AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically why the 5700 is long throw and 7200 is short throw.... It seems to me that since other than the chips being different they are almost exactly the same design/build. Im really interested in the 5700 but I will have problems with the throw where I could fit a 7200 but I dont think it will fit into my (student) budget.... Any way to modify the 5700 for short throw.... I may have to consider the Benq because I want a widescreen DLP projector.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I went thru the same issue. The throw of the 5700 was too short. I wanted a 96' wide at 12'. The 7200 barely makes it. No short throw lens for the 5700. Sorry. IF had a $1K rebate in December so

I jumped.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Marketing. Guy goes into a home theater store. Looks at 5700 and 7200. Both look nice. Sales guy says the 7200 will do HD better because of greater resolution. Better blacks and smoother PQ. Customer looks hard and tries to justify the extra $3K. Sales guy goes on to describe the difference in throw and ease of set-up on the 7200. Customer gets out his gold card and springs for the 7200.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The 5700 and the 7200 use different lenses, with the lens on the 5700 having a slightly reduced zoom range and the correction of the slight geometric distortion of the 7200's lens. As to the why, I think it's because Infocus thinks (and rightly so) that people would rather have the projector above and behind them rather than right over their seating position. The lower resolution of the 5700 means that it should be used on a smaller screen than the 7200 and so the throw would have to be longer to compensate. For instance, the 5700 needs to be at least 13.5' from a 100" screen, and can be nearly 19' from that screen. The 7200 can be anywhere from 10' to 15' away for the same screen size, allowing you to go with a larger screen in the same space due to the higher resolution.

That's my theory anyway. Bob Williams would have to respond to tell you exactly why they did it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.