AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody leave their panamorph on for 16/9 films as well as for 2.35 films?

I've had the panamorph for about a year and have finally gotten around to putting it on.

I am using a HD+ so I can adjust the picture config to about anything I want. Stretching the picture vertically looks good on 2:35 stuff but I was wondering if I left the lens on and compressed a 16/9 image horizontally 33% if that would give the proper proportions to the picture.

I like how the lens gets rid of the perception of screen door on the widescreen stuff and would like to get the same benefit for all movies watched.

Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Anybody leave their panamorph on for 16/9 films as well as for 2.35 films?

I've had the panamorph for about a year and have finally gotten around to putting it on.

I am using a HD+ so I can adjust the picture config to about anything I want. Stretching the picture vertically looks good on 2:35 stuff but I was wondering if I left the lens on and compressed a 16/9 image horizontally 33% if that would give the proper proportions to the picture.

I like how the lens gets rid of the perception of screen door on the widescreen stuff and would like to get the same benefit for all movies watched.

Thanks

Ed
The majority of people with the P752 and constant height keep the lens in place all the time. The resolution drop is pretty much unnoticeable as you still use all the vertical resolution which is more important than horizontal.

To get 16x9 to look correct, you would as you said squeeze by 33% so that 16x9 is the 4x3 shape. The lens then corrects the proportions.

·
Registered
28,070 Posts
The most recent iScan HD+ firmware makes aspect ratio control on a 2.35:1 screen very easy. You just set the screen shape for 2.35:1 and then hit the 16:9 AR button to pillarbox the image into the center of the frame.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
COol thanks,

Hey, I got my HD upgraded to HD+. How could I get a manual to tell me how to use the features of the new software?

Ed

·
Registered
28,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler
Hey, I got my HD upgraded to HD+. How could I get a manual to tell me how to use the features of the new software?
I believe there's one on the DVDO web site. If you can't find it there and can't figure it out, ask here and I can help you out.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Josh\\

I am just being lazy obviously.. Spend too much time on this forum as it is without actually searching for the answers!

Ed

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Hi Ed

I also leave my lens in place at all times. The difference between the lens in place and not when watching 16x9 are so small its not worth the effort.

And I have pritty darn good eye sight6

Darn looks like I hit the wrong key. I meant to put a period after the word "sight" where the hell are my glasses.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Alan,

Long time no talk. Finally got the Yamaha Z9 running and the panamorph on. Kind of gave up waiting on the theater to be built to enjoy these.

I've purchased a crt for the theater, but everytime I watch something now on this set up I almost have second thoughts about going to all the trouble of a crt. Then a dark scene comes up and I need a crt! At any rate, I am enjoying the panamorph a lot.

Take care

Ed

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Ed

I know what you mean about CRT. The trick is to forget about it and never look at it again then you will be able to enjoy the Digital technology a lot better.

Glad your enjoying the Yamaha/Panamorph combo & welcome to the 235:1 club.

·
Banned
946 Posts
Hi kofboy:

What do you like about 2.35:1 ? You have to be more specific than that. You have been posting in this forum not asking any relevant questions. Ask and ye shall be answered.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I just installed a system with the following video chain:

Denon 2900 / DVDO iScan HD+ / JVC HX2 / Panamorph / Vutec SilverStar

I'm going to use the system in a constant height config. If you use the Panamorph lens you pretty much need to leave the lens in place all the time for a constant height setup because it shifts the image down quite a bit. It also simplifies life so much when you can just hit a button and flick between resolutions. I'll be surprised if I see a major difference due to scaling from the config w/ Panamorph to w/o it.

R-S

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Alan, do you really not notice the difference between 720p with 1280 horizontal res versus 720p with 960 horizontal res? I am using that as an example, since I thought you had a Panny 3-chip, but I may be behind the times. But you understand the question, even if your hardware has changed, again. :D

I am just a little surprised, since some on this forum constantly whine about, for example, DirecTV HD being "only" 1280 x 1080i. At least I think that is the number. Maybe it is 1440 x 1080i. Either way, it isn't "full" 1920 x 1080i, and I buy into their dissatisfaction philosopically, but haven't experienced the difference with my own pretty sharp eyes to know if I can see the difference. Anyway, I am intrigued by the idea of Constant Height, and I think I want one, but part of me doesn't want to give up the extra pixels if they are available, and wants full 1280 x 720 (realistically for now) or 1920 x 1080 (I can dream, can't I?) on every source. I know it is kind of two discussions, but I just wonder if parallels can be drawn between the two (DirecTV "Lite" and watching 16:9 on a Constant Height/fixed lens setup).

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Alan, do you really not notice the difference between 720p with 1280 horizontal res versus 720p with 960 horizontal res? I am using that as an example, since I thought you had a Panny 3-chip, but I may be behind the times. But you understand the question, even if your hardware has changed, again.

I am just a little surprised, since some on this forum constantly whine about, for example, DirecTV HD being "only" 1280 x 1080i. At least I think that is the number. Maybe it is 1440 x 1080i. Either way, it isn't "full" 1920 x 1080i, and I buy into their dissatisfaction philosopically, but haven't experienced the difference with my own pretty sharp eyes to know if I can see the difference. Anyway, I am intrigued by the idea of Constant Height, and I think I want one, but part of me doesn't want to give up the extra pixels if they are available, and wants full 1280 x 720 (realistically for now) or 1920 x 1080 (I can dream, can't I?) on every source. I know it is kind of two discussions, but I just wonder if parallels can be drawn between the two (DirecTV "Lite" and watching 16:9 on a Constant Height/fixed lens setup).
You can get a primasonic lens that you move out of the way for 16x9. That way you can get the best for both 2.35 and 16x9.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yes, that is a good solution for optimizing both. If I had the money, I would buy a Runco VX-2c AutoScope with the motorized sliding anamorphic lens and DHD scaler that does it for me, but I personally can't afford that right now, even though I am a dealer and could get it at cost. (Truth be known, I really want the SC-1/AutoScope combo with a 2048x1080p 3-chip DLP engine. Hubba Hubba!) That wasn't really the point of my query, though. I was trying to wade through the hullaballoo surrounding the perceived resolution thing. Sort of, "If you look at 1440 x 1080 and 1920 x 1080, and there is no visible difference, what's all the fuss about?", you know. If you move the lens in and out of the way, that nullifies the question, because you are then getting all the source has to give anyway.

edited: 1140 x 1080 to read 1440 x 1080

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger
Ed

I know what you mean about CRT. The trick is to forget about it and never look at it again then you will be able to enjoy the Digital technology a lot better.

Glad your enjoying the Yamaha/Panamorph combo & welcome to the 235:1 club.
CRT is possible.

I am seriously considering going with 2.35:1 with my Barco Graphics 808 CRT projector. I have already confirmed that it is possible with my HTPC to have a 2.35:1 output by stretching horizontally with the projector and using Power Strip to tweak the video signal further so 2.35:1 is achieved. For HDTV signals, I will just increase horizontal and vertical (zoom in) and use the blanking function for the top and bottom for 2.35:1 and zoom back out so to speak for 16:9 material.

Mike

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
I leave my lens in place for 2 reasons -

1. Its too much messing around to re-align the thing every time and

2. The lens seems to slightly defocus the image to the point where the SDE of my LCD is not always visible, and I figure that this improvement should be seen all the time, not just for 2.35:1...

Mark

PS My lens is not a Panamorph, but stays in place none the less...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Quote:
Yes mabey we can look forward to SED displays that will be the best of both world's :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.