Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the text from the rtv warranty:

"ReplayTV ("ReplayTV") warrants your series ReplayTV ("the ReplayTV") and any included ReplayTV accessories against defects in material or workmanship as follows:

LABOR: For a period of ninety (90) days from the date of purchase ("the Warranty Period"), if the ReplayTV is determined to be defective, ReplayTV will repair or replace the unit, at its option, at no charge, or pay the labor charges to any ReplayTV authorized service facility. After the Warranty period, the customer must pay for all labor charges.

PARTS: For a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase, ReplayTV will supply, at no charge, a new or rebuilt ReplayTV unit in exchange for a defective unit. After the Warranty Period, parts are available from ReplayTV authorized service facilities or a ReplayTV Service Center at your expense"

Both the parts and labor warranty sound like they're essentially the same thing, except for the 1st 90 days they repair or replace with new, the remainder of the year they replace with new or rebuilt. There doesn't seem to be any "parts" replacement under the "parts" warranty.

Now, what I'd really like to know is if I upgrade to a bigger drive is the warranty now defunct, and if I do have to use the warranty, would they replace my 5040 with a 5540, which I wouldn't want? Does anybody know?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
ReplayTV has always replaced with the same model. You send in a 5040, you get a 5040 in return, so no worries there. However, you break the warranty seal, that means your warranty is over. Most people wait 30 to 90 days before breaking that seal to upgrade the drive.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Quote:
You send in a 5040, you get a 5040 in return, so no worries there.
But won't there come a time when there won't be any 5040's left, or do you think they're so relatively similar that if you send in a 5040 unit, you'll get something back that has CA and IVS....

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brian7972
But won't there come a time when there won't be any 5040's left, or do you think they're so relatively similar that if you send in a 5040 unit, you'll get something back that has CA and IVS....

The 5504 is essentially the same except for the software/firmware I'd imagine they could just flash it or something to be a 5040, but it is just a guess on my part.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I just sent back a 4504 for warranty repair. They shipped a replacement out the same day they received mine. So total turnaround time was two weeks. The point being, that if they have 4500 series replays sitting around for fast turnaround, they most definitely will have 5000 series replays.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 5150
They're required to keep a certain level of inventory for warranty replacement.
Required? By whom ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davester2

Both the parts and labor warranty sound like they're essentially the same thing, except for the 1st 90 days they repair or replace with new, the remainder of the year they replace with new or rebuilt. There doesn't seem to be any "parts" replacement under the "parts" warranty.

I totally agree, Davester2.

But here's another problem:

Evidently, ReplayTV has recently been imposing a ~$50 "Labor" Charge for swapping out defective units during the first year after purchase?!?

The clear language in the "Parts" Warranty states that during the first year, defective units will be exchanged for a new or rebuilt unit at no charge!

What's going on there?

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well I'll be...

I guess it ISN'T impossible to get a warranty exchange between 91-365 days without paying the bogus $50 "Labor" Charge, because after several lawyer-like emails, a friend of mine was actually granted a special, one-time-only dispensation last Friday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.