AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody using any of the RTA software that is available out there - installers or tweakers? If so, what? and what mics are being used to work with which software?

I'm considering dedicating a laptop with an outboard sound card and mic pre to be used for room calibrations, but I wanted to get some advice from others first.

Any experience anybody has with this will be appreciated.

thanks,

Brent Huskins

Media Design

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
You'd likely benefit from a MLS based software rather than RTA. Check out ETF acoustic's software. In addition to frequency response, it has distortion measurements, RT60 times, and more. The impulse generated measurements seem to be very useful for room calibration, and the RT60 capability is priceless.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I really like the Goldline software. It provides 1/12 octave to 1/3 octave resolution, Provides RT-60 measurements, and it has the option of hooking up the matrix-which you do not need if you want to move your mics around the space. I am leaving out a lot but it's 12:30 in the East. I think it is a very good tool and they offer updates to the software at reasonable costs. I think their latest option ( which I do not have ) includes FFT analysis.

I also like that you can talk to a human being when you have difficulties. The Millers design and build the product and they also field tech support. They know of what they speak.

Alan

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I can also recommend the MLS-based ETF5 solution (which also has 1/12 octave precision). I use it with a battery operated laptop, and a battery operated mic-preamp and calibrated mic.

It really helps you nail room bass modal peak/null problems, speaker placement, sub crossover optimization, and reflection problems. I've been using it since version 4, for about 4-5 years.

It also generates 3D Waterfall charts, really helpful for bass response.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Another vote for ETF. For a great guide on how to use for room EQ check out www.tagmclarenaudio.com. Go into the VIP Club and look for the room EQ stuff.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm currently using the following:

TrueAudio TrueRTA 1/24th octave

Behringer EH8000 Mic

Behringer Mic Pre

Delta410

Although TrueRTA is very nice for looking at the frequency domain, it does nothing in the time domain. I'll be moving to ETF soon.

Wes

·
Registered
336 Posts
Anybody using the SIASoft's SmaartLive?

I'm also looking for tools for room calibrations, the SmaartLive looks very "advance"...

Regards,

·
Registered
561 Posts
I used the ETF and speactralab to setup the position of my speakers, it was specially helpful to properly calibrate the sub with my mains. Without this tools, I say we can't do it right.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Adzan I am a pro live sound engineer. I work for two of the biggest concert speaker manufactures in the world Meyer Sound and VDOSC. I am a Meyer certified SIM engineer and a Smarrt engineer. These are the best. An RTA can not help you find room reflections phase response and delay, but these 2 programs can. Anyone interested in learning more email me at [email protected]

Steve

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
For those using the ETF 5.xxx software , can you explain , briefly , how you connect your laptops to a multi-channel receiver or pre/pro to produce individual outputs from each of the speakers ?

I'm assuming that this would be required to produce accurate delay time measurements for each channel .

I'm missing something obvious in the hook-up sequence.

Thanks in advance ,

Scott.....................:confused:

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Hey speco, good to see others here with real measurement experience.

SMAART has a nice interface and some great features, yet I'm not sure how well suited it really is for home theater calibrations given the cost. A package which AVS members should realy look into is the WinMLS 2000 system as can be found here: http://www.winmls.com/

This is a seriously capable measurement system. The only thing it really lacks is an RTA, but low frequency measurements can easily be taken with long sweeps. If you are patient you can run sweeps for low frequency measurements or just pick up something like TrueRTA. A unique offering it has is the log-swept-sine measurement.

What is most interesting for HT enthusiasts is that they offer a "Personal" version for under $100 for those not using it for business, as well as a 30 day trial of the full working version. So far as hardware required, I believe they plan to soon sell a microphone which will be capable of being connected directly to the microphone output of a sound card.

For those looking for a very advanced measurement system for those charging to calibrate systems keep an eye on Gold-Line as there has been talk of a software driven version of the TEF analyzer which will be a good deal less expensive than the current TEF 20 from what I have heard.

Regards,

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
-bump-

We need more talk of measurements and what to do with them!

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Quote:
We need more talk of measurements and what to do with them!
My company does home theater acoustical testing, diagnosis, recommendations, treatment, and even home theater acoustical certification - nationwide. We have patent pending technology that makes us the "first and only."

We don't do anything that any other experienced professional acousticians couldn't do. We just make it affordable and easy for HT owners.

Regards,

Terry

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Mark,

Now that I've built my own speakers I tried out a bunch of measurement programs, including ETF, TrueRTA, SpectraLab, SpectraRTA, WinMLS 2000, LSPCad, and some others that have oozed from my noggin.

I settled on TrueRTA for RTA and ETF for MLS because of cost and ease of use reasons. Is there anything about WinMLS2000 that you think is particularly nifty, especially compared to ETF?

I use ETF/TrueRTA for crossover optimization and also for bass room correction via my dbx Driverack.

Cheers

Steve

·
Premium Member
25,377 Posts
"A package which AVS members should realy look into is the WinMLS 2000 ...The only thing it really lacks is an RTA, but low frequency measurements can easily be taken "

Their web site shows that it does frequency response; isn't that what RTA is? Maybe they've added it since then?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
another vote for etf. it was a little difficult to learn but once over the learning curve it is real handy. :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
For the folks using the ETF software, do you have any recommendations for soundcards and microphones?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Steve,

The soundcard doesn't really matter, because the software uses one channel of the stereo pair as a calibration benchmark.

I use a calibrated DIY mic/preamp here . You can buy a mic/preamp set from ETF, get a Behringer 8000 mic and locate a mic-preamp, use the RS SPL meter's RCA output, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.