AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to upgrade / change my current hard drive as my ex-demo unit can not connect.. has anyone used a laptop drive before? I was thinking of using an IBM 40GB travelstar with an adapter (I currently use it in my desktop for backup - speed is 4800RPM) - is there an issue with that setup that anyone can think of?

Thanks

HB

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
What do you mean "can't connect".

Did you buy one of those ancient "new" Panasonic Showstoppers? How many of these things can there be on the planet? If so yo can re-image the existing drive. There is no reason you can't use a laptop drive. You would just need the adaper. But is 40gig enough? and some IBM drives have been shown not to work well in Replays.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
With the prices on desktop mass storage being what they are I can't imagine not putting in at least a 100gig, and start recording EVERYTHING in medium or high.

Of course that's gonna cost more that the free drive you have. On the plus side, the laptop drive should cool the unit down a bit. The speed may be an issue but I doubt it'll be a 'showstopper' to use a phase.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Bad idea. Laptop drives are not made to be operated 24/7 like desktop drives. I have a Toshiba Magnia server appliance that uses laptop drives and the OS specifically handles this limitation by spinning them down when not in use ASAP. A Toshiba engineer specifically warned me of this when I replaced the stock OS.

Not to mention cost and size limitations and slower speeds.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
provide more details on your unit, as it might not be the drive that is the problem. An old version of software could also cause the cannot connext issues (assuming you have a 3k/showstopper series unit).

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scyber
provide more details on your unit, as it might not be the drive that is the problem. An old version of software could also cause the cannot connext issues (assuming you have a 3k/showstopper series unit).
I'm with you Scyber. He's probably got 2.0 in his "ex-demo" recorder and needs to mirror a 3.0 or 3.02 disk image so the modem can connect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.