AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer says she can get me the AX100 for a substantially lower price than the AX100U. Per Panasonic (according to this dealer), the non-U version is simply the Japanese version and carries the same warranty in the States as the U version. Apparently, they have had significantly less problems with this model as well according, again, to Panasonic themselves.


Can anyone confirm for certain that the AX100 and the AX100U are indeed the same projector? I know the AX100 doesn't have any rebates associated with it but it's still going to cost me SIGNIFICANTLY less than an AX100U so I'm about to pull the trigger if someone can confirm to me that it's the same unit.


FWIW... I was also told that the AX100U-EC was the same unit too just that it was the unit built for the Canadian/European market and it's significantly higher in price than the "U" version for the US. Nutz, ain't it?!?


Anybody help?


Thanks,

bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson-Flyer /forum/post/0


My local dealer says she can get me the AX100 for a substantially lower price than the AX100U. Per Panasonic (according to this dealer), the non-U version is simply the Japanese version and carries the same warranty in the States as the U version. Apparently, they have had significantly less problems with this model as well according, again, to Panasonic themselves.

So you're saying Panasonic is finally admitting that there's problems with the AX100U ? Very interesting.


Your 'dealer' is deceiving you and feeding you a lot of BS. I would run, not walk away from this dealer as fast as possible. Order whatever projector you want from one of the reliable forum sponsors like PP or VA, if not then Costco.


If you still decide to buy from this 'dealer', be aware, Panasonic AX100's intended for the japanese market come with japanese only menus as well as japanese only remotes. There is no english/language settings on it. Panasonic US will absolutely not honor the warranty on the japanese model here in the US.


Sorry to poop on your dealer's party.

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Hi Wilson-Flyer


Can I just confirm that over here in the UK, we have the Panasonic AX100E. It is the european version of the AX100U. I have been trying to decide on my first projector and had settled on this one - that was however, until I came across these forums. I could not believe the amount of problems you guys are having with this projector. The UK forums I have been searching on has mentioned that some of the owners have experienced the flicker problem, but this was the first I have heard regarding the colour issue with the edges. This concerned me as this is a big purchase for me and don't want to make a mistake. So I specifically asked the owners of the AX100E if they had any of these issues and only one said that in the test screen there was a very slight warming to the edge, but nothing like the example I gave him (pic taken from a review site showing the problem).


Now this may be that as it is a relatively new projector over here (Oct/Nov 06), the problems have still to develop, but I do think it is strange that so many of the AX100U owners over there have problems, and yet the AX100E owners over here have hardly mentioned any problems - and are delighted with their purchase.


Time will tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Joe. Could you please point me to links that substantiate your claims.


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This pretty much seems to dispute the "Japanese Only" menu claim:

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/p...fications.html


Still researching the rest.


You know. I'm the first one in line to say "Support the forum vendors" but $400-500 is $400-500 and I'm a paid member here. I come here for information and to buy from sponsors when appropriate but when there's ~30% of the purchase price on the line, my budget and my pocketbook come into play.


About to close this post when the phone rings. It's my dealer... with Pany on the line...


UPDATE: I just PERSONALLY got off a conference call with Jacoby Bennet (sp.?) with Panasonic Tech support US at 1-888-411-1996 and he has personally assured me (as a gentleman named Mark did my dealer at the same number yesterday) that the AX100 and the AX100U are "identical" in EVERY way. Warranty, remote, everything (Edit Add
except no rebates on the non-U model. Boo hoo. $500 difference in price from my dealer too ($EDIT: Pricing removed). That too much for me to ignore. Best price from PP was approximately $500 more (+ rebates). (EndEdit)


That's good enough for me. Anybody with different information might wanna check their sources.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
If this is a Japanese AX100 it will not have a language choice on the onscreen menu other than japanese and will not have a valid warranty by Panasonic US.


Your remote will look like this (MINUS THE STICKERS)




You can chose to believe it or ignore. It's your money.

Good luck.


Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Black /forum/post/0


If this is a Japanese AX100 it will not have a language choice on the onscreen menu other than japanese and will not have a valid warranty by Panasonic US.


Your remote will look like this (MINUS THE STICKERS)




You can chose to believe it or ignore. It's your money.

