AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of new B&W FPM-2's. The way the walls and openings in my room are, the only real good place to mount them is right in a corner.

Most generic recommendations say to mount them flat and no closer than 20" to the adjacent wall. There are no rear firing ports. Will mounting them in a corner adversely affect the sound?

·
Registered
448 Posts
If there arent any rear firing ports i doubt it will negatively affect it much. It most likely also depend on how much you care about having perfect sound.

·
Registered
399 Posts
From an acoustic point of view, there's really no place worse then in a corner, especially up high or down low, where the speaker will have 3 solid surfaces to reflect off. This will cause reinforcements of the lower and mid frequencies. Basically, all the work the designer has done to voice the speaker in a certain way will be compromised...

If you can avoid it, you will be better off.

·
Registered
30,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr13 /forum/post/18297086

I have a pair of new B&W FPM-2's. The way the walls and openings in my room are, the only real good place to mount them is right in a corner.

Most generic recommendations say to mount them flat and no closer than 20" to the adjacent wall. There are no rear firing ports. Will mounting them in a corner adversely affect the sound?

The answer is yes, it will. However, that does not mean the effect is to totally corrupt the performance nor does it mean that the effect is not correctable to a great degree. One solution is to have an effective room/speakerEQ function in your prepro or AVR. Those that I have used and that have been remarkably effective for my corner-mounted (2wall corner, away from the ceiling or floor) include Audyssey MultEQ XT, ARC and Trinnov.

What's in your AVR?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts