AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone out there has been using an Xbox with the high def option on an LT150 yet. I want to know if the LT150 syncs properly on the signal and what it looks like. And how about games that don't support hig def? Are they still anamorphic 16:9? How do they look? Any other issues? Anyone with an Xbox and any projector? Please report.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts

I just got finished with an Xbox session tonight. Here is a quick rundown.

A few games support widescreen and most Dolby Digital; but none-yet support HD. Everything runs at 480p except the openning credits which is 480i. The LT150 syncs pretty rock-solid with the input I saw some slight "flickering" in one of the demos on the Halo disk but that was all in about 6 hours of use and that could have been due to the source.

Here is my general set-up with exceptions noted below.

Brightness : 3 clicks up from 50%

Contrast : 60%

Color: 60%

Red contrast : 3 clicks up from 50%

Green contrast : 2 clicks up from 50%

White segment: on

Gamma: Natural 2

As you can see the output of the X-box is a little dark for my tastes. (This is typical of a lot of games and game systems out right not - "Cool dude, this game so dark! It so wicked that I can barely see anything" etc... :rolleyes: ) The above settings will very "slightly" wash out detail in brights scenes; but it really helps you make out details in the dark scenes. A small number of games have an adjustable gamma setting but I didn't play around with that.

Individual settings and my initial ratings of the following games are below:

HALO:

4:3 Aspect ratio only

Awesome Dolby Digital - A little more low bass like Quake III would be nice.

Very smooth motion even in 4 player battle.

As a bonus, a very playable demo of Fusion Frenzy comes with it.

9 out of 10 initial rating.

PROJECT GOTHAM:

4:3 Aspect Ratio only

Decent Dolby Digital but could be better

Dark Images! I had to put the contrast up to 70%

8 out of 10 initial rating

MADDEN 2002

16:9 aspect ratio support

Good Dolby Digital

Pretty good graphics but only PS2 quality.

I am still getting used to the controls.

8 out of 10 initial rating.

DOA3

16:9 aspect ratio support

Good Dolby Digital

Excellent graphics

If you like fighting games, this is your game.

I did see some rainbows on occasion with this title; but not much.

Don't quote me but I think the last two games are the only two that support widescreen currently. You set-up the Xbox to output 480p either widescreen (when available) or 4:3 only. You can also tell it wether or not your TV supports 720p or 1080i. This isn't important now but will become important when HD games like Test Drive come out.

I believe these are also most of the Dolby Digital games currently available. Like I mentioned overall the Dolby Digital was quite nice but it didn't have a whole lot of 40Hz and lower stuff.

Well that's my review. I really think the product is worth it and I can safely say I severly doubt I will ever play a game on my HTPC again. It is strickly for movies now. No more hardware compatibility issues and I get Dolby Digital sound (Dude!!!)

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
574 Posts
MrWiggles,

Nice review. I spent an hour with the Xbox in the store last night. It was my first experience with it, I've always been a computer game guy.

I must say, it was nice and I really am thinking about getting one - and that was even playing it on a 20" samsung. I can only imagine that on the big screen with digital sound.

Keep the reviews coming, those who get a chance. It looks to be a pretty good product.

Brian

·
Registered
305 Posts
I too have an X-Box I've only had time to play Halo so far, very fun game. Some comments:

480p doesn't work on my G1000, so I had to switch to 480i. :(

Dark scenes are a killer, I had to zoom my size down a bit and crank up the brightness (really looking forward to Dilard calibration!)

I haven't played Dead or Alive 3 yet, but I swear it was supposed to support 1080i or 720p, I downloaded several screenshots that are 1280 X 960.

Dead or Alive

Jeremy

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
The confusion of DOA3 supporting HD has originated from the Xbox magazine becuase they said it looks good on an HDTV.

It is very good 480p. Both my eyes and my LT150 tell me that.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hrmm... Weird. Where did those screenshots come from then? They don't look scaled.

Jeremy

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Jeremy,

I took the image into photoshop and there are some definite one pixel wide elements in the picture. It was therefore rendered at 960p, Your eyes are correct in that it wasn't enlarged from 480p.

But as the 960p indicates, this isn't an available resolution. My guess is this image was created as some form of promo screen shots to hype the product. A little misleading to say the least.

The game looks good but not this good.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
305 Posts
That is deceptive, and effective. One of the main reasons I preordered an X-Box was because, due to these screen shots, I was under the impression that there would be HD games available on release day. Oh well, I would have bought one eventually anyway, once the Buffy game came out.

Jeremy

·
Registered
889 Posts
Just finished hooking up my Xbox to my G15 a few minutes ago. It syned to 480p just fine, though as others have said it was very dark.

Unfortunately I can't zoom my projector in enough to fit a 4:3 image on my 16:9 screen, so I'm going to have to leave some of it cut off the bottom, I guess.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I saw xbox on my friends sony RP HD TV and I was blown away with the picture quality. i'm getting a lt150 soon and I'm wondering If the picture will be close to what I saw. I gather that in comparing the lt150 to a RP television with a good signal the only drawdack will be a weaker black level. other that this it should be pretty close. would you agree?

Bill

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can you guys who have an X-Box tell me a little more about the dashboard ?

What can you adjust in the video section ?

Can you adjust resolution and refresh rates like a PC can ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.