Good luck.


Joe

I choose to believe what Panasonic just told me. THAT'S what I choose to believe. I'm going to jump to an irrational conclusion and deduct that their technical support team probably knows their product line.


My dealer offered me 100% return policy. No questions asked. They are Panasonic authorized. 'Bout all anybody could ask for. All I have to lose is 2-3 days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson-Flyer /forum/post/0


Hi Joe. Could you please point me to links that substantiate your claims.


Thanks.

Still waiting.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson-Flyer /forum/post/0


Still waiting.

Don't waste your time, Wilson,

This new kid likes to insult, degrade and otherwise troll on all Panosonic threads. He doesn't personally know much about anything video but is getting pretty good at cut and pasting negitive stuff to make mostly meaningless points.


If you can make the stretch investigate the new JVC RS1 which should cover the entire year coming for "state of the art" projectors at surprising cost when you investigate.


By the way, if your confidant with your source you will really like the LCOS type image of the AX100. Quite a bargain, even it's US MSRP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Hi Wilson-Flyer


Just wondering if the dealer actually said that it was the Jap version or just a non "U" version. It may be the european version.


Just having a look at the languages on the "E" version it includes the following:


English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Korean, Russian, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Portuguese & Thai.


There is no mention of Japanese.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR /forum/post/0


Don't waste your time, Wilson,

This new kid likes to insult, degrade and otherwise troll on all Panosonic threads. He doesn't personally know much about anything video but is getting pretty good at cut and pasting negitive stuff to make mostly meaningless points.


If you can make the stretch investigate the new JVC RS1 which should cover the entire year coming for "state of the art" projectors at surprising cost when you investigate.


By the way, if your confidant with your source you will really like the LCOS type image of the AX100. Quite a bargain, even it's US MSRP.

Thanks for the advice.


Yea. I had pretty much concluded exactly what you said. I was just being nice and not saying it. LOL I've been around a while. I see these types come and go. Have for years.


I trust my dealer explicitly, especially after confirming it with Jacoby on the phone. I'll report back my findings in this thread.


I must confess that if what I've found is true, I find it unbelieveably amazing that someone hasn't discovered this before me and posted it here. That's the one thing that makes me somewhat tentative about this whole deal.


I'm just buying it (via my dealer) from distribution (Ingram Micro). I find it equally hard to believe that Ingram would even carry the non-US version. My bet is that the AX100 is the BUSINESS solutions projector minus any rebates andthat the AX100U is the consumer version with a higher price tag and rebates as an incentive. This is exactly what it appears to be to me.


We shall see. Like I said, I will report my findings back here; good or bad and then we'll know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordieboy /forum/post/0


Hi Wilson-Flyer


Just wondering if the dealer actually said that it was the Jap version or just a non "U" version. It may be the european version.


Just having a look at the languages on the "E" version it includes the following:


English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Korean, Russian, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Portuguese & Thai.


There is no mention of Japanese.

I did learn that the "EC" (I think that's what it's called) is the European/Canadian version. It has rebate incentives too.


If you go to the link at Pany for the AX100 (non-U) and DL the manual, it's exactly the same manual as for the U version.


Like I said, we shall see 'cause I done and ordered it (that's southern for the check's in the mail. LOL).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW and just to clear up some confusion I may have created. I was SPECULATING in my original post with regards to the non-U version being Japanese. I have found nothing to substantiate my original conclusion and as a matter of fact, Panasonic technical support can't even tell me what the difference is except that (and I quote Jacoby) "They are exactly the same."
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,708 Posts
Little Mighty Joey Black is upset
.

Just sent me a PM ....Get a life kid



Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Black /forum/post/0


Somehow you feel this is enough of a reason to come on the thread and insult me ? You look like a fool just like you did on the RS1 thread about Jason's eye.
No one likes you Jimmy.


What's the matter ******** ? Sales too slow with your panasonics ? You'll need to do a lot more damage control than that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,305 Posts
I'm closing this thread...


Wilson, you can start a new one when you actually know what's really going on. Right now you are just speculating.


Jimmy & Joe, use the ignore function. The next one of you who insults the other on this forum will be immediately suspended. No warning!


Kyser
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top