the shelf unsupported.

I'm sure that Dave to build a retrofit shelf, but I just added a safety line looped through the right lens support to catch the lens if it slipped off (earthquake).

My setup took a whole 5 minutes to get it up and running, but it will be longer to compensate for the ISCO I 1.44 mods that I had done for my last lens. I've used Dilard to start dong this.

DVDs are fine now, but I have to fix the 1080i mode as it's too narrow now with the 1.33:1 stretch.

The pincushioning is still there, but much reduced. The vignetting is completely gone because of the larger lens, and the edge focus is better.

Overall is it a noticable but subtle improvement over my last ISCO I lens which I've now sold to it's happy new owner.

The only real problem that I've had with the ISCO II is that it's so massive that it blocks the IR reciever on the front of my G15 so I have to aim carefully around the lens to focus or zoom the FPTV.

But I don't have to do that often.

Thanks Tom for handling the shipment so professionally.

-Dean.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Quote:
it blocks the IR reciever on the front of my G15 so I have to aim carefully around the lens to focus or zoom the FPTV
Hi Dean,

You know, you have all of the pieces in place to do RS-232 automation instead, if you wish (null modem, Dilard, license).

Also, we are having a discussion about D-ILA and ISCO II mods over in the Immersive Forum

Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.