Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have heard great things about Rel sub's for 2 channel playback. They seem to match very well for musical playback.

But I was curious to see if Rel owners like using these subs for Hometheater playback as well.

Any input would be appreciated.

Sincerely, Brian

·
Registered
345 Posts
I used a REL Storm with my Magneplanars very successfully.

I think their unique feature is the bare wire connector that can be connected to a 2 channel amp.

This makes REL an excellent choice for those that don't have a pre/processor.

They are still can excellent sub for HT use, they simply have more competitors that work in that environment.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I use a REL Strata with my active Linn Tukans/5120 combination. I do bass management via my pre/pro (Theta Casanova), though the REL's xovers are apparently very good also.

My view is that if you do music well, you'll do HT okay too. The converse is not a given.

Claude

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
i've been using a rel stadium II for several years with watt puppies and it is great. I used to have it wired so the line level imputs were tapped off of the L/R speaker inputs and the discrete LFE channel was sent to the low level in. this way the Rel crossover would pick out the lows.

now i am using the lexicon a/v processor and letting that do the crossing over, only sending a low level signal which also contains any LFE material.

the rel works very well.

·
Registered
555 Posts
jlm

I recently auditioned the Stadium III and I liked it.

Do you know what the difference is between the II and III ?

Someone on audioreview posted that the Stadium can be set up so that the crossover is active for stereo music, but not on LFE material. Is this possible?

Thanx

·
Registered
733 Posts
I currently use a Rel Strata III to augment my N804 mains, and a Sunfire True Sub MkII for LFE. I have used just the Strata III for the mains and LFE. It actually sounded pretty good. I plan to get another Strata III next year, mainly for 2 channel use. I plan to hook it up for LFE also. I have a feeling that I'll probably not use the Sunfire after that...

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
not sure about the differences; i know the II uses a "unique" set of input connectors and the III might have become more standardized. on the II, i believe the crossover works for both low and high level inputs. shouldn't be a problem, since anything in the lfe channel should be sub 100hz anyway.

re connectors: the II has three xlr connectors, each is three wire:

1. wired as a normal balanced line level input: + sig, -sig, ground; for balanced line level outs from your pre-amp;

2. wired as L, R, ground; for line level outs (stereo if using both L and R, mono if only L) from your pre-amp;

3. wired as L,R, ground; from your high level speaker terminals: +L, +R and either speaker -.

i think the III might use rca connectors.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Quote:
I think their unique feature is the bare wire connector that can be connected to a 2 channel amp.
Quite a few sub amps & crossovers incorporate this feature. The quality of the crossover (in the other products) is of course up for debate. External crossovers (like Paradigm's X-20/30) may be a solution for those who like this feature and need the quality.

Personally, I am not a big fan of REL's ST line for HT use (haven't heard the Q series). The output levels at low frequencies were lacking when compared to other subs in the same price range (Studio II vs. Aerial SW12 vs. Revel B15). (The Aerial and REL were auditioned in the same exact room & placement.) Since all three companies mentioned make (IMO) a good looking enclosure, I feel the decision comes down to price/performance. For competition with the lower end of REL's line, I feel the sealed Paradigm Servo-15 is capable of more output and extension (with equal musicality) vs. the Strata & Storm series. YMMV...

·
Registered
555 Posts
I am very seriously considering the Rel Stadium III for use in my home theatre/music system. I auditioned the Aerial SW-12 and found that during a demo scene in the "The Haunting" the SW-12 could not handle it and made a "farting" noise. Someone else on AVS had posted about this and my experience was the same. I was also surprised that when the SW-12 was added to the Aerial 8's, using Bob Marley as the source, the Bass sounded less distinct and I didn't care for it. We isolated the SW-12 by turning off the amp to the mains and confirmed that the Bass wasn't distinct coming from the SW-12.

I was surprised by these results based on all the almost universal positive feedback the SW-12 gets. I am a huge fan of Aerial's other speakers and own 2 pairs of 10T's, a CC5 and a pair of SR3's.

I auditioned the Rel Stadium in a different store with different equipment in the same room as a Velodyn 15". I found the Velodyne to be vague. The Rel Stadium III was articulate and I could more easily distinguish different Bass notes as well as special effects. (I listened to the demo material with the mains on and off.) The Rel seemed to handle the scene from "The Haunting" that the SW-12 couldn't. In fact when I calibrated the speaker levels through the MC-12 I had to adjust the Rel to -6.5 db with the volume on the Rel turned way down to achieve an equal 77 db on all channels.

I am by no means an expert on subs, but I figured I would post my observations.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
my rel doesn't fart or fart around, but i do and have and with it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I am putting back together my main system which previously had 2 Storm IIIs which with the two inputs, high and low level allowed both use for theater and music with appropriate setting for each. I am going to move the Strata III from my bedroom system for the rears and use a Q150 in the center. For music, with the ability of the sub to use a wide range of crossovers it is excellent. Many subs only have a crossover that is from 35HZ and up which won't match up to speakers that can play at or below that level since bass frequencies sum and you end up with a huge bass bump at certain frequencies. Many subs do in fact have more output for HT use, I in fact have another major brand sub in my bedroom, another one ear marked for the basement system when I get to that and I have tried several others. Some put out a great deal of bass but not as smoothly as the Rel. If one is looking strickly for HT bass and wants more output there may be better choices. A Rel is best in a HT system where one can turn off the DSP and use both crossovers set appropriately for music and movies.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I auditioned a REL storm at home for 3 weeks and loved it -- but went with a testosterone-loaded house-frame threatening Bag End instead. My only regret in my current system is not getting the REL.

Regards, Michael

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.