AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ripping pretty much everything (normal dvd and blu rays) to mkv. Is there any reason to buy AnyDVD HD vs. just buying MakeMKV? I didn't realize that MakeMKV has it's own decoder, which you actually have to purchase. If I don't intend to do anything but rip everything to mkv, will I ever need AnyDVD HD (i.e. does MakeMKV fail sometimes?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
I have only found a few that MakeMKV doesn't like, but ripping the disk to iso via anydvd, and then putting that iso into MakeMKV worked fine. This doesnt happen all that often, however.


So, barring the rare ocurances, you don't need anydvd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It said I had a 30 day trial. I'm assuming at the end of that it'll ask for a purchase...maybe that's for only Blu Ray rips though. I haven't gotten that same message when doing just normal DVD rips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGalt /forum/post/19560806


It said I had a 30 day trial. I'm assuming at the end of that it'll ask for a purchase...maybe that's for only Blu Ray rips though. I haven't gotten that same message when doing just normal DVD rips.

Currently he supplies a new beta key every month so it will be essentially free for BluRay as long as that continues. He has not said how long that will be (probably until he decides that it is no longer beta).


DVD will always be free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
I was searching makemvk vs anydvd to see if there was a strong preference one way or the other - two comments in makemvk favor:


Currently (not sure if this will change) it is a one time fee

and

(more important for me)

it works on linux

-

Still I would be curious if anyone has found a major difference between the two (esp for blur-ray).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,654 Posts
I don't think there is any one time fee yet. You just keep installing it. Or get a new free license or however you do it. Its in beta.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
What I would like to do is pipe the output of makemkv into mencoder or handbreak but I get the feeling I can't do that. Don't really want to store blue-ray mkv file; mostly just want to convert it to something I can play on my (non-apple) tablet. 99% of the time I watch movies while stuck in airports as oppose to at home.


Hum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel
If you like ripping to MKV before watching, then MakeMKV is probably ok for you.

If you ever decide you want more, want the extras, want the menu - you may not be 100% happy with pure MKVs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,652 Posts
If you don't want to first have to rip to mkv to then convert with another program, then you need anydvd. Anydvd will strip the encryption for any program toread th disc, so yhou could convert straight from the disc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by you28
What I would like to do is pipe the output of makemkv into mencoder or handbreak but I get the feeling I can't do that. Don't really want to store blue-ray mkv file; mostly just want to convert it to something I can play on my (non-apple) tablet. 99% of the time I watch movies while stuck in airports as oppose to at home.


Hum.
This will work just fine. You can convert to mkv first. Then use Me or handbrake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier /forum/post/19560864


Currently he supplies a new beta key every month so it will be essentially free for BluRay as long as that continues. He has not said how long that will be (probably until he decides that it is no longer beta).


DVD will always be free.

It was asking for me to purchase it when my 30 days ended. I ponied up the $50 and got a key, didn't realize I could keep using it for free. Either way, it's great software, works great for playback within media center without needing to mount iso's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Ok I know this is a wee bit of an old thread, but I recently just got into ripping my blu rays for playback on PC.


My question is:


I ripped a blu ray using both AnyDVD HD and MakeMKV.


Now is it just me, or does AnyDVD HD make a better quality rip? Should there really be any difference in the quality? It seems that colours look a little better and overall the image quality looks a little better from the AnyDVD HD rip.


My predicament is: The sound is all screwy on my AnyDVD HD rip. About 4-5 times throughout the movie (roughly every 20-30 minutes) the sound gets all distorted and sounds like a VHS when its sound goes all funky.


Just a bad rip?


But if anyone could comment on whether I should be seeing a difference in quality or not, I would greatly appreciate it.


I would prefer to stick with MakeMKV as it uses less space and playback in VLC is usually smoother (even with a Sandy Bridge i5-2500K and 8GB of DDR3-1600, trying to skip around in a movie freezes up playing the AnyDVD HD rip for minutes at a time while it tries to resume, as opposed to the mkv file just instantly resuming wherever I tell it to).


Basically, I just want the highest quality rip, in both audio and video quality. I dont care about space, ive got 10TB+ of space kicking around, so I just want the absolute highest quality closest to source material as I can from these blu ray rips if possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 /forum/post/20592061


Unless you are re-encoding there will be no difference in quality, all you are doing is taking the video and audio streams and swapping the container formats.

I agree. If they are ripped without any re-encoding they should be the same. You may want to decrease the speed of your drive to see if that makes a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin
I agree. If they are ripped without any re-encoding they should be the same. You may want to decrease the speed of your drive to see if that makes a difference.
It could just be paranoid old me and my stupid eyesight.


But as for the sound issue in AnyDVD HD? Just a bad rip?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top