AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it working out for you? I'm picking up a Wii this holiday, and I'm trying to figure out how well the wiimote acts like a regular controller for classic games (like the Super Mario Limited Edition that comes out in December). Is it comfortable?

Is it workable?

I'd rather save the 20 bucks if I can.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy /forum/post/19514061

How's it working out for you? I'm picking up a Wii this holiday, and I'm trying to figure out how well the wiimote acts like a regular controller for classic games (like the Super Mario Limited Edition that comes out in December). Is it comfortable?

Is it workable?

I'd rather save the 20 bucks if I can.

For NES games, it's very workable. The Wii remote was actually designed so that if you turn it sideways, it's just like an old NES gamepad.

If you want to play any systems that have more buttons than an NES, though... you'll need either a Classic controller, or a Gamecube controller.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
If you do go for a Classic @ some point, go with the newer Classic Pro. A mishmash btwn a PS2/3 controller & the old GC Wavebird (in dimensions, at least) - much more comfortable that the older style Classic or it's 3rd party cousin, the Nyko Wing.

More recent Wii titles are seeing Classic support than in the past, esp amongst 3rd parties. Activision's 2 big recent Wii shooters (Goldeneye 007 & COD: Black Ops) feature "traditional" dual-analog FPS controls via the Classic/Classic Pro in addition to the Wiimote/nunchuk or Wii Zapper "point & shoot".

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
For New Super Mario Brothers which comes with the Red 25th Anniversary Wii the best control method is with the WiiMote sideways and it works perfectly in Classic style.

But of course theres the B button underneath plus all the Motion control so it has more buttons and actions that your brain sees and thinks oh this will suck classic controller style with just 2 buttons.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I thought it was a lot easier to use the nunchuk for NSMB. Holding B and shaking was a lot easier than holding 1 and shaking.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eh ... NSMB is on my list to pick up - not sure about the Anniversary Edition because I'm just not down w/ the Red though its a good deal ...

So, on the classic B was inside and A was outside right? How do the controls map on the wiimote?

And how do the controls map if you are using the wiimote and nunchuck? I didn't even know you could do that !

·
Registered
875 Posts
A is Jump and B is fireball if I remember right. Basically A is 2 and B is 1, I cant remember what Z and C do. Some might prefer the D-pad for a 2D game. Also all the on-screen instructions are for the Wiimote control scheme.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts