AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some say that turning it towards the wall flattens the frequency curve considerably.

Any truth to that statement?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843  /t/1470537/anybody-turn-there-subs-so-that-theyre-firing-at-the-wall#post_23258843

Some say that turning it towards the wall flattens the frequency curve considerably.

Any truth to that statement?
Yes. Low frequency response is extended as the driver is better acoustically loaded, while THD is improved as the harmonic distortion component frequencies don't go around corners as easily as the program frequencies, which are full omni-directional. Down firing is even better, if the cab is on a carpet, as the carpet further reduces reflected harmonics.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Here are the frequency responses for one of my subs pointed at the listening position (blue) and back towards the wall (orange):

You may not be able to tell which orientation is better just by listening. Using a tool like OmniMic to measure & compare the responses is the best way to optimize your sub locations & orientation.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I measured mine in different configurations in the same corner, and there were only very slight (inaudible) changes... like mayby 1 dB if I recall correctly.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry L  /t/1470537/anybody-turn-there-subs-so-that-theyre-firing-at-the-wall#post_23262691

How close to the wall are we talking about? 12", 24" 2", doesn't matter?
It does matter, but you have to measure the response to find what works best with your subs in your room.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply's everybody!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have experienced the opposite results but be cautioned that I am merely using my untrained ears to measure the response (in the end it has to sound good to the listener right?
). I have a sub in a desktop setup where my desk is in the top right corner of my room if you view it from above. My sub used to face the wall to the right which is about 2 feet away from the driver and this made my sub incredibly boomy (all the lower frequencies sounded about the same) . I did some reading and decided to rotate my sub 180 degrees so now it faces the far wall and everything sounds much more detailed and I can differentiate between the different frequencies much more easily. I wonder if I can get it to sound even better if I rotate the sub such that it faces me but I fear kicking in the driver by accident

Based off of what you guys have been saying though I might try to turn it so that it faces the wall in front of me so that there's only an inch between the wall and driver. I am a bit reluctant though because I spent about a million hours organizing my cables

1 - 9 of 9 Posts