AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm setting up my new place... already have the 55b8500 ordered, and now looking for a sound upgrade. Originally I was going to go with the Onkyo 7200 which I know is a great option, but the room is about 12 feet x 17 feet, and is in a condo complex, so I think it may be too powerful. The reason I liked the Onkyo so much, like I'm sure many people do, is because of the 5 HDMI inputs. The reasons I wasn't too excited about it was because of all the wires, and too many speakers possibly for the amount of space. Anyway I was looking around for other HTIB setups for reasonable prices and came across this new Samsung system.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/t...l&tab=features

Retail price is just $399, and it has 4 hdmi inputs. This could be perfect for me, but I find it amazing that there is so little information about this system and it is already for sale at multiple retailers. I'm guessing for the price it won't be anywhere near a great system, but what do people think can this setup be pretty decent? I don't need to have my whole place shake(although I wouldn't mind it all, more worried about my neighbors) so I want to see if anybody has more info on this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I would suggest you look at the Denon AVR-590ba(3 HDMI inputs) or Onkyo ht-s6200(4 HDMI inputs)

Both of those systems come with a solid real reciever which will be good for upgrading down the line.

Or maybe get a Onkyo tx-sr507 reciever (5.1 reciever with 4 HDMI inputs)

-and-
Polk RM6750 5.1 kit OR Jamo S413 HCS 5

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just from looking at the Samsung I wouldn't I wouldn't go with it. Don't worry about the wires, its part of the necessary part for surround sound. As for the shaking your condo you can always turn the subwoofer volume down. Thats what I do in my apartment complex at night and I have no complaints. I only watch movies at full volume during the day

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion.

Basically I need a receiver that has at least 3 hdmi inputs, preferably 4... since I am not sure what the advantages of plugging the hdmi from a cable box to the receiver is compared to just an optical cable? I Also have a ps3, 360, and apple TV so those are the other 3.

Now the way the room is set up it will be tough to get 4 rear speakers in there, so I'm guessing I'm better off going with a 5.1 system that has just 2 rear speakers?

Can I get the 7200 and only hook up the rear 2 speakers and turn it into 5.1? Any other suggestions for what I need? Does any company make a sound bar that has 4 hdmi inputs? I saw the sony one that gets pretty good reviews which has 3 which I was also considering...

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Yes you can turn off the rear surround speakers of the onkyo ht7200 and not even hook them up. It will not effect the performance of the system at all. I personally have a 7.1 reciever and I only run 5.1 set of speakers. It is extremely easy to do and it is apart of the general seting up of the system just leave 2 of the rear speakers in the box

Generally I recommend having everything hooked up to the reciever due to sheer ease of use. as everything is hooked up to reciever with and just a single HDMI to the TV. Also HDMI cables can transfer alot more information at a higher bit rate which allows for better quality. I personally don't know of any cable box that allows for the HD audio codecs which require HDMI but it could work. Though I do know some cable boxes have issues when you split the connection.

As far as sound bars Sony has the most inputs at 3 HDMI inputs on the ct100 and ct500.

--------------------------------------------------------

Onkyo tx-sr507 reciever = 4 HDMI inputs

Onkyo ht-s6200 7.1 HTIB = 4 HDMI inputs

Onkyo ht-s7200 7.1 HTIB = 4 HDMI inputs

Personally speaking if you can afford to buy the either the the HT-S6200 or HT-S7200 they are both great recievers to start with and what I recommend for you to purchase. I know if I could have afforded those then I purchased my set-up I would have went with those. The Samsung you are comparing it would be crushed with either the HTIB's i suggested

Hooking up Home Theaters isn't that complicated, you just have to actually read the manual.

Make sure your purchase that it can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA. Those are the two latest formats of HD audio.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I saw it at Brandsmart for $348. It looks really nice. I asked them if I could get a remote to play with it but they said they don't have them. It does have HDMI v1.4 which is awesome for future setups. And it says it supports Anynet+ which is another huge plus, especially with a Samsung TV and Blu-ray player.

I guess if the speakers sounded bad you could just upgrade them. And you still have a Samsung receiver with 4 v1.4 HDMI inputs, Anynet+, and it is definitely more stylish than any other receivers, in my opinion.

Also, forgot to add, I am pretty sure it doesn't decode TrueHD/DTS-HD. Just PCM. So that may effect your decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by romajc84 /forum/post/18336432

I saw it at Brandsmart for $348. It looks really nice. I asked them if I could get a remote to play with it but they said they don't have them. It does have HDMI v1.4 which is awesome for future setups. And it says it supports Anynet+ which is another huge plus, especially with a Samsung TV and Blu-ray player.

I guess if the speakers sounded bad you could just upgrade them. And you still have a Samsung receiver with 4 v1.4 HDMI inputs, Anynet+, and it is definitely more stylish than any other receivers, in my opinion.

Also, forgot to add, I am pretty sure it doesn't decode TrueHD/DTS-HD. Just PCM. So that may effect your decision.

PCM should be fine, since most good blu-ray players can decode TrueHD/DTS-HD internally and send the signal as LPCM with no change whatsoever in the characteristics of the audio. While some may argue that these compression formats, when decoded by the receiver itself, may somewhat sound "louder", it has been succesfully argued elsewhere in these forums that the quality of the audio is/should be exactly the same, and the change in dB is nothing but a placebo effect from seeing the little TrueHD/DTS-HD icons light up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts