AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what kind of results are people getting with the new Digital Video Essentials DVD & new PHD6 Panny plasmas. I received my copy of the new DV Essentials DVD last Thu and watched it over the weekend. The strange thing is though, after going through the whole thing, I ended up doing very minimal changes to the settings. Unless I'm missing something, my plasma seemed to be very close to being calibrated out of the box. Granted, all of the settings were set to or very close the the middle range, and I didn't do anything at all to the advanced settings. Picture with DVD's is outstanding and D*TV is very descent.

Am I missing something?? Anybody else try this combination yet? I guess I was under the impression that plasmas, as most other monitors needed quite a bit of calibrating after taking them out of the box.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Which test pattern did you use to calibrate Contrast?

The Video stated that the basic contrast calibration was for CRT's (test for blooming) and they they would mention how to calibrate non-crt's in the next section.

I never found it. Can somebody shed some light on this for me?

What pattern did you use?

What was the test?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't have DVE but I have used AVIA. For me, the contrast (Picture) was probably the hardest to set because it didn't seem to change very much. I only knew that the default setting (25) was way too high.

Here are the settings I ended up with:

DTV via S-video:

Standard Mode

Picture (0)

Brightness (-12)

Color (6)

Tint (3)

Sharpness (-5)

Color Temp (Normal)

DVD (Panny RP-62) via component:

Standard Mode

Picture (0)

Brightness (-6)

Color (1)

Tint (-1)

Sharpness (-2)

Color Temp (Normal)

I would be very interested in hearing what settings anyone else is using for this panel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't remember the exact numbers, but if my memory serves me right your DVD settings look very similar to what I ended up with. I'll check when I get home tonight and post the settings from my panel then.

As far as test patterns, the new Video Essentials DVD isn't too specific about tests for non-CRT's. It only suggests you try other tests in the "Reference" area. I tried a few of those and got almost the same results as what I got with the basic calibration test. I couldn't find anything specific to non-CRT's either. Maybe I missed something too.

Oh, and I'm using "Standard" mode too by the way. Vivid was too Bright.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkMSM
Which test pattern did you use to calibrate Contrast?

The Video stated that the basic contrast calibration was for CRT's (test for blooming) and they they would mention how to calibrate non-crt's in the next section.

I never found it. Can somebody shed some light on this for me?

What pattern did you use?

What was the test?
Hah, I was irritated by the same bait and switch. They never explicitly covered it in the later narrative. I'm sure one of the zillion patterns in the advanced section would cover it but I don't know which one. Surprising that it is given so little prominence since the whole point of the new version of DVE is to cover digital monitors, and plasmas and lcds are certainly a big part of that world.

Avia has a few patterns that cover this for plasma owners.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My setting are very close to Spinynorman

Component:

Contrast (5)

Brightness (-7)

Color (0)

Tint (0)

Sharpness (-5)

All where calibrated by DVE, except Contrast since the blooming test is for CRT's and Front Projectors. My contrast setting is just arbitrary based on my preferences.

I'm looking for a pattern to help me calibrate the Contrast.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I was disappointed in that there was not one word about Plasma displays. The new Digital Video Essentials focus was on CRT and Projector displays IMO.

I wonder if the color temperature of the BLUE filter calibration is leaning toward what type of displays ...Projectors??. It definitely is not the same color as the previous.

The Contrast is covered later. It discusses about adjusting the Brightness and Contrast to obtain correct performance within the linear range of the display....I don't recall what chapter is was in.

John

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope, never heard the word "Plasma" or any reference to any other display type other than CRT's or Projectors.

I was somewhat disappointed with this video too. Nowhere on the description do they mention that the main focus of the video is on CRT's and projectors. Heck, even my wife who sat down to watch it with me for 5 minutes noticed and asked "do they even mention anything other than CRT's and projectors?" :rolleyes:

IMO, this new DVEssentials is a good starter, but it still leaves me to wonder if I could do better with something else.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used DVE on an AKAI and I'm extermely disappointed with the entire DVD. Way too much time spent on explaining the different connection types and running through the same video clips. Not nearly enough time walking you through the different calibrations. No explanation on the different test patterns.

Moving sharpness from 0-100 I could see no difference in the test pattern. I also could not get it to bloom cranking away on brightness and contrast. I think it is designed for CRT and Rear projectors only and they do a disservice selling this DVD to calibrate Plasma displays.

Also how would you used DVE to set up picture quality for a different input? My Akai has different settings for TV, RCA, Component1, Component2 and S-video. I can only get the test patterns into S-video and the component inputs.

Metz

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Metz,

Setting up other inputs is always a guess. I take the settings from where my DVD is connected (in my case DVI) and use those settings as a starting point. I have used my RP82 to calibrate the other component inputs, however the settings could be offset by the "players" characteristics.

As I said above: I was disappointed that there was not one word about Plasma Displays; with their own phosphor characteristics. :(

John

·
Registered
15,466 Posts

·
23,039 Posts
As with the original VE, there is a Snell and Wilcox pattern that has

the "little white box within a slightly bigger white box". If you see

both white boxes, contrast is set ok wrt "not crushing whites", I believe

is the term. There is also an analagous black box within a black box

for black level - besides the other patterns with pluge, 4% and 2%

video black. Avia has "moving white bars" to help set contrast - similar

to the moving black bars.

What I did with contrast is set it below the "crush" point, set black level,

and then see how I like the PQ. Then set while level lower, then black,

then evaluate. Etc. Then I picked the level I liked best. For CRTs,

the lower the while level, the better off you are. Not sure if that

applies to plasma life or not. Also, I don't know where white level

fits into grey scale calibration or color temp.

I wasn't impressed that much with DVE wrt new ways to calibrate

the video. However, I was quite impressed on how well they could

make a DVD look. I wish movie DVDs looked that good!

larry

·
Registered
476 Posts
PooperScooper

After a movie is digitized, it undergoes intensive filtering process to remove as much randomness as possible (grain, imperfections etc.) before it undergoes MPEG compression.

On one hand, this results in a "movie", i.e. smooth, look. On the other hand, the actual image resolution seems to be lower than what a DVD medium can deliver. Some DVD extras shot with high-quality video gear look stunning compared to the movie itself.

Mike

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Rich.........Thanks for the link. I have read reference to the "Steaming Rat" method of adjusting images and thought it was only for the "Inner Circle" of the chosen ones! :D

Very good concept, I'll give it a try.

John

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
If one uses the "Steaming Rat" method, only one setup disk is enough to establish a baseline; otherwise I still prefer to have the AVIA and the DVE as they both contribute to the 'education of configuration'.

At this moment (I only spent 1hr. with DVE) I still prefer the AVIA for setups, however the DVE has some stunning demo video and does offer an alternative to setups @ 16X9.

Just my opinion!

John

·
23,039 Posts
Mike,

You're right, none of the stuff on DVE was "film". I believe all the

video on DVE was mastered at 1080P, then converted to 480P

for the NTSC component DVD. I bet the D-VHS DVE really looks sweet.

larry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.