AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my DVI cable yesterday and hooked my computer up to my HS10 connected to a 9500 Pro card. But I have found some very odd things out about the way the HS10 interacts with widescreen resolutions. If I am in computer mode, the only widescreen resolution that displays properly is 1368x768. This is nice, however it seems that the 56Hz refresh rate is too slow for any game to use it. If I try 1280x720 it shows up really screwed up, almost as though it's scaled and cropped within a 4x3 frame. I dunno why, it's weird. The same goes for 1184x666, 1280x768, 960x540. Now if I switch over to VideoGBR on the HS10 and reboot the computer I can get 1280x720 to show up, although it has major overscan, I can get 1184x768 to show up (which looks perfect) but I can't get 1368x768, 1024x768 or 800x600 to work. So I can get any game based on the Unreal Warefare engine to run at 1184x666 and it looks gorgeous! I can also do the same with games based on the GTA3 engine (GTA3 and Mafia). But games that are suppose to naturally support widescreen resolution or also have custom resolutions won't work. Most of these are EA games: BF1942, NFSHP2, FIFA, NBA, Madden, etc. Now my only assumption is that these games are displaying menus in a 4:3 resolution that the HS10 can't use in VideoGBR mode. But when I use Computer mode, it won't let me chose any widescreen resolutions, only 4:3. I have the latest ATI drivers, the latest Powerstrip. Does anybody have ANY suggestions? Has anyone been able to play any of the EA games in true widescreen on the HS10 (especially BF1942 or Need 4 Speed HP2)?? Please, any help would be appreciated! Thanks a ton for reading this long winded thread!

|..frizzo..|

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
I had an HS10 and one of the reasons I sold it was the 56hz vertical refresh requirement. I never tried playing computer games but had problems with my H3D card. Check in the under 5K projector forum and there are discussions about which resolutions work for DVI at other refresh rates. I'm not sure if you can use DScaler playing games but I think it may be one solution.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was on the virge of ordering an HS-10 til I saw this thread. I have not heard of any problems of this sort with the HS-10 til I read this. Did the VGA output solve the problem?

PC gaming is a factor for me so I will get back on the fence...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Forgive me of my ignorance as my HS10 is in the shop but I do believe the HS10 does NOT have a VGA.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't remember seeing one.

Chris

·
Registered
118 Posts
Correct on the HS-10 not having a VGA, DVI only...

However, with the Radeon 9500 pro card there should be a DVI to VGA converter that I believe would allow a VGA cable to be hooked up to the DVI port via the HS10. It should work fine as far as I know.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after a month of owning the HS10 I can say that it wasn't built for widescreen PC gaming. Although I would have really liked it to be it isn't. I even talked to Sony and they said it was more of a Pro-sumer model and if I wanted large amounts of computer resolutions, I would have needed more of a business presentation model. I guess this makes sense. I don't know if any other projector out there is much better in this aspect. Can anybody say if the Panny does well in widescreen PC resolutions? or the Epson TW100? But at least I got some games to work. Anything based on the Unreal Warefare engine (Splinter Cell, Unreal 2, UT2003, Rainbow Six Raven Shield, Deus Ex 2, etc) works awesome with custom resolutions and looks absolutely gorgeous! And anything based on the GTA3 engine (GTA 3, Mafia, GTA Vice City) will work even at 1368x768 and other widescreen resolutions metioned above. So if PC gaming is the most important thing for getting a projector, I guess you will need a business unit, but DVD quality and HDTV quality won't be as good as a Home Theater model. My 2 cents.

|..frizzo..|

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.