Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys!

The search thingy can't find it, any help would be swell.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Hi Tim,

That was my post. Your not going to try this with an expensive Marquee are you. It was an experiment with a cheap scratched ECP lens. It cleaned up the outer lens of the scratches, but in the process removed the anti-reflective coating. In this case the lens was junk anyways so I had nothing to loose. What's your plan for it?

Chip S.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Say Chip

Yeah it is a Marquee lens with scuffs, but I have cheaper lenses to practice on. What was your procedure?

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Tim,

I know I don't have to explain to you the down side of this. Basically what I did was to find something that spun at a constant rate of speed, I used an old turntable set to 78 Rpm. I then used one of those rubber discs that you use to remove jar caps with so as to supply the needed friction between the lens and turntable (absolutly clean so that you dont scratch the back side of the lens). I used an old diaper soaked in warm water with cheap toothe paste, plain white with no additives to sweeten your breath or make deeper scratches in your lenses. Smear some on the cloth and go for it giving equal time to the whole surface. You probably will not be able to save the anti-reflective coating and will have to buff it all off. You will be suprised at how thick that coating is. Once you have gone through the coating in one place you have to remove the whole thing (you know why). The lens will look like new, looking at the projector but the trained eye will pick up thr reflections on the screen. Once you've removed the problem area rinse with warm water, reinstall on the spinning devise of your choice and dry buff with the cleanest softest cloth you can find. If you hadn't just brought this up, I would have forgotten that lens is still on my projector, And I'm still useing it. Do I need to put a disclaimer in here? The lens I did this to had zero value as is so I had nothing to loose.

Chip S.

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Hey,

Can anyone comment on the difference the lack of lens coating on the outside of the outermost lens makes to the projected image?

It's hard to decide between a coated/scuffed lens and a lens that looks new but lacks this coating.

In my case (Sony 1271) Inner parts of the lens assembly also appear coated and these are in perfect shape since they haven't been exposed to wear. My unit was probably a rental in a previous life thus accounting for the wear on it's case and outer lenses.

Thanks and Good Luck,

-Brian

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys!

Sounds like the excuse I needed to buy another Thorens turntable. Say Chip, what do you recommend for tonearm and cartridge?!? :D

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I don't believe I've played any vinal in 10 or 12 years but the turntable I used was of the very very high precision type. Now it looks like something from a pottery shop. I think Ken (KBK) would throw up if he saw what I did to this turntable. The only reason he would let this slide is because it was done in the interest of science.

Chip S.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Damn, I don't have a turntable. Will it work with CDs or cassettes? :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hey guys...where is the anit-reflective coating? Is it on the outside of the lenses (closest to the screen), on the inside, or on the back of the lens (closest to the CRT face)? I have minor scratches on 2 of my lenses (HD-8 REV B) that look like they were caused by the lens caps. I would like to know If I can use this trick to fix them without damaging anything else (ie. the anti-reflective coating).

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
John,

I think there is coating on several of the lens surfaces or at least there appears to be on my lenses.

The coating people refer to in this tread is on the outer most surface of the lenses (closest to the screen). It's very bad to damage the inner surfaces of the lenses from what I've read.

If you look at the lenses and they appear purple then this coating is still there. If they appear clear then it's gone.

-Brian

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks Brian. I can defintely see a tint...I call it "magenta". I didn't know if it was on the inside or outside of the lens. If it is on the outside, I'll leave well enough alone.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
John,

The toothpaste thing is best left to lenses that are pretty trashed already. Scratches on the outer surface of the lens that don't bother you much are best left as they are. (If you can).

I think there are other parts of the lenses that have some coating as well so the coating of the outermost lens could be gone even if you see a tint to the lenses.

The guy who started the toothpaste research had a severely damages lens and nothing to lose.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Hi,

A single scratch or two, does not warrant a polishing. My XG135 had a single scratch on one of its lens, and caused no effect to the image. Light each point of the CRT spread out and go through the whole lens surface before converging to a single point on the screen (aka pixel). A single hairline scratch obscures only about 0.1% of the light (unform light reduction for the entire screen) meaning no effect on the image at all.

Only do this trick on lens that are pretty much trashed...

·
Registered
87 Posts
My lenses seem pretty good, however the color corrected coating on the screen side of the lenses are a bit scratched.

So does anyone know a way to restore these lenses?

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Mark,

If you were to go back to the original post on this subject the lens in question looked as if someone tried to clean it with a scotchbrite pad. I was just fooling around with it because it was junk anyways. I was surprised at how fast the toothpaste was able to bring back it's original luster, minus the anti-reflective coating of course. I had done some searching around and as of yet not been able to come up with a user installed replacement coating.

Chip S.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